PDA

View Full Version : anti-racism??

numb...
01-28-2003, 12:15 AM
My mate pointed out to me the overtones of racism in the song... "black then white are all i see in my infancy", meaning the division between black & white is immature...and reaching out to me, meaning that this racism is affecting him. And "seperates the body from the mind," meaning we should see people as what there minds are like... not what there body colour is."
The spiral reference meaning like a cycle, i once meet a raciest tool fan in a chat room, saying "tool is just for the whiteys." Just trying to prove him wrong.

(i think tool songs may be more political then you think...)

the reverend
01-28-2003, 04:06 AM
Hmmmm... interesting thought.
Ive always thought it had more to do with growing and evolving and thinking differently but your idea is quite good.

Sora
02-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Definately puts a new spin on things. Good thinking.

seeker
02-11-2003, 04:36 PM
well, to each his own... i don't get anything about racism out of it, though i can see how you do. i'm just sick of the whole notion of racism... it's not the epidemic people make it out to be.

awwww shoot
02-11-2003, 05:51 PM
It seems to me that black then white are used to describe a once closed-minded point of view. When red and yellow come, it means you're open to more opportunities.

I'm thinking that black and white aren't colors, they're just shades. Red and yellow are actual colors, so I suppose the shades represent only seeing the outside of things and not delving into them and finding that there are colors beyond the shades.

I doubt it's a reference to racism. It's obvious that racism is terribly stupid. Accepting all people is part of spiritual growth and communicative development.

seeker
02-12-2003, 04:07 AM
another way to interpret the colors is to look at aboriginal parallels. in some of their legends, black was body, white was soul, yellow was mind, and red was heart. there was a sort of order of developement; when you're born, you have a body and a soul. as you grow and develope as a person, your mind and heart form--or personality and morality?

anyway, racism is an overly frequented topic and i don't think the tool boys are into popular controversy. well, there is that whole religion thing, but hey...

Nivek
02-24-2003, 05:14 PM
If I remember correctly I once read that it has to do with (at least on a literal level) a theory of child development. A baby should only have toys that consist of black and white colors so they are not overstimulated. Eventually the colors red and yellow are introduced as they develope. If anyone else has read about this feel free to add or correct me. I am going off of something I read a while ago. The beauty of the lyrics is that they can represent whatever you want them to be. What they mean to the artists could be very different. In any case they are positively inspiring to anyone willing to listen. Still, I don't negate the idea that it is used as a parallel to racism as well.

futile
03-03-2003, 12:44 AM
the guy who said "tool is for whiteys only".......ask him to watch the parabola vid. isnt that dude something other than white

i say "something other" becuase i live in florida and after awhile...all the cubans, mexicans, puarto ricans, and blacks all begin to look the same....no offense most white people look the same too, which is there problem.

broken_wanderer
03-18-2003, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nivek
[B]If I remember correctly I once read that it has to do with (at least on a literal level) a theory of child development.

Ya...this is actually right. Babies don't see colors until they are past 4/5 months for most. Until then they are able to see only in black and white and usually not beyond 2/3 feet at the most. They get interested in black/white patterns, mostly spinning patters as well.
So let's say that Maynard took some really heavy drugs (acid/shrooms..whatever) or during intense meditative states, he regressed and remembered his first impressions as a little baby..that's what he is referring too.
As for any political messages ...its possible but highely unlikely.
Maybe he is also indicating that to advance/evolve one has to regress or go back to the very basic levels and restart.
Another thing ..is that to regress to infancy and remember stuff would require lots of willpower, concentration and drive...drugs or no drugs.