PDA

View Full Version : (un)Official TDN Forum Rules!

Metatron's Cube
01-27-2003, 06:36 PM
1. You cannot ever quote Maynard saying "Over-analyzing separates the body from the mind" as justification for why you can not discuss his music.

Dosent this negate the whole reason to have a forum? If posts could only consist of "I like it cuz it sounds cool!", I think it would get boring rather fast.

2. You must follow this rule at all times, unless you dont want to. These rules can be changed at any time or added to by anyone.

euthanasia
01-27-2003, 06:50 PM
There is no point in protesting against the Forum. It is not mine, it is not yours. It is from who owns it.
Instead of wasting your time writing this feeble protest, how about writing a letter, taking a moment to think, listen lateralus or even staring out the window.

Professor Frink
01-27-2003, 08:03 PM
I think it was a joke. Didn't you read rule#2? :P

Metatron's Cube
01-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Professor Frink
I think it was a joke. Didn't you read rule#2? :P

Nope I dont think he read it either, this is a joke. However, I DO believe you shouldn't quote maynard in this way, but I also dont believe in telling people what to do. Just basicially saying Im sick of it, but alas, such are public opinion forums...

wuphat
02-01-2003, 11:57 PM
I agree that this is a poor quote to use to justify not looking into the lyrics for deeper meanings. In fact, (I've posted this elsewhere here, but I think it's worth mentioning again) I think that the "over-thinking..." quote is taken incorrectly by most people. So, for me to explain this I'll have to look for deeper meanings in their songs...nice Catch-22, huh?

Go back to Forty-six & 2. The generally accepted view of this song is that it is about the evolution of the human race. That originally we were people who saw the only things that affected our world was those things around us that we were aware of on a tangible level. Then we went on to an understanding that there were other things outside of our immediate sight that affects our lives and that things we do can affect others not around us. Finally, the 46 & 2 stage where we could achieve a one-world consciousness where we all would have one common understanding. This would be a separation of "the body from the mind." If we are to believe that achieving this separation is desirable, then it must follow that if "over-thinking" and "over-analysing" leads to this separation of "body and mind" then we should be striving for this as well. In other words, the more we over-think and over-anaylse the closer we can get to 46 & 2.

ignore-reality
02-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Metatron's Cube
1. You cannot ever quote Maynard saying "Over-analyzing separates the body from the mind" as justification for why you can not discuss his music.

Dosent this negate the whole reason to have a forum? If posts could only consist of "I like it cuz it sounds cool!", I think it would get boring rather fast.

2. You must follow this rule at all times, unless you dont want to. These rules can be changed at any time or added to by anyone.

RULE #3) Either talk about Tool or at least please relate something in what you are saying to them, their beliefs, the music......whatever. If you want to talk about something else (why Canada is better, etc.) go find another damn post or chatroom.

Is that so hard? Maybe it is.....I don't know

wuphat
02-02-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by ignore-reality
RULE #3) Either talk about Tool or at least please relate something in what you are saying to them, their beliefs, the music......whatever. If you want to talk about something else (why Canada is better, etc.) go find another damn post or chatroom.

Is that so hard? Maybe it is.....I don't know

You again? Dude, let it go already...

ignore-reality
02-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by wuphat
You again? Dude, let it go already...

Oh, so sorry, guess I didn't think you'd read this post...oh shit, you got me. Under your philosophy I can talk about whatever the hell I want to talk about on here don't be a hypocrite.....dude.

ignore-reality
02-02-2003, 12:50 PM
I guess I can't win though can I. Fine, I'll jump outside the boundaries. I have a question for you Wuphat. You say your in the Air Force, if we take action against Iraq does this effect you firsthand? Will you go to Iraq?

xifeelphreex
02-02-2003, 03:31 PM
You could argue whether or not separating the body from the mind is a good or bad thing, but in the song it still withers the intuition and causes missed opportunities. I guess you could say the point of this part anyway is contemplating and analyzing everything, but not to the point where you lose touch of the reality of the issue. It's true that there are probably issues in Tool songs that most people wouldn't comprehend (myself included) about magik and sacred geometry, ect. But the fact of the matter is most things are what they are. No secret societies or cannibalism, just life. One thing I've learned from my experiences with hallucinagens is that the primitive thought processes are usually the most advanced, at least in spiritual matters. Basically over thinking and over analyzing causes you to miss the things that are right in front of your face. Which in the case of Lateralus is the beauty of life itself. I don't know how much sense that makes to you guys, but fuck it. Take it as you will

wuphat
02-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by ignore-reality
I guess I can't win though can I. Fine, I'll jump outside the boundaries. I have a question for you Wuphat. You say your in the Air Force, if we take action against Iraq does this effect you firsthand? Will you go to Iraq?

First off, I'm not trying to shut down your opinion or anything, I'm just saying that if you don't think certain topics should be discussed on this site then don't, but don't shit on other people for doing it.

Secondly, as far as a possible deplyoment to the Mideast...that has not been determined yet. It's certainly possible, but I really wouldn't know until further down the road. Why do you ask?

wuphat
02-02-2003, 08:41 PM
xifeelphreex--

I agree that things can certain be looked into too far, but I was just reacting more towards the argument that people were saying we shouldn't look into any of the lyrics because of the "over thinking..." line...which when you think about it is kinda funny because they had to interpret that line to determine that they shouldn't be interpreting any lyrics at all.

xifeelphreex
02-03-2003, 05:33 AM
wuphat...

I completely understand what you were saying about people taking it to mean not to pick apart the lyrics. Some peole might think so, but personally I think it goes against every reason I listen to Tool. I like how you compared the over thinking and analyzing to reaching 46&2 as well. I just wanted to add that you've got to have the balance between deep thinking and overthinking, where you could take a lesson that's in front of your face and overlook the point by making it something it's not.

Smokin joe
02-03-2003, 08:47 AM
That quote is freakin awesome tho. It's hard not to use it because it's so true. And who says we're OVER-analyzing?

a side note: make the post follow and new topic buttons a little farthur apart, i always click on the wrong one

joe