PDA

View Full Version : Zen

5-MeO-AmT
10-23-2004, 12:15 AM
i believe that the triad in one sense deals with the idea of creation? where the inferior positive principle and inferior negative principle are in connection with the superior conciliatory principle. these three principles are not subjected to time, suggesting neither a beginning or end.. kind of "one." or that perhaps everything exists as one, making time meaningless? whatever the case may be.. I do not know much about the triad in eastern philosophy, so if anyone cares to enlighten me, please do so.

JTCrace
10-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Here's what I've discovered as far as triads...

An Indian philosopher Patanjali developed an interesting system of triads. It's called the Gunas Principle (found in the Yogasutras--must find good translation though). There is the positive, active, male element: the tamas. There is the negative, passive female element: the rajas. And then there is the sattva. This last part of the triad, the sattva, is difficult to articulate. I think of it as the basic spark of Beingness that ignites and fuels the tamas and the rajas. Sattva cannot really be translated as straight beingness however, because the tamas is usually considered the beingness aspect (and the rajas the not-beingness aspect). I think of the Sattva as Absolute beingness and the tamas as relative beingness.

The ultimate purpose of the Gunas Principle is resolution of polarities, or, dualities. One takes a particular problem in one's life, and separates these three aspects. Actually, what occurs is that one spots the tamas and the rajas and then one does a little trick. The resolution amounts to discovering that one is truly being both and one is fueling the tamas and rajas. I've heard the sattva resolves into YOU.

My teacher once said that there are three elements to everything: the positive, the negative and then how much you really give a fuck. He didn't say it specifically but later on I realized he was referring to the Gunas Principle.

I've been studying the Kabbalah a bit and I've found a correlation between it and the Gunas. Kether would be Sattva, Hokma would be the Tamas and Binah would the Rajas. This could be completely off but it looks eerily similar to me.

When looked at in the context of the Kabbalah, then definitely it could be like what you said, "the order of creation."

When you used the phrasing, "inferior" dualities and then the "conciliatory" principle...that sounds very much like the Gunas.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey MeO, i'm ordering a few bufo frogs in the mail soon.
I've done dmt once. Exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed.

JTCrace
10-26-2004, 06:16 PM
I've thought of some simple real-life models to illustrate the Gunas Principle. Both deal with playing musical instruments.

It came to me one day that playing the drums is based on a triad. First there is the active, positive element: the stick (ironically, it happens to be phallic-shaped); and then the negative, passive element: the drum or cymbal (again, this is circular, symbolizing the vagina). The Sattvic element would be the human being that happens to be beating on the drums at any particular time. The human is providing the spark of pure beingness that initiates the interaction between the yin and yang elements, hopefully resulting in rhythm.

Also, a guitar can be looked at in this manner, but with a different twist. This time the positive element is the strumming of the strings. The negative element is the fretting process. Again, the human provides the Sattvic element. Notice, this paradigm isn't as obvious as the one using drums.

Triangular_Vision
10-28-2004, 08:21 AM
just when the surface of the water becomes stable enough to see the intricate patterns of life within, cyanide jumps in ass first SCREAMING BONZIIIIIIIIIII

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Actually it's "Banzai"... meaning 'thousand years to the empire'.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 03:01 PM
And anybody who realizes the meaning of life through a rock song is probably the same kind of person who signs up for the monthly newsletter at Atrology.net.

JTCrace
10-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't rock-n-roll a form of art. And not only is art supposed to entertain and amuse, it is supposed to draw us in and inspire us to look at life in new and creative ways (laterally I suppose).

Cyanide, your posts consistently exude the most penetrating intelligence this forum has ever seen. Your candor and insight inspire millions. Thank you for spending your time and energy to help those of us who don't already get enough fucking trash off of the TV and radio. Sad really. I guess your presence is proof enough that, yeah, things do decay and there are always suppressive individuals there to make sure of it. I was at a TOOL show once in Cincinnati and before the performance there were quite a few persons throwing coins at motorists off of the balcony. I thought to myself, "How can these individuals understand TOOL, when they don't have the fucking respect and decency to not destroy other people's property?"

But I think I get it now. Imagine Cyanide Christ, you actually get inspired, write something intelligent, maybe even brilliant, that you want to share with others on the forum. I know it's hard to imagine but bear with me. And then some dumb fuck keeps writing short, annoying posts that display his insecurity over his lack of ability to contribute anything worthwhile to the discussion. He can't create, so he decides he might as well destroy.

And don't bother replying. You will be ignored, always. I promise.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Yeah, and art is exactly what? When was the last time you looked at a painting and were inspired to go off and join the aids foundation? Save any old women from being hit by cars after visiting the Louvre? You're a dumbass and so is your take on art.

Tool's still great.

Hey, hold on while I log onto Thesaurus.com and get a few synonyms for words I know but just don't convey how upset I am that you 'ignore' me. If you think I'm the sort of person who throws kids into oncoming traffic, you're dead on. But if you think I'd throw a quarter onto somebody's bike...that's just fucking dick.
Refer to my 'Dumbass in live version' post in the Patient subforum to find out *just* how much of an emofag Thursday fan I am.

Just because I'm not prancing around with a feather in my ass, writing boring, unoriginal and abusively long posts disecting every fucking WORD a musician like Maynard writes, does NOT make me shallow or 'unable to comprehend such art'. You fags need to wake the hell up: you're not intellectually superior to ANYTHING because you listen to tool.

It's what you do with the emotions that well inside you when you listen to Lateralus that makes you a "creative and inspired" person. Not joining a forum and discussing your nonchalant opinions about every song you hear, constantly agreeing with EVERYTHING --EVERYONE-- posts, never thinking for yourself like your god Maynard wants.

I think I'm finished, but I feel there's still a little bit of dumbass spray on me and I cant figure out how to get it off. Perhaps you should read my signature.