PDA

View Full Version : Judgement

5-MeO-AmT
11-12-2004, 03:18 PM
"the one, the ten" - Perhaps it represents judgement, one (Christian God, pretty popular for passing judgement) ten (ten commandments?) Saturn is often thought of as being the planet of fear and dread, fear of your self. It is the planet of "limitations." Maybe the one also represents your self, as it says "choose one, or ten." Ten being the condemning/judging path. One being the path without judgement, the freer path - where we as a species would stop "sinking deeper."

- "Let Go." Final line in The Grudge.

Then I guess I could go on to say that once we are square with ourselves, we can all start seeing eye to eye with others, instead of eye for eye.

Lateral Us
11-13-2004, 03:27 AM
"the one, the ten" - Perhaps it represents judgement, one (Christian God, pretty popular for passing judgement) ten (ten commandments?) Saturn is often thought of as being the planet of fear and dread, fear of your self. It is the planet of "limitations." Maybe the one also represents your self, as it says "choose one, or ten." Ten being the condemning/judging path. One being the path without judgement, the freer path - where we as a species would stop "sinking deeper."

- "Let Go." Final line in The Grudge.

Then I guess I could go on to say that once we are square with ourselves, we can all start seeing eye to eye with others, instead of eye for eye.

Sorry dude, go to google and start reading about alchemy, the practical part, and also the inner alchemy, this song is much deeper than what u just explained. Also search for "Tree of Life" ,"Tree of Sephiroth" and "The Philosophers Stone", enjoy.

5-MeO-AmT
11-13-2004, 03:02 PM
oh is it? i agree with what you've said in your other posts about leaden grudges. but i think it was just clever poetry, that continues the theme of letting judgement go.

Jesus is the "anchor" of the soul - also the Anchor was used in ancient Christian times to hide from persecution.

Waters could mean spiritual cleansing.

This song is very multi-layered - mainly because it is colored with symbols that mean a variety of things. It's hard to say what the hell it is about. So despite your valid ideas, I remain secure in my interpretation that it is about becoming squre with yourself - letting judgement go, which would eventually lead to a better world.

Lateral Us
11-13-2004, 06:27 PM
oh is it? i agree with what you've said in your other posts about leaden grudges. but i think it was just clever poetry, that continues the theme of letting judgement go.

Jesus is the "anchor" of the soul - also the Anchor was used in ancient Christian times to hide from persecution.

Waters could mean spiritual cleansing.

This song is very multi-layered - mainly because it is colored with symbols that mean a variety of things. It's hard to say what the hell it is about. So despite your valid ideas, I remain secure in my interpretation that it is about becoming squre with yourself - letting judgement go, which would eventually lead to a better world.

You keep bringing in refrences from the bible and christianity, tool are not christians, they dont agree with religion, they are more focussed on their personal spirituality. Maynard said this in an interview:

- Do you draw on The Bible for a lot of your imagery?

MJK: I draw on spirituality. I don’t draw on The Bible for much of anything.

- What kind of spirituality?

MJK: Personal spirituality, universal spirituality, other people’s… It’s a quest. A quest for truth and understanding of human nature, and why we’re here - good and evil struggles.

- Why do you think we’re here?

MJK: Don’t know. That’s why I’m writing the songs. I’m trying to figure it out.

Just thought you should see that. Heres Danny Careys site btw:

http://www.dannycarey.org/

5-MeO-AmT
11-14-2004, 12:05 AM
universal and other people's could include symbolism from Christianity. and what's to say this song isn't about a spiritual growth that Maynard developed in his life? About letting go of those poor symbolisms and learning to be himself - which is in fact what he probably is. And the bible at it's core, is a very spiritual text - it tried to figure "it" out.

"IT" - Individual Truth - analyze that. At least consider other possibilities, least I be forced to call you a "Lamer." GTFA noob, gg no re, kthx.

Lateral Us
11-14-2004, 06:10 PM
universal and other people's could include symbolism from Christianity. and what's to say this song isn't about a spiritual growth that Maynard developed in his life? About letting go of those poor symbolisms and learning to be himself - which is in fact what he probably is. And the bible at it's core, is a very spiritual text - it tried to figure "it" out.

"IT" - Individual Truth - analyze that. At least consider other possibilities, least I be forced to call you a "Lamer." GTFA noob, gg no re, kthx.

Whatever u rekon mate. BTW, lateralus is ONE piece of art, TOOL sent the lyrics to Alex Grey, who in turn, created the artwork as to the meaning of the Lyrics, and look what he came up with. All the things in those drawings represent spiritual developement directly linked to areas of spirituality that would fall under "The Occult". You need to do some more reading as to the background of Alex Grey, what he does and why he does it, and also look into the background of tool, go look for some live photos and in a few youll see them playing with a huge Enochian symbol on stage which they created. Im not just saying all this cos its my opinion, im saying it because of the overwhealming evidence that has led me to my opinion, its all there infront of you.

5-MeO-AmT
11-15-2004, 09:57 AM
The first song is full of symbolism that could be taken in a Christian sense, most of what christainity stole - but we wouldn't want to lose you ;) If you ask me, lateralus is about someone's spiritual journey from start to wherever they think they are now. The lyrics are just too broad. I may just be applying it to myself in this sense, but whatever the case may be, I was simply putting out ideas. Thanks for your overwhelming evidence that you must have gagged on hundreds of times and regurgitated for the whole world to awe in your magnificence.

Jayar
11-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Lateral Us, could you post the link to that interview? I would like to see read it.

Lateral Us
11-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Lateral Us, could you post the link to that interview? I would like to see read it.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/mojo/browser.php?c=74&r=12783&a=p

I got the same interview, just on a different site, cant seem to locate the exact site I copied n pasted from, but its the same interview.

Thanks for your overwhelming evidence that you must have gagged on hundreds of times and regurgitated for the whole world to awe in your magnificence.

Ive been learning about personal spirituality, the occult etc etc for about 8 years now, i have not regurgitated it for the whole world to awe in my maginificence, it was for people to awe in the magnificence of the information, nothing to do with me, none of what i said was my ideas or my philosophical thoughts, its what ive learned over the years from books, the net etc. In this area of knowledge I KNOW NOTHING compared to the amount of information out there and compared to a lot of people on this board that are into this stuff aswell. I agree with everything else that youve said about a spiritual journey n whatnot btw.

Jayar
11-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the link.

Lateral Us
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM
No prob.

Masochistic Chia Pet
11-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Lateralus can be taken in so many ways that your both right in some ways and wrong in others...I agree with u both in some areas and dont in others. The songs in the album are definately spiratual but every person has their own way of taking the message. Maynard probably has completely different thoughts than any person on this sight but it doesnt matter. Make the song yours

(-)Phosphorescence(-)
11-18-2004, 06:16 PM
"saturn acends"
saturn mythilogically(sp) is known as the crow, aka cronus.
of course he's speaking of something of bad luck.
i think he's comparing something to a crow? something or someone
who has brought bad fortune; such as a burden like a grudge.

someone please correct me if im wrong, these are the only thoughts i have for this song.

Lateral Us
11-18-2004, 08:20 PM
"saturn ascends"
saturn mythilogically(sp) is known as the crow, aka cronus.
of course he's speaking of something of bad luck.
i think he's comparing something to a crow? something or someone
who has brought bad fortune; such as a burden like a grudge.

someone please correct me if im wrong, these are the only thoughts i have for this song.

The line:

"Give away the stone. Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold."

This is a definate link to Alchemy, which is widely known for trying to "Transmutate Lead into Gold", and find the philosophers stone. Basically taking something from its lowest from to its highest (on the tree of life which the alchemists use aswell, this would be taking it from 1 to 10 on the tree, "Choose One Or Ten"), now if you also read into that in more detail, you also find out that in Alchemy, and a lot of other Ocuult subjects, Lead is the metal that represents Saturn. So, now the reason i said that, was because i know there is a meaning behind the line of "Saturn Ascends", and i have a feeling it will also be found in the subject of Alchemy, as it has sooo many links to these lyrics.

x7 Lateralus 7x
11-21-2004, 12:24 PM
alchemy... thats not good, i have no knowlege on that subject, i guess this song is out of my range.

Lateral Us
11-21-2004, 05:01 PM
alchemy... thats not good, i have no knowlege on that subject, i guess this song is out of my range.

I wouldnt call myself knowledgable on the subject either(compared to the amount of knowledge on Alchemy, and what some peoples undestanding of it is), but if you just look into it slightly, like read a few pages on the subject in general, introductions to it etc, youll find out quite a bit of stuff, its pretty interesting aswell.

Cyanide ChrYst
11-23-2004, 12:38 AM
It's not out of your range; it's a fucking song. A lot of these dipshits take tool too seriously and act like there are cult-meanings underneath the actual lyrics.