PDA

View Full Version : the gaping lotus experience

spook
11-20-2002, 08:59 AM
could it be that they just haad extra studio time that they had to fill. sounds like they were just winging it to me.

Typx
11-21-2002, 07:25 PM
I can't see it being them just jerking around, I think they probably just wanted to have something twisted and light at the end, and that was what they came up with.

BentEnvelope
11-22-2002, 02:14 PM
I don't know about you guys but this song sounds a lot like The Doors. it's got that trippy, psychedellic feel to it. I know it's just a filler, but is there any significance to it at all? I don't see Tool just putting it in just for the hell of it. Maybe it's to emphasize the effect of acid =)

Necronomicon
11-23-2002, 08:57 PM
I think they kept it out of the main listing so they could keep up the track six, six minutes, and 6 seconds in to get to it, hmm?

I don't get the "satan" part. <shrugs>

verisimilitude
11-23-2002, 10:30 PM
the "satan" part is just maynard fucking around, probably. just thought it would sound stupid; so stupid it would be funny. GLE also reminds me of the doors. let's face it, this song has no point and is just there because they thought it would be funny to throw something in to make people turn to each other and say, "what the hell?"

Spiral
12-01-2002, 07:18 PM
I personally like this.

Sounds like hippie music, reminds me of the sixties era-pyschodelic (sp?) period.

Does the band ever play this live?

I can't remember them playing this in any of there shows, anyone heard them play this live before?

sk8ingknot4659
12-02-2002, 08:01 PM
haha, you know that the song is probably true, i bet he really did have some friends who did those things.....

Mark D
12-03-2002, 04:52 PM
I think this is just about what Maynard has seen high people do. And since he is a lyrical genius, he made a song about it.

neo_taboolie
12-04-2002, 09:04 PM
Well I don't think it takes a lyrical genius to think this stuff up, just a couple of bad weekends and hungover mornings...
Remember, it was early days for Tool anyway, so you use the time signiture (666) and chuck in just some humerous anecdote for the listeners to enjoy.
There can't be much more to it than that, can there?

svet-am
03-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Not really all that earth-moving, but I am pretty sure that Maynard's chanting 'Satan....Satan' is referring to over-cloistered people who think that drugs are 'the great satan.'

I.E., in the song, he's giving in and succumbing to the 'satan' at hand (drugs)...

africanherbsman
03-21-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't know about you guys but this song sounds a lot like The Doors.

Yep, it sounds like their song "The End" off the movie Apocalypse Now

AllforUnity
03-23-2004, 12:57 PM
l don't think this song sounds like The End...The End wasn't really about drugs at all.

BlooReflection696
03-30-2004, 09:53 AM
I agree both that he says what dumb stuff stoned friends do and say "This is what your parents/christians call "satan" and I agree that they are sorta jus fuckin around saying something and not being serious think about tool can do it...Maynards Dick...............btw I love Maynards DIck:P

AllforUnity
03-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Actually l think they were probably just winging it too. Maybe he was saying Satan because they were recording some Occult ceremony and the more we listen to it, satan is going to take over our minds and start a revolution.

africanherbsman
04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
l don't think this song sounds like The End...The End wasn't really about drugs at all.

It does sound similar to The End musicaly, but not lyrically.

AllforUnity
04-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Well yeah l guess it does some-what resemble it...the guitar in it l suppose.

jarred
05-11-2004, 04:02 PM
i love the way its so different to all their other songs on that cd.

IC
08-18-2004, 12:43 PM
i think its like-now that we yelled at actions taking place at this religion, lets make fun of the other, opposite end..
haha

eyebrowsmcgee
08-27-2004, 04:05 PM
The way I see The Gaping Lotus Experience is as a complement to the title track of the album. Opiate seems to be about religion as a drug for the people, probably inspired by Marx, and TGLE fulfills that light-heartedly with its acid and ecstasy story. Part of the irony is that TGLE alludes to the conception that drugs are evil whereas Opiate describes religion as a drug.

Raider
11-06-2004, 05:48 PM
I've always liked it, funny and amusing.

endlesswater
11-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Funny... If this song wasn't from the first release, I'd say it was about how people who don't really get Tool (ie Walmart people) think the band is all about Satanism and hate and violence and drugs and all that bad shit... and this was Maynard's little joke making a song that has drugs and Satan in it for those people.
But since it IS from the first release, that can't be it.
Unless.. do you think Maynard has precognition???

Raider
11-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Who knows, but that's what I was thinking of the first time I heard it, I bought Opiate after all that stuff started to get talked about so that's how it hit me first.

ARMZ
01-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I think the last few words sum up the song

"I'm getting bored, I'm getting bored......."

I don't know but I love how it fades in and out and plus at the very beginning those moans or what ever the fuck they are sound quite gruesome.

IC
01-23-2005, 06:47 PM
;)

Petary791
07-13-2005, 10:40 PM
When I first hear this, I was pretty freaked out. When I hear the end, (i'm getting bored...) it reminds me of people who do drugs so much that they're just getting bored of them.

Spiral Into Nothing
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
When I first hear this, I was pretty freaked out. When I hear the end, (i'm getting bored...) it reminds me of people who do drugs so much that they're just getting bored of them.

no.

Tool_Era
09-20-2006, 07:12 PM
lmao this song is such a trip.. its hilarious aswell!

paravariations
03-22-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree that this song sounds a lot like The End by The Doors. I also think that this song was recorded as a joke, and that there is no deeper meaning to it.

<Insertcrypticnamehere>
03-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree that this song sounds a lot like The End by The Doors. I also think that this song was recorded as a joke, and that there is no deeper meaning to it.

can I ask why you posted your last comment in a thread that hasn't been posted in since last september? Especially when ur comment pertains directly to my thread that I started that no one has responded to? (see "the Doors" thread)

paravariations
03-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Hah. I didn't even notice the date of the comment that was posted before mine. I didn't notice your thread either. Sorry.

Resolution
05-30-2007, 06:23 AM
goddamn fairies floating around trying to marry everyone with psycho firetrucks pissing on lighters, i mean the nerve!

miketh74
09-02-2007, 11:05 AM
goddamn fairies floating around trying to marry everyone with psycho firetrucks pissing on lighters, i mean the nerve!

Smells kinda cool, kinda funny anyway.............