PDA

View Full Version : Maynard Hates Mars Volta

Cyanide ChrYst
10-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Anybody heard this? I was swimming around in the mars volta forum over at www.thecomatorium.com and I found a place where some kids said maynard won't even ride on the same bus as TMV during the tour.

Anybody heard about this?

MrMcPheezy
10-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Maynard didn't even ride the same bus as apc on the apc tour.

He has his own, more expensive, more exquisite tour bus. It's black and purple, and bigger than the bus that the rest of the bandmates share.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Where did you get this information? Somebody throw me a fucking bone.

Triangular_Vision
10-25-2004, 06:02 PM
ya no shit! you would think that would be some pretty common knowledge if its true...

MrMcPheezy
10-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Where did you get this information? Somebody throw me a fucking bone.

I saw apc in Sacramento, and caught one of the setlists that a stagehand had thrown off stage. After the show, I went back to where the buses were in hopes of autographs. I ended up getting josh freese's autograph. Anyways, while I was waiting, I was talking to this guy who was...an dedicated autograph getter, I suppose. He had a bunch of stuff with him that had been signed by famous musicians, and stories of many other things. I know it's perfectly possible he made everything up...but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He said he had trailed apc around and hung out after shows hoping to get a chance at an autograph. He knew the names of some of the security personnel, and some of the managers and whatnot...anyways, he seemed realible.

And yeah. He's the one that explained which of the buses were for who. I actually saw all maynard get on one bus, and all the other band members get on another.

So yeah. That's where my information comes from.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-25-2004, 07:44 PM
That still doesnt explain why maynard hates mars volta.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-25-2004, 09:12 PM
They're fucking amazing, and I'm not gonna argue with you about that. Even if you dislike them you have to respect their raw talent.

MrMcPheezy
10-25-2004, 09:12 PM

No, but it explains why he rides another bus, which seemed to be the reason for thinking that he hated them.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-25-2004, 09:13 PM
I read on comatorium that omar dislikes him.

MrMcPheezy
10-25-2004, 10:21 PM
They're fucking amazing, and I'm not gonna argue with you about that. Even if you dislike them you have to respect their raw talent.

Please explain why you think they have any talent whatsoever. I don't see it.

The Drapery Falls
10-25-2004, 11:52 PM
I hate the mars volta, so my psychic bond with maynard also makes him hate the mars volta.

it's simple science man.

Windir
10-26-2004, 06:52 AM
"Maynard Hates Mars Volta"

I love Maynard.

Windir
10-26-2004, 06:54 AM
Oh - and Happy B-day to you Cyanide ChrYst
Als to holy reality (19)

.: celebrates :.

TheHolyGift
10-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Nobody likes Mars Volta. Nobody. Anybody who says they do is lying. Everyone knows that. Duh.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-27-2004, 08:34 AM
I saw the mars volta live and I liked them more than the APC show. They're brilliant orchestrators of chaos. We're talking about a 40 minute song with the fastest drumming i've ever seen, with soloing comparable to ennio marricone or the gypsie kings, and the whole band is fucking wildly dancing around like animals.
If you dont like them, I'm sorry. I'll be sure to try and give a shit.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Thank you, nederlander. My birthday was awesome.

MrMcPheezy
10-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I saw the mars volta live and I liked them more than the APC show. They're brilliant orchestrators of chaos. We're talking about a 40 minute song with the fastest drumming i've ever seen, with soloing comparable to ennio marricone or the gypsie kings, and the whole band is fucking wildly dancing around like animals.
If you dont like them, I'm sorry. I'll be sure to try and give a shit.

I'm not at all saying that you should give a shit about my opinion of tmv. You like them, and that's fine. but if you're going to say that I have to appreciate their raw talent, you better be able to explain why.

As a drummer, I'll tell you, their drumming was not very good.

I don't know much about guitar, so I won't comment on it. Maybe they are really good guitarists. I don't know.

but from a compositional standpoint, I was not very impressed. Maybe I'd need to hear the whole album, numerous times, but from what I saw, there was very poor development of themes. Though the song structures were obviously creative, they were not very well put together.

If I heard more, I'd be able to give more specifics as to why I don't respect their supposed talent.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-27-2004, 02:18 PM
To each his own, my friend. But take my word for it; generally I hate everything. And I like this band.

MrMcPheezy
10-27-2004, 05:56 PM
What happened to the required respect of which you once spoke?

you have to respect their raw talent.

Statements like this speak objectively on music. I'd like to hear objective points as to why I have to respect them. If you have any.

MrMcPheezy
10-27-2004, 06:05 PM
they could be really good.

Yeah, they could be, but they're not.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Okay, well mcpheezy, since you obviously aren't a talented enough drummer to be out making money (bias, you're clever) then I dont think you have the right to say whether a drummer or band has no talent.

If a group of people can play music and make hundreds of thousands of people like them, I think that proves they are talented. You dont have to like anything; but you need to respect and admit the fact that the mars volta has the knowledge to create music that attracts masses.

For example; I dislike the backstreet boys, but I dont deny ONE BIT that they're great singers and dancers. Their earned millions in cash proves it.

You're not required to respect anything but it sure makes you look like less of an angry baboon.

Raev'n
10-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Okay, well mcpheezy, since you obviously aren't a talented enough drummer to be out making money (bias, you're clever) then I dont think you have the right to say whether a drummer or band has no talent.
Although som drummers are just good enough to keep a beat behind the band so they make lots of money, much lik the dude from nickelback.

If a group of people can play music and make hundreds of thousands of people like them, I think that proves they are talented. You dont have to like anything; but you need to respect and admit the fact that the mars volta has the knowledge to create music that attracts masses. Ha Haa! Touche

For example; I dislike the backstreet boys, but I dont deny ONE BIT that they're great singers and dancers. Their earned millions in cash proves it. And the fact that to most of the little 11-15 year old girls they were Oh So Sexy and just bought the album so they can look at the boys' picures

You're not required to respect anything but it sure makes you look like less of an angry baboon. pwn3d

SmallWangedMan
10-28-2004, 08:55 AM
I don't know what is about the Mars Volta that makes people who don't like them hate the fact that other people do.

TheHolyGift
10-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Cyanide ChrYst, despite the fact that 90% of the time you're exaggerating or being sarcastic, I think you're pretty smart. But saying the Backstreet Boys are good singers and dancers because they made millions of dollars is confusing. Come on. You know better than that.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm not going to bash them. They're a bunch of total fags, you'd think, but dude. Sex sells, they're all millionaires, and IMAGINE how many seventeen year old girls they can screw on a daily basis. I'd do some gay synchronized dancing for all of that in a heartbeat.

Yes, I know. I'm fucking brilliant.

Raev'n: If you can figure out why the Nickelback is actually popular, I will never bitch on this forum ever again. I think it'd take more manpower than NASA to figure out where these total fuckbags get so much attention.

MrMcPheezy
10-28-2004, 05:27 PM

wf? This is a terrible fucking point.

The fact that I don't drum in a band that has the recognition of the masses does not mean that I am incapable of commenting of the quaality of drumming when I hear it. I've been involved in a number of different percussive settings. It's not recognition, but experience that makes one knowledgeable.

If a group of people can play music and make hundreds of thousands of people like them, I think that proves they are talented.

No. All this proves is that they are good at marketing their product. Good at appeasing the ears of a certain group of people. This says nothing of the true quality of the music.

You dont have to like anything; but you need to respect and admit the fact that the mars volta has the knowledge to create music that attracts masses.

I will admit that they have been successful, but will not give what I feel to be undue respect for what they have done to achieve that success.

For example; I dislike the backstreet boys, but I dont deny ONE BIT that they're great singers and dancers. Their earned millions in cash proves it.

Their success proves nothing more than the fact that they have appealed to an audience.

Popularity does not equal quality.

MrMcPheezy
10-28-2004, 05:29 PM
I don't know what is about the Mars Volta that makes people who don't like them hate the fact that other people do.

I don't hate it, I just don't think there's an objective basis for it, which cyanide christ seems to feel there is.

Lackymacky
10-28-2004, 06:45 PM
ayyyyyyyyy

first off i COMPLETELY agree with mrmcpheexy
popularity does, MOST DEFINITLY, not mean how good you are NOT THE SLIGHTEST BIT...i cant beleive that was even said

another thing...cyanide why in the world would you say respect something and still dont like it when you dont like what other people say here yet you show now respect at all towards them or their beleifs...thats a little hypocritical

SmallWangedMan
10-28-2004, 07:12 PM
I don't hate it, I just don't think there's an objective basis for it, which cyanide christ seems to feel there is.

Oh yeah I agree. I love TMV but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't be into it. Just personal tastes.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 07:33 PM
It is personal tastes, but my entire argument is that you should not call a band completely untalented just because you dislike them. You dont like the drummer's style, mcpheezy? Not one person on the entire planet cares; sorry. Popularity, success and capital gains mean nothing? Hm, smells like bullshit in here. I'd go in and quote all of your rebuttles but I just don't see the point. It's like me telling you to be atheist, and you telling me to be muslim.

Lacky Macky - finally you've formulated an opinion of your own. Your balls must have dropped in the time you were gone. I do not respect or disrespect anyone on this forum because I dont know anyone here personally. I think some people are total, complete and utter dumbasses - but that's just their online personality.

For example, I'm a really friendly, outgoing person who always pretends to give a shit about peoples problems. I dont really (most of the time), but I'm just polite like that. Online, however, none of you will ever benefit me in the way of a friend (since we dont live near each other) so I can just tell you I think you're a moron without having to go through you being hurt or any nonsense reactions people have when they hear the truth about themselves.

So before you think I'm a huge jackass, just remember that ^ you don't really know my personality...just my opinion.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Oh yeah I agree. I love TMV but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't be into it. Just personal tastes.

I can see how people wouldnt be into it because of Cedric's high ass voice. When they opened for APC I was practically booing them off the stage, but only because I wasn't used to their style.

On the way down to buy pizza in the food court, I had a near-orgasm and ran and bought the album. It was the exact moment on #3, Roulette Dares, where cedric does that weird shrill ass scream halfway through the song, that stuck in my head all night until I bought the cd.

MrMcPheezy
10-28-2004, 10:01 PM
It is personal tastes, but my entire argument is that you should not call a band completely untalented just because you dislike them.

You're a stupid fuck. I'm calling them untalented because they're untalented, not because I dislike them.

I listen to msi in spite of the fact that none of them are very talented at all, except maybe jimmy. I also dislike blind guardian (they're a power metal band, I have a few friends that like them) even though they're all amazingly talented musicians.

I don't understand the confusion. They are not talented, whether or not I like them is irrelevant. I'm aware of that, but it seems to piss you off to the point where you can't logically discuss why you do like them.

You said that I "have to respect their raw talent" or something along those lines. I'd like to know what talent it is your talking about. You mentioned some good guitar solos or something. Is that it?

You dont like the drummer's style, mcpheezy? Not one person on the entire planet cares; sorry.

Never once have I commented on my personal preference regarding the style of the drummer, you idiot. I said that from a percussive and compositional standpoint, it was nothing special. It was nothing deserving of any respoect.

Popularity, success and capital gains mean nothing? Hm, smells like bullshit in here.

They mean nothing when discussing the objective quality of music. Maybe this is difficult for you to grasp since you don't know enough about music to discuss it objectively.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 10:35 PM
The QUALITY OF MUSIC IS LEFT TO PERCEPTION, dipshit. I cannot believe such a dumbass has survived this long in the world.

Now you claim they're not talented, and I claim they're talented. I also claim god does not exist. That doesn't make me right and that most certainly doesn't make you right. You dislike them because you *think* they're not talented. Well I've tabbed their stuff on guitar, which is extremely impressive (forget all of that soloist bullshit; a ten minute solo impresses me about as much as you).

Their drums are amazing. They've even got a fucking tabla drummer out there sometimes, something I'm sure you know dick about, and I've never heard them skip a beat once in the three to four hours I've seen them perform. You think theyre not talented? Well I think you're a douchebag. If you're right then I'm right.

Dont bring up this stupid bullshit again; you gave me what information you had and I thank you, but jesus you're the Bently of Moron.

I'll even give you some slack and admit that compared to danny carey and numerous other drummers, percussively and compositionally the drums themselves are NOT the best I've ever heard. I hope that gives you the chubby you're looking for, sweet cakes.

40+ uses on this board and most of them are dipshits.

MrMcPheezy
10-28-2004, 10:45 PM
The QUALITY OF MUSIC IS LEFT TO PERCEPTION, dipshit.

I disagree. This is probably the basis of our arguement here. I love discussing the objectivity of music. Fuck, I couldn't count the number of times mope and I have disagreed about this. I know very few people that feel the same way I do. I think music can be compared and discussed on an objective level. and on that level, the quality of tmv's music is very poor, regardless of whether or not you like it.

I think there's a vital difference between saying "I like this music" and saying "this is good music". The first statement is subjective, while the latter is objective.

You probably disagree with me, and that's ok. I can accept that. I guess we just shouldn't discuss things of this nature anymore, since we both seem to get frustrated doing so.

MrMcPheezy
10-28-2004, 10:46 PM
and stop hiding your online status, dammit. It's annoying.

SmallWangedMan
10-29-2004, 07:45 AM
I disagree. This is probably the basis of our arguement here. I love discussing the objectivity of music. Fuck, I couldn't count the number of times mope and I have disagreed about this. I know very few people that feel the same way I do. I think music can be compared and discussed on an objective level. and on that level, the quality of tmv's music is very poor, regardless of whether or not you like it.

I think there's a vital difference between saying "I like this music" and saying "this is good music". The first statement is subjective, while the latter is objective.

You probably disagree with me, and that's ok. I can accept that. I guess we just shouldn't discuss things of this nature anymore, since we both seem to get frustrated doing so.

So what makes them untalented objectively? They have strong compositions. The lyrics are decent. They have a good grasp on theory. They're all technically talented. I completely disagree with you that music quality can be decided objectively, but if it could, on what basis could you accuse TMV of being untalented?

EDIT: "This is good music" isn't an objective statement because "good" is an intangible adjective. Good means different things to different people.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-29-2004, 09:35 AM
There is no point to further any fussing in this thread. This isnt even a mars volta forum, and the topic has completely lost track of where it was aimed.

I dont understand 'hiding your online status', pheezy. AIM = My CyanideChrYst

Smith1228
10-29-2004, 12:19 PM

If a group of people can play music and make hundreds of thousands of people like them, I think that proves they are talented. You dont have to like anything; but you need to respect and admit the fact that the mars volta has the knowledge to create music that attracts masses.

You're not required to respect anything but it sure makes you look like less of an angry baboon.

I'm a huge TMV fan, but this quite a stupid post.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-29-2004, 04:47 PM
I dont have enough middle fingers to express my love for Random Idiots.

MrMcPheezy
10-30-2004, 07:45 PM
So what makes them untalented objectively? They have strong compositions. The lyrics are decent. They have a good grasp on theory. They're all technically talented. I completely disagree with you that music quality can be decided objectively, but if it could, on what basis could you accuse TMV of being untalented?

As I said, I have not listened to them in quite some time, so I cannot comment on specifics. Sorry. I just remember my response to them after dl'ing a few of their songs and after seeing them live.

EDIT: "This is good music" isn't an objective statement

I disagree.

MrMcPheezy
10-30-2004, 07:48 PM
I dont understand 'hiding your online status', pheezy. AIM = My CyanideChrYst

Hiding your online status means that when you're here on tdn, posting, it says that you are "offline", even though you're not. You're a "hidden" member. With most people, it says they're online under their handle when they are. But this is not true for you. It's a setting you can control on your ucp.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-30-2004, 09:34 PM
I do that so I can post at my will without being PM'd and such.

Raev'n
10-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Raev'n: If you can figure out why the Nickelback is actually popular, I will never bitch on this forum ever again. I think it'd take more manpower than NASA to figure out where these total fuckbags get so much attention.

Well then dude, here goes: (One point I'd like to make, I don't like Nickelback but I love a challenge lol)

A: When their first song came out it was so overplayed on the air that when you turned off your radio it played the song another two times before it actually cut out. Thus planting in the minds of those easily manipulated beings out there that Nickelback is "cool/rad/whoa man these guys fucking rock"(in a manner of speaking).

B: That singer guy did that song for Spiderman. Which massively shot up his ratings so another 3000 mindless humans bought the album(s?). I know this sucks anus but hey, it's the end of the world as we know it.

C:What are you still reading this for, in fact why did you read this in the first place?! I'm talking about Nickelback! What type of retard talks about Nickelback?!

Bring on NASA

TheHolyGift
10-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Raev'n, how much time did it take you to gather more manpower than NASA?

Cyanide ChrYst
10-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Im hungover. I have never been this hungover. My head has ached since 9:00am until now, 4:00pm.

Raev'n
10-31-2004, 06:04 PM
Raev'n, how much time did it take you to gather more manpower than NASA?

5min42sec

stattica
11-01-2004, 05:55 PM
what the hell is this thread doing here.

Cyanide ChrYst
11-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Congratulations: You're five days too late.

MrMcPheezy
11-01-2004, 06:32 PM
what the hell is this thread doing here.

I've been wondering the same thing, except with a question mark.

Raev'n
11-05-2004, 11:58 AM
WOOAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAHAHAAAAAA. Its too early in the morning...

Cyanide ChrYst
11-05-2004, 03:14 PM
I post at a volta board as well and they fucking hate tool...just like numerous tool fans hate mars volta. It's odd.

Triangular_Vision
11-09-2004, 05:10 PM
odd that people follow their interests? or odd that people with different interests usually do not agree on shit or even like eachother simply because of the humanistic ego?

Cyanide ChrYst
11-09-2004, 06:01 PM
It's not odd to me...not anymore.

Christoff
11-10-2004, 03:45 AM
I doubt Maynard would "hate" The Mars Volta...

I just had a listen to them and it is not my cup of tea, simply because the music is cold and gritty, like a freezer filled with severed diet coke cans.

The music is not organic, and I can understand why fans of The Mars Volta like them, but to me their music is noise and distraction and says more about the mentality of the people that wrote it than anything else.

Cyanide ChrYst
11-10-2004, 10:01 AM
You're judging music you dont know shit about. Sort of like when a kid who listens to hardcore says tool sucks because Adam can't play super-fast fingertapping in C# while dancing around in pants tighter than a schoolgirl's ass.

Tell me, what is the 'mentality' of the people who wrote it? Noisy an distracting? Have you spoken with them personally? As far as anybody knows, the only thing they've said about it is that it is a concept album about their friend Cerpin Taxt's death.

A freezer full of /what/ the fuck are you talking about?

MrMcPheezy
11-10-2004, 02:40 PM
A freezer full of /what/ the fuck are you talking about?

ha. yeah, that part confused me too.

March The Scaffold
12-23-2004, 10:42 PM
As a drummer, I'll tell you, their drumming was not very good.

That would be funny if it wasn't so ego-laden. As a drummer, I'll tell you, TMV's drummer is EASILY among the best you're going to find on the/any scene right now. He does it all buddy. Grooves, odd-times, linear combos, latin ostinato techniques, and the list goes on. How you could muster up the gusto to say he "was not very good" is fucking beyond me. Name one other drummer who accomplishes as much as Jon Theodore does and incorperates it into their band's music as tastefully. As a precursor, Danny Carey does not groove.

Double R
12-25-2004, 02:25 AM
I know afew girls who like to hang backstage to put it kindly he has his own bus with tool also and supposidly has giant sex toys didnt pay much attention to their story forgot about it till I read this thread.

champion
01-04-2005, 11:10 AM

with a statement like that, i'm inclined to never take anything you say seriously ever again.

Cyanide ChrYst
01-08-2005, 10:22 AM
with a statement like that, i'm inclined to never take anything you say seriously ever again.

You're about four months too late on this one, big baller. Bahahaha.

lysegicevolution
02-03-2005, 10:22 AM
That would be funny if it wasn't so ego-laden. As a drummer, I'll tell you, TMV's drummer is EASILY among the best you're going to find on the/any scene right now. He does it all buddy. Grooves, odd-times, linear combos, latin ostinato techniques, and the list goes on. How you could muster up the gusto to say he "was not very good" is fucking beyond me. Name one other drummer who accomplishes as much as Jon Theodore does and incorperates it into their band's music as tastefully. As a precursor, Danny Carey does not groove.

here here!!!!!! jon theodore is a god among modern drummers!!!!!!!
i read a great little interview in rolling stone with everyone's favorite ego-maniac lars ulrich......in it he actually admitted to being hesitant to go on after jon theodore(i guess they played some festival together or something).......i though thart was great

lysegicevolution
02-03-2005, 10:23 AM
here here!!!!!! jon theodore is a god among modern drummers!!!!!!!
i read a great little interview in rolling stone with everyone's favorite ego-maniac lars ulrich......in it he actually admitted to being hesitant to go on after jon theodore(i guess they played some festival together or something).......i though thart was great

*thought

MrMcPheezy
02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
*thought

You know...there is an edit button..

lysegicevolution
02-03-2005, 07:26 PM
You know...there is an edit button..

no............i didn't realize that..............but thank you................

Cyanide ChrYst
02-04-2005, 10:55 PM
So anyway.

I post at mars volta and at toolshed. The MV fans hate you guys, and the tool fans hate them. Why cant we all just send me money?

lysegicevolution
02-05-2005, 12:30 PM
So anyway.

I post at mars volta and at toolshed. The MV fans hate you guys, and the tool fans hate them. Why cant we all just send me money?

that's really a shame, because not only are they two of the best bands around, but they both have a heavy psychedelic influence

Raev'n
02-05-2005, 11:17 PM
It's great ay?

Naga Royal Guard
02-06-2005, 12:44 PM
heard a Mars Volta song on the radio the other day, like any music - still trying to get used to it i guess

Cyanide ChrYst
02-06-2005, 05:44 PM
You probably heard The Widow. Oh man, that song is fucking rockin.

Raev'n
02-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Because people are still talking about MV and other shit. Just like most threads that are still open these days.

Cyanide ChrYst
02-07-2005, 09:10 PM
...if you dont like it, dont fucking post here. Mars Volta 0wns you.

Naga Royal Guard
02-07-2005, 10:38 PM
anyone up for talkin about cars?

SmallWangedMan
02-08-2005, 11:25 AM
I like the cars that have 4 wheels and go fast.

MrMcPheezy
02-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Buick fucking Century.

Cars get no better.

SmallWangedMan
02-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I had a friend who used to drive a VW Rabbit. Amazing car if you're familiar with it. When he got it, I think it was an '85, it had 160,000 miles reading but the meter was broken. He drove it for 6 years before it finally bit it. God knows how many miles it actually took. German engineering = pwns you.

MrMcPheezy
02-08-2005, 11:33 AM
My Buick Century has a lot of room in the backseat.

Sex in the car = pwns you.

SmallWangedMan
02-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Ha. My Ford Taurus has a lot of room in the backseat, and even more in the trunk so I can store the body after I'm done, but you don't see me not hating my Ford Taurus.

CyberSlave
02-08-2005, 12:13 PM
why the fuck haven't I found this thread until today? I am 5 months too late.

Anyway, I love the Mars Volta and I love Tool, and I'm a member of both forums. Gimme a cookie.

SmallWangedMan
02-08-2005, 12:27 PM
*gives CyberSlave cookie*

CyberSlave
02-08-2005, 12:35 PM
yummy.

Mars Volta wins when it comes to touring though. I've seen TMV twice, and never seen Tool. I've seen Maynard twice with APC and Danny with PLC though, so thats like... half of Tool I've seen.

SmallWangedMan
02-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Ha! You may think that, but little do you know...

I HAVE POISONED YOUR COOKIE! WITH POISON!

MrMcPheezy
02-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Mars Volta wins when it comes to touring though. I've seen TMV twice, and never seen Tool. I've seen Maynard twice with APC and Danny with PLC though, so thats like... half of Tool I've seen.

You need to see tool. Need.

MrMcPheezy
02-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I HAVE POISONED YOUR COOKIE! WITH POISON!

lol

CyberSlave
02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
You need to see tool. Need.

word. Next time they tour I will try my darndest to see them here and then in NYC.

MrMcPheezy
02-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Right on. I'm hoping to see them in sf and in sac during their next tour. Same for nin.

Cyanide ChrYst
02-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Dude, if I had the money, I would honestly buy a Civic hybrid right now. Gas money is like one third of my mother f*cking paycheck.

MrMcPheezy
02-08-2005, 09:16 PM
f*cking

What the fuck?

Who are you, lilli?

paraflux
02-09-2005, 09:15 AM
No, he is probably Rebecca22. They both have similar modus operandi, and are both pretty pointless.

Naga Royal Guard
02-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Buick fucking Century.

Cars get no better.

well, im no buick fan myself; but you gotta applaud GM for the new Lucerne

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_chicago/lucerne/images/X06BU_LU002.jpg

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_chicago/lucerne/images/X06BU_LU006.jpg

Cyanide ChrYst
02-10-2005, 08:28 AM
I actually wanted to express my dismay but I didnt figure swearing was necessary. I settled somewhere in between.

I only cuss in my quazi-e-rages.

SmallWangedMan
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Cyanide Chryst is far, far too emo drop an f-bomb unless he really means it.

Cyanide ChrYst
02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Werd, if I were a store, I'd be emofags-r-us. You could buy your eyeliner and douchebag beliefs all in one aisle.

Naga Royal Guard
02-10-2005, 06:22 PM
emo, thats interesting

SmallWangedMan
02-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Werd, if I were a store, I'd be emofags-r-us. You could buy your eyeliner and douchebag beliefs all in one aisle.

Haha.

mantra mouse
02-11-2005, 02:09 PM
i dig the mars volta!

haha that singer is wonderful even if he sounds a little like a girl...

Cyanide ChrYst
02-12-2005, 01:34 AM
I think hes great. I love teh mars voltl0r.

Sahaya the Dude
02-14-2005, 04:56 PM
because they suck, duh...

The Mars Volta are an amazing band and I hardly think Maynard "hates" anyone.. maybe in his earlier years he did, but if his music is anything to do with the accordance of his life then I'd assume he loves everyone and everything on the planet.

If for some reason Maynard did in fact hate The Mars Volta I'm sure he woulda pulled some strings to get them removed from the APC tour.. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for him to do.

Cyanide ChrYst
02-14-2005, 09:25 PM
The Mars Volta are an amazing band and I hardly think Maynard "hates" anyone.. maybe in his earlier years he did, but if his music is anything to do with the accordance of his life then I'd assume he loves everyone and everything on the planet.

If for some reason Maynard did in fact hate The Mars Volta I'm sure he woulda pulled some strings to get them removed from the APC tour.. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for him to do.

You're right. Because being the singer of a band makes you dictator of the hundreds of people involved in a tour.

MentalSanityOff
06-26-2005, 10:06 PM
McPheezy... this drumming is awesome. Very tasteful dynamics, creativity, and a hell of a lot of power in it

bluefire
06-27-2005, 05:57 PM
but if his music is anything to do with the accordance of his life then I'd assume he loves everyone and everything on the planet.

You'd think so, wouldnt you? But it turns out maynard is one of the largest assholes in terms of his public persona that I can think of.

Toolgarden
07-04-2005, 04:52 PM
I heard TMV live, and then tried to kill myself. It sounded like peter frampton meets one big pile of flaming shit. They ruined the entire experience, I went to see APC, not some flaming ******s.

dracomordag
07-29-2005, 06:51 AM
MrMcPheezy is right.... compositionally TMV sucks. They may get by in the "prog" world on flashiness and over-playing, but that doesn't mean they know jack about real music. Simply getting airplay and fans doesn't make you talented... it makes you popular. Huge difference. Beethoven could eat TMV alive when it comes to music, but you don't see Beethoven with swarms of fans and huge airplay, do you? Yea, I know he's dead... but so is Kurt Cobain and I guarantee that more young music listeners love him.

Not to mention payola... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163537,00.html

to sum up the article... record company execs pay radio stations to play their artists a lot.

mike tyson
07-29-2005, 08:29 AM
MrMcPheezy is right.... compositionally TMV sucks. They may get by in the "prog" world on flashiness and over-playing, but that doesn't mean they know jack about real music. Simply getting airplay and fans doesn't make you talented... it makes you popular. Huge difference. Beethoven could eat TMV alive when it comes to music, but you don't see Beethoven with swarms of fans and huge airplay, do you? Yea, I know he's dead... but so is Kurt Cobain and I guarantee that more young music listeners love him.

Not to mention payola... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163537,00.html

to sum up the article... record company execs pay radio stations to play their artists a lot.

that was the most retarded post i've ever read.. good job on your first post being memorably idiotic

dracomordag
07-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Awsome welcome. Thanks.

Now try explaining yourself.

mike tyson
07-29-2005, 04:28 PM

I don't play instruments or know stuff about time signatures or measure or whatever the fuck else.. but TMV is not compositionally weak. How the hell can you even compare Beethoven and TMV? I seriously have no fucking idea why anyone would make a comparison like that. I don't even know what point you're trying to establish with that last line either.

Beethoven played classical music through long elaborate symphonies. Music today can be long and elaborate (ie. Cassandra Gemini by TMV), but that doesn't mean that what Beethoven does is the same thing and can be compared to what musicians do today. Why the fuck would you ever even think that Beethoven would have tons of airplay today? He's been dead for fucking ever.. and played way back in the day. Modern radiostations and television doesn't play him because when was his fucking music made? Not recently.

I wish I could make my point more clear.. but that's the best I can do.

Naga Royal Guard
07-29-2005, 04:43 PM
FUCK MARS VOLTA I HATE THEM TOO

dracomordag
07-29-2005, 06:16 PM
My point was not that Beethoven should get airplay... my point is that popularity and such do not prove a band's talent. As you said, "I don't play instruments or know stuff about time signatures or measure or whatever the fuck else...", so you obviously can make no comment about how compositionally talented they are. Just because their songs are long and complex on the surface does not mean that they are well composed. There are amazingly long books that are absolute shit. There are huge pieces of visual art that are horrible. There are terrible long movies.

I digress... the point is that, as a professional composer, I know what I'm talking about, and any other studied musician can tell you: the mars volta cannot compose. When I listen to music, it's hard to look over glaring errors, same way you would probably hate reading [/i]See Spot Run[/i] books in your spare time.

Anyway, you may find TMV entertaining, and by all means go ahead, but that does not make it art.

lateralus freak
07-29-2005, 08:06 PM
i know that this has nothing to do with what you guys are talking about, but, smallwanged man, 3433 posts dude! lvl 11! how? dont you get bored?

TTM
07-29-2005, 09:25 PM
I like what my ear likes, and i like tmv and tool. I think my ear has good taste

tmv could do without some useless fillers that seem to wruin songs like the widdow and L'via l'viaque, but hey, thats what the skip button is for. at least about 6 minutes of the 12 are good!

SmallWangedMan
07-29-2005, 09:58 PM
i know that this has nothing to do with what you guys are talking about, but, smallwanged man, 3433 posts dude! lvl 11! how? dont you get bored?

3433 is nothing. There have been those who have come before me with multiples of 3433 posts, and there will still be more to come. (Keep in mind 3433 is from steady posting over the course of more than 2 and a half years...my post average is less than 4 per day.)

SmallWangedMan
07-29-2005, 09:59 PM
I like what my ear likes, and i like tmv and tool. I think my ear has good taste

tmv could do without some useless fillers that seem to wruin songs like the widdow and L'via l'viaque, but hey, thats what the skip button is for. at least about 6 minutes of the 12 are good!

Agreed on all counts.

TTM
07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
My Buick Century has a lot of room in the backseat.

Sex in the car = pwns you.
sex in the back of a truck pwns harder

mike tyson
07-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Anyway, you may find TMV entertaining, and by all means go ahead, but that does not make it art.

Wow. Who are you to judge what is and isn't art? Art can be everything.. don't get me started on that can of worms. Fuck dude, stop being so retarded. Your post was decent before you wrote this heap-of-shit for a comment.

Novus_Opiate_Seclorum
07-29-2005, 11:24 PM
BahhhhhhhRaaaaammmmmmEWwwWwwwweeeee

Cid
07-30-2005, 12:10 AM
I digress... the point is that, as a professional composer, I know what I'm talking about,

When I listen to music, it's hard to look over glaring errors

well tell me, professional composer, what makes an error in music? taste in music is personal, an error to you may be sonically amazing to me. i don't give a fuck about music theory or whatever. i like what sounds good to me, as most people do. the mars volta sound good to me, and to me are very talented at what they do. to you they're not. there is no error in that.

dracomordag
08-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Again I will interate: Whatever brings you emotion and knowledge or whatever you look for in music is what you should listen to. For those of you who like TMV, listen to it. Please. Don't listen to some guy on the internet about what you should and shouldn't like.

My only point was that when I listen to TMV, I get the same feeling that an English teacher might get when reading the sentence "me go to store and buys book." That sentence goes against most rules of english grammar, right? And I know that you have to "push the envelope" and break rules every now and then in art, but there's such a thing as tasteful discretion, and, in my opinion, TMV does not have it. You gotta know the rules to break them, and when I listen to their music I do not hear a knowledge of composition, or as my earlier analogy put it, grammar.

I love Tool because I can hear that tasteful discretion: they have a huge background of musical knowledge to bend and shape to their will and they do so beautifully.

SmallWangedMan
08-06-2005, 07:27 PM
You do realize, their ignoring traditional scales and progressions is completely intentional. Kind of like free jazz.

Also, rock and pop music is about much more than composition. It's certainly a factor in it, but anyway you cut it, we don't listen to the bands we do, any of us, primarily for composition. If we did, well, we wouldn't be listenting to rock/pop music at all.

And Tool's theory is not that advanced, even for rock.

Jacques
08-06-2005, 11:04 PM
You do realize, their ignoring traditional scales and progressions is completely intentional. Kind of like free jazz.
It's really all opinion, but you seem to have ignored this bit here from dracomordag: "there's such a thing as tasteful discretion, and, in my opinion, TMV does not have it."

Is he the authority on all things musical? No, certainly not, and I doubt he wants to try and seem as such. He is just saying that, based on his background and knowledge, he believes the mars volta are not good composers. He backed this up with "they ignore traditional rules of composition", to which you replied "they do that on puprose." Now, maybe I'm just crazy, but I think that doesn't really refute his point.

Also, rock and pop music is about much more than composition. It's certainly a factor in it, but anyway you cut it, we don't listen to the bands we do, any of us, primarily for composition. If we did, well, we wouldn't be listenting to rock/pop music at all.
That's irrelevant to the argument, which is currently judging the quality of the band's music objectively, using composition.

I don't mean to be a dick and fuel arguments I have no real part in, but bad logic makes me sad inside.

SmallWangedMan
08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
While he's welcome to like and dislike whatever he chooses for whatever reason he chooses, he implied that TMV is a bad band because they have poor composition. If we could judge rock bands on that, Nirvana would be among the worst of the last 20 years, and Tool would certainly not be near the top. Of course, we can make judgements like that all day long, but what is the point? I could pick up Bach's complete works and critique the whole thing as shit because there's no energy, songsmanship or production and I would be right, but it certainly doesn't make the music shit.

You're right about the first part though, I misread. SORRIES LOL.

Why the fuck am I defending the mars volta?

dracomordag
08-07-2005, 06:30 AM
If we could judge rock bands on that, Nirvana would be among the worst of the last 20 years, and Tool would certainly not be near the top.

And I believe that Nirvana is one of the worst bands of the last 20 years, so you're just fueling my point...

I don't listen to music for composition, but poor composition almost hurts my ears. Did you read my example of the english teacher reading bad grammar? Go re-read it. That essentially sums up what I am trying to say: although compositional rules are not the absolute standard of quality of music, to me they play a very large role.

Oh, and thanks for helping out, Jacques.

vinegar_tom
08-27-2005, 09:03 PM

I think it's because people feel so frustrated that other people are genuinely inspired and enjoy true art, when they themselves are stuck in a fruitless cycle of pretention.

SmallWangedMan
08-27-2005, 09:33 PM
I think it's because people feel so frustrated that other people are genuinely inspired and enjoy true art, when they themselves are stuck in a fruitless cycle of pretention.

Yeah, that's probably it.

mindseye
08-27-2005, 09:56 PM

Well, I agree and disagree. To define something as true art is pure opinion. Although I do appreciate the music of TMV, I am not going to criticize someone for not appreciating it. That’s why art is so beautiful and unique. It relates differently to each one of us. But I do feel that applying a rule system to art is unfair. But what do I know, I’ve had to much wine.
Cheers.

Bonk
10-30-2005, 07:48 PM
The last two cd's have been awesome. They keep getting better and better.

/V\agina
10-31-2005, 04:57 AM
The Mars Volta and Tool both rock. It took a while for TMV to grow on me, just like Tool, but now I love both of them. I even love At the drive in... But I like them before TMV even existed. Who ever writes their songs (both tmv and atdi) surely has a way with words and musical creativity. The thing is, I have a fetish for complex and/or experimental music. SOAD, Tool, TMV, ATDI, etc....

Sadly, my band-mates do not share my affinity for experimentation.

pushtheenvelope
10-31-2005, 05:50 AM
QUOTE - As a drummer, I'll tell you, their drumming was not very good.

Well as a non-drummer who enjoys seeing live music, I was unbelievably impressed by the fact Jon Theodore can smash away at those things, at such a speed, in such a "disorganised" (according to some) fashion. How would you describe Frank Zappa's song composition?

Never before have I seen a drummer hammer away non-stop like that for almost two hours. And I mean non-stop. Maybe John Bonham back in the day, Mike Portnoy I rate highly, but even still both of these guys are able to have a breather at some stage.....even if it only be for a second or two.

In terms of speed, I would assume some punk drummers and proper death double bassers could keep up that sort of speed, but to me there's just something furious and compelling about Jon's drumming, and this band in general.

The lyrics confuse the shit out me, and sometimes it seems as if this complex vocab is overused a little. I mean look at Tool, it's not the intricacy of the spoken word rather the underlying symbolism and philosophy that makes the lyrics intriguing. But that would be the only way I'd fault the Mars Volta.

All these twats saying they "hate" them is a bit much personally. I'd like to hear the top ten bands of these individuals and see what's going wrong.

I'll go into bat for the Mars Volta any day, and I am very pleased at the thought of seeing them again on home shores this January.

A.

p.s - What a bullshit thread.

champion
10-31-2005, 07:24 AM
hey, what is going on? first opeth, now mars volta. listen, it doesn't matter! if you don't like them, fair to you. if you like them, swell for you. they're both obviously not terrible bands. they have a sound and they do something kind of interesting. if it's not for you, that's fine. there's no reason to be defensive. arguing about things like this is what sets us apart. we should instead be trying to come to the level of the person we're talking to. that's called compassion and understanding. nobody's a ****** for liking a different band.

Ganjalf
10-31-2005, 02:02 PM
danny said he likes mars volta and he would tour with em, so =\

pushtheenvelope
11-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Anybody heard this? I was swimming around in the mars volta forum over at www.thecomatorium.com and I found a place where some kids said maynard won't even ride on the same bus as TMV during the tour.

Anybody heard about this?

Just to re-hash this thread once again.......

Last night I had a dream in which a group of friends of mine had taken Danney Carey out for a bite to eat.

At the dinner table, among other things, I asked him about how much the boys from Tool rate TMV. He replied something about their style being "furious" (a subconscious reclamation of a point I'd made in a previous post about Theodore's drumming) and that he had no qualms with the band.

He then abruptly said "Look I'll give you their phone number if you want", and I said "sweet".

It was at this point he didn't really feel like answering any other questions and my dreamscape changed.

So that solves it.

Not.

A.

crincled
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
its because the mars volta sucks.

because they suck, duh...

you have to respect a band that sucks that bad and still has the balls to keep making music.

actually, this is a joke. i have only heard like 2 tmv songs, and i found them to be extremely boring, so that is my reasoning for ripping on them. they could be really good.

lol

this.

Ps: sorry for the old bump

elusivEuphoria
03-08-2010, 11:04 AM
So does maynard hate TMV or not? I really need to know because I like Maynard but if he hates Mars Volta then I'll have to burn all the CDs I've bought, delete all TMV from my phone and sacrifice a toe to restore my loyalty to Maymay.

Rolo
03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
^
LOL

TOD
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't see Maynard listening to The Mars Volta and rocking out to it, but I doubt he Hates any band. That's a pretty big waste of time, Hating something. You can just go find something else to love, but that's my opinion.

theamazingtool
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Maynard hates The FooFighters

I'm also pretty sure Maynard hates plenty of things, people and kinds of music/bands.

TOD
03-09-2010, 12:13 AM

I'm also pretty sure Maynard hates plenty of things, people and kinds of music/bands.

I'm sure Maynard has said something along the lines of hate not Being an Energy he or Tool deals with, but that it is anger and aggression. Also, he has mentioned that all the things he dislikes about other people (I would include Bands here) he writes down and then turns the finger around. You're just wrong. Go watch some interviews and listen to Lateralus again. Let Go, Let Go.

Alex in Chains
03-09-2010, 07:38 AM
I can't believe I'm actually posting here, as this is pretty much the worst thread ever, but:

I seem to remember him and APC being interviewed before some awards show years ago, and he said he was looking forward to the Foo Fighters' performance that night.

its because the mars volta sucks.

TMV rules. They're wayyy better than Why? (and yes, I like both).

TOD
03-09-2010, 08:33 AM
this is pretty much the worst thread ever
I'm sure there are worse, but this one does suck balls.

elusivEuphoria
03-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I've just sterilized my knife... please answer my question.

base metal
03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
lol this thread

TOD
03-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I've just sterilized my knife... please answer my question.

yes, no, and maybe.

theamazingtool
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I seem to remember him and APC being interviewed before some awards show years ago, and he said he was looking forward to the Foo Fighters' performance that night.

I'm sure he was kidding. I've heard Maynard bash on The Foo Fighters repeatedly in interviews.

TOD
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
The Melvins too.

Mosis
12-24-2010, 03:12 AM
tool is my favourite band, but i'm embarassed by adam's performance. omar rodriguez-lopez of tmv is by orders of magnitude a better guitarist than adam in every respect; technically, psychedelically, creatively... i mean, adam's riffs are pitifully bland and uninteresting - many tool songs are just one and the same riff played over and over with varying degrees of distortion, palm-muting and fuzz.

adam's guitar work quickly loses its lustre - omar's does not.

elusivEuphoria
12-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Wow, completely beg to differ. I think I'm gonna go ahead and fly off the proverbial handle and say that has got to be one of the most short sighted (serious) comments I've read in a while. While I can see what you are trying to say and agree that Omar is certainly excellent at composition and technically more proficient a player than Adam.... to say one is better than the other, that Adam's performance is "embarrassing", that he isn't as creative, that Omar DOESN'T get boring...

I love both guitarists immensely but 2 things that piss me off...

1. When musicianship and artistic pursuit are equated to a pissing contest or some variant of competition rather than what it IS which is expression, no more, no less.

2. When people state their opinion as a matter of fact.

If you think Adam is boring, that's fine. But shit, don't say one is better than the other. Music is Art, Art is Expression. That kind of attitude is sort of thing that would cripple music because it basically perpetuates the idea... "Sorry Johnny, I know you love playing the drums, but you just aren't technically proficient enough, no one is going to respect you as a player. You might as well just give up now."

I happen to find Adam's tonal control to be exquisite. His riffs may be redundant or predictable, but I personally feel like I can hear every ounce of passion behind his playing just because of the articulation of his tone, the bends, his wah, pick-scraps, what-have-ya.... the man sculpts sound with the best of 'em.

edit: PS just wanted to add i'm running on about 10 hours of sleep in the past 54 hours of my life... you suck dude.

Mosis
12-25-2010, 11:42 PM
of course i'm not stating my opinion as fact, i'm just stating my opinion

by saying one is better than the other, of course i mean i like one better than the other

i agree that adam sculpts sound with them best of 'em - it's just that all of adam's sculptures look the same, whereas omar actually brings some innovation into the game. can you honestly say that adam has improved in any way from lateralus to 10, 000 days? i mean, jambi is one fucking note, the pot is two fucking notes, the second being an octave higher than the first, lost keys might as well be a beginner exercise in broken triads, and rosetta stoned is utterly dull - not to mention the rehashed riffs in vicarious and right in two... i mean, omar certainly has a tendency to wank, and loses sight of the bigger musical picture in some of his live performances, but he's constantly bringing new ideas and new sounds to the table. adam is certainly innovating the sound of his guitar, but he presented his most creative riffs during the undertow era (of course, in my opinion - does this really need to be stated every time?) and has been riding on one or two note repeated-riff bullshit ever since

i don't mean to conflate musical expression with a pissing contest, but i mean, c'mon, after playing for 20 years, you'd think adam could move past drop-d tuning and power chords, yeah?

elusivEuphoria
12-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Maybe, but that's what the dude likes. He has, at least in brief glimpses, moved away from drop-d. Parabola namely. Vicarious is a lot more complicated than it sounds, especially that opening riff. Anyone attempting to play it as just two riffs repeating in whatever pattern is doing it wrong. Adam has said he's actually playing a section in 7, runs it in a loop and then plays a riff in 5 on top of that. The push and pull sound of the riff comes from the riff in 5 coming into and out of phase with the riff in 7 underneath. Also his pacing of his understated "two-note" melodies do take some practice to get down since they are often fit to some wobbly time signature.

More-over really the way I feel about Adam is that in the context of Tool, he doesn't have to be, and probably shouldn't be anything more than what he is. I personally feel that if you were to somehow transplant (for the sake of arguement) Omar's ability into Adam's creative direction... Tool would sound like complete garbage. Danny and Adam would be battling for their place, Justin would get completely lost in the mix and Maynard would probably end up being forced to match a melody that one of the three was playing because there wouldn't be anymore room, compositionally speaking, for Maynard to find a new melody that swims on top of the music.

Also I think, calling Jambi and one-note song, and The Pot a two-note song is a gross oversight. That's only looking at a portion of a song, or in the pot's case, a portion of the opening riff. The riffs he has for the breakdown and outro are pretty creative if you ask me. Not necessarily something rehashed.

Adam is exactly what he has to be for Tool to be Tool.

Mars Volta is Omar.

Both are awesome, but they get the job done in two completely different ways.

crincled
12-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Mars Volta is Omar + Cedric

fixed.

also, has anyone listened to Omar's "Cizana del Corazon" or something like that?

fucking fantastic.

edit: imo (http://rodriguezlopezproductions.com/catalog/)

elusivEuphoria
12-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Yeah but even Omar gives Cedric direction on lyrics, melodies or at the very least concepts. He's said though that for their follow up to Octahedron that he will be letting Cedric do his own thing. So, even still... TMV is like 95% Omar.

Also Mosis, I'm gonna go ahead and drop this whole thing. I'm borderline trollin anyways, so I'll just leave it at, I don't think you are giving Adam a fair shake. The bro knows what he's doing, hes got passion and he plays with passion. We can't ask for much more than that. But you've got every right to dislike his playing.

nondescript
01-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I have become a Tool lover mainly due to my son liking them and me tuning in to see what they were about. I just watched a TMV video on youtube and I think they suck ass and have 0 talent. I've never heard of them before and now I know why.

Mosis
01-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah but even Omar gives Cedric direction on lyrics, melodies or at the very least concepts. He's said though that for their follow up to Octahedron that he will be letting Cedric do his own thing. So, even still... TMV is like 95% Omar.

Also Mosis, I'm gonna go ahead and drop this whole thing. I'm borderline trollin anyways, so I'll just leave it at, I don't think you are giving Adam a fair shake. The bro knows what he's doing, hes got passion and he plays with passion. We can't ask for much more than that. But you've got every right to dislike his playing.

i didn't realize we were fighting. i'll have you know that i bought new speakers, and i've been hearing tool like i never have before - in particular, i'm paying more attention to the quality of adam's tone and the texture of his sound, and it's incredibly intricate and beautiful. i think you "presented a case" for adam, as it were, very well and i don't think you're trolling.

i always thought TMV were equal parts omar and cedric

elusivEuphoria
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Cool

elusivEuphoria
02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Haha, this myth is BUSTED (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJALnQiLyR0&feature=feedu)!

mcnadd
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
hahaha i swear hes watching

mcnadd
02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
next he'll be playing some rollins

crincled
02-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Haha, this myth is BUSTED (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJALnQiLyR0&feature=feedu)!

thank GOD! how can anyone not like TMV? that's just a person I don't wanna know, really :D

elusivEuphoria
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
thank GOD! how can anyone not like TMV? that's just a person I don't wanna know, really :D

I know right? Thank god this thread has been resolved now. Unfortunately it was too late for my toes :(

Mosis
02-26-2011, 09:00 PM
nicely done

RayBourque777
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
wrong do it again, time to go, I dunno I was very drunk at the time, time to go, this is the united states calling are we reaching.... time to go, can loca ride, Mrs. Pilchett who's that? time to go, time to go, time to go, wrong do it again, look mummy there's an airplane up in the sky, time to go, time to go, wrong do it again, I hate you you fucking dirty white ******, I CANT KEEP HOLDING ON TO WHAT YOU GOT WHEN ALL YOU GOT IS HURT

RayBourque777
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
n*Gg*R

RayBourque777
02-28-2011, 03:26 PM
n*Gg*R lying no good L Y I N G N*gG*er

RayBourque777
02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd rather be happy than right any day, well are you?? Hahahaha no - well that's where it all falls down of course

mysoultheunderground
05-31-2011, 06:12 AM
Maynard listens to The Mars Volta.

You want proof? It is in one of his own handmade videos about wine-making:
http://youtu.be/LJALnQiLyR0

Evidence that he doesn't hate the band.

And why would he, when they are GOOD? :P

elusivEuphoria
05-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Little late with that bro...

doktorpeace
03-28-2014, 08:12 PM
I know this thread is super old, but I felt like commenting. I'm loving the banter between MrMcPheezy and Cyanide ChrYst. I feel most akin to Lady Mackay, though. MrMcPheezy is trying to get some real discussion going on with Cyanide ChrYst, but is a bit opinionated and sometimes calls Cyanide names, which, in turn, incites Cyanide and he retorts with equally opinionated and hurtful comments.

In any event, I'd love to know (perhaps from MrMcPheezy) if there is indeed a way to quantify talent (notes per second, tonal accuracy). The way I see it, there will nearly always be a level of professionalism and dedication to bands/artists who have made it onto a major label. Of course this is not the same talent, but they usually are better rehearsed than your average Tuesday-night high-school band - even if they are simply puppets of the record label who receive world-class training and tedious tonal correction and lip-sync and all that jazz - they still are dedicated.

In any event, I've only seen The Volta once live, and really enjoyed seeing a creative prog-rock band just going for it, but their sound was simply too "loose" for the venue hall. All I heard was delay on everything and high-pitched voice. It was only during the drum breakdowns where the guitars and synths stopped that I could tell what they were trying to do. But I was still glad they just went for it. I definitely gotta grab their albums and have a listen.

But of course the reason we're all here on this forum is because tool just does it for us - our true musical love. I am both glad that I found arguably the best band to ever have existed, but on the other hand I'm sad I will probably never be able to create something as great as what they have created. But perhaps it is a good thing - it pushes me to be something different - something closer to what I truly am...

THUNDERCHODE
07-25-2014, 08:42 AM

And nothing here explains what any of it has to do with The fucking Grudge.

DogStar_OG
03-09-2015, 10:39 PM
And nothing here explains what any of it has to do with The fucking Grudge.

it doesn't at all.