PDA

View Full Version : Complete lyrics

The Huntsman
01-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Good evening, all.

There are a few vocalizations in this song that are very difficult for my untutored ear to decipher.

"Say you won't go!" leads into further words or sounds:
something like "...won't go, [no matter how you feel, give in, give in, stay]" - although, I really don't believe that these are the words spoken. In fact, I'm sure they are not.

The other words sound like, "got you in a stranglehold, baby, get out, get out, whaahhh...what you're trying to say, is you don't want to play..." this is just before the final chorus.
Or, the words might be something like "got you to stay at home, baby"
Thanks, and I look forward to the answers.

The Huntsman

Penguin
02-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Hmm.. I like the "got you in a stranglehold" part.. don't recall a "say you won't go"..

accel2
02-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Penguin
Hmm.. I like the "got you in a stranglehold" part.. don't recall a "say you won't go"..

Huh? It's at the climax of the song! :) I love that part of the song - so emotional. Even if I still really have no idea what thi song's about.

As for the original post, I've always thought he was just saying:
"Saaaaay youuuu woooon't goooo.. you won't go... say it.. say it.. say it.. say it."

And:

"Get you stronger than me? Get it till you get it right". I believe the lyrics I used to see posted around the net said something to that effect. But in at least some of the live versions I've heard, it does sound like Maynard is saying "Get you in a stranglehold, baby, get it till you get it right" or something like that. Which I've always taken as an allusion to the Ted Nugent song.

-Mike

Undertolerance
03-05-2003, 09:24 AM
I have listened to the album Undertow more times than I would like to count at any given time. And this song is among one my very favorites, and I have never heard the 'supposed lyrics' that you have posted here. I do, however admit that the only way in which I have heard different lyrics in during live performances. I will certainly listen quite profusivley to the song to see if I can pick anything out. And I will certainly get back to you if i find anything new. Look forward to my posts in the future.
"Say you wont go"

Wydar
10-15-2004, 11:53 AM
The other words sound like, "got you in a stranglehold, baby, get out, get out, whaahhh...what you're trying to say, is you don't want to play..." this is just before the final chorus.

The Huntsman

I heard the exact same thing for the first time last night The Huntsman. It's wierd because I've had Undetow for a long time and I'd never heard that before. So I came here to see if anyone else had experienced that and sure enough someone had.

Also for those of you who don't know TOOL did a cover of Nugent's "Stranglehold"
with Buzz from The Melvins. Might wanna check that out too.

Undertolerance
10-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Upon further listening to this song, I still cannot hear any part mentioning anything about "got you a stranglehold", though it does appear within some life versions. I have always distinctly heard him mumbling 'away' after the line "say you wont go" Or perhaps even saying "Say you wont go...away...from me...again" I find it hard to tell exactly what he is mumbling towards the end of the line. This is only what I have heard.

Chris_Brightwell
10-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Crawled away from me, slipped away from me
Tried to keep a hold, but there was nothing I could say

[...]

Say you won't go
It hurts

So you say you're leaving me
So you say you're leaving
Say you won't go
Say you won't go
Please say you won't go