PDA

View Full Version : can anyone hear "the voice" or am i nutz..

rbeise
01-23-2003, 05:11 PM
ive been listening to tool for a while now.. i keep falling into the same cycle of listening to one song for and entire day, sometimes a week, and latley its been sober....

what the hell is that moaning sound aroung the 4min mark?? It seems to echo twice.. Is it real??

any help would be appreciated..

extra comment regarding MJK opinion on how us fans are "way off" in our interperataions of his music. Does he ever sit down and explain what they mean to him or the band?? Ive been reading alot of the postings today and really enjoy them..

rb

Spoon
01-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Ya I hear that too, it's like a quick sound, not sure what it is, if anything.

I am pretty sure the band know what the songs mean and not just Maynard. Adam in an interview once talked about a couple of the songs meanings and how people tell him what they think and even though they may be way off, Adam will just say (as will the other guys) "hey that's cool" as long as it's positive. If it's negative, he may correct them

I think that they are just happy to inspire thought and creativity in people, as long as it has positive aspects and results..

Penguin
01-24-2003, 08:50 PM
I can't hear any moaning at 4:00 =\

Is that the exact time it happens? Or what..

Fruitbar11
01-26-2003, 02:10 PM
He wasn't in anyway debunking in anway our opinions, because as you said he doesn't just sit down and say this is what I mean. He wants his songs to be open for interpretation he was most likely refering to such theories as Jimmy being a prediction of the Sept. 11 event. And I detest those theories that portray MJK as some sort of prophet for god.

4th Eye
02-04-2003, 06:17 AM
I'm not sure what that sound is but check out the faq, question F16. There's some kind of explanation. I wonder if that sound has some meaning too... Who knows, it's Tool!

TimothyLeary
02-15-2003, 09:14 AM
"what the hell is that moaning sound aroung the 4min mark?? It seems to echo twice.. Is it real?? "

This is Tool humour my friend. If you turn it up really loud and listen to it, it sounds like someone is yelling "turn that shit down!" from another room. Hope that helps

P.S.- I belive there is a song on opiate that does a similar thing, can't remember though...

MeThoD
02-27-2003, 07:27 PM
id say it sounds like a voice... saying hey or something

hailthemaggots
11-25-2003, 03:33 AM
"

P.S.- I belive there is a song on opiate that does a similar thing, can't remember though...

The song is Opiate, and there is a phone ringing, but i cant remember where in the song im afraid.....

Windir
11-25-2003, 04:52 AM
I would like to hear it, but I think you are nutz (though I tried it on the Sober video).

neochrist
11-25-2003, 06:49 AM
i hear voices. but not in this song, i also hear nintendo music playing in my head constantly, i think im going crazy, the other day i heard somebody keep telling me my gf was the devil and that i had to get away from her, it wasnt easy explaining that to her when i came back to reality.

AllforUnity
12-05-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't really hear anything on this song.

magdalena_jane
01-06-2004, 11:42 AM
"F16. Hey, about four minutes into "Sober", there's this muffled screaming in the background, isn't there?
Yes, there is. While it was thought to be a production error for some time, it turns out now that it's Maynard shouting, though not shouting explicitly "turn that shit down" as was previously thought. If you had it up loud enough, you know, you might think it was a parent or the neighbors.
It occurs midway through the song: "...trust me, trust me; why can't (*) we not (*) be sober..." , where the *'s are."

Windir
01-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi... and welcome to T.D.N.

AllforUnity
01-08-2004, 07:48 AM
Screaming yes...but not quote unqoute "weird voices".

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-09-2004, 07:28 PM
ive been listening to tool for a while now.. i keep falling into the same cycle of listening to one song for and entire day, sometimes a week, and latley its been sober....

what the hell is that moaning sound aroung the 4min mark?? It seems to echo twice.. Is it real??

any help would be appreciated..

extra comment regarding MJK opinion on how us fans are "way off" in our interperataions of his music. Does he ever sit down and explain what they mean to him or the band?? Ive been reading alot of the postings today and really enjoy them..

rb

I didn't feel like scrolling down... READ THE FAQ BEFORE YOU ASK Q's...

"Turn that shit down!" That's the answer to your question... he says that...

Pitts
04-28-2004, 08:10 AM
yeah ive heard those too they come around like twice within about 5 seconds or so....only hear em when im high.

AllforUnity
04-28-2004, 11:59 AM
....only hear em when im high.

That tells you why you hear the "voices."

Undertolerance
05-06-2004, 11:56 AM
That is indeed correct its MJK yelling in the midst of lyrics. And the phone in opiate is roughly half way thorugh the song, though I do not remember the exact time. You all are just going to have to sit down and listen to whole thing, you really cannot miss it.
on a side note have any of you heard the modem sounds in Sweat when he yells? Its like a dial up modem sound, you all should be familiar with that sound.

clown137
05-12-2004, 12:45 PM
wow i never noticed that, it sounded like someone called my name at 3:57 and 4:00, it creeped the fuck out of me lol

kmg1171
05-16-2004, 10:12 AM
id say it sounds like a voice... saying hey or something

Yeah, right when he sings "we not" it sounds to me like a voice just yelling "Hey!". The sound is too quick for someone to yell "Turn that shit down!"

hunter
05-19-2004, 04:00 PM
i was wondering that,every time i hear it i think that someone is like yelling out to me from another room i was waiting for some one to post that on hear! because it was starting to freak me out that every time i listend to sober that i would hear voices!

munted_soul
05-20-2004, 03:24 AM
No your not going insane, it's just maynard yelling in the backround, twice.

Raev'n
06-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Dammit I can't hear it. Probably because I have a crappy radio =/

Abstract
07-16-2004, 11:59 PM
I actually hear that voice at 3:57 first, then again at 4:00. I thought that was someone saying something like "whoa", or something like that.

salival_sty
07-18-2004, 12:24 AM
That is indeed correct its MJK yelling in the midst of lyrics. And the phone in opiate is roughly half way thorugh the song, though I do not remember the exact time. You all are just going to have to sit down and listen to whole thing, you really cannot miss it.
on a side note have any of you heard the modem sounds in Sweat when he yells? Its like a dial up modem sound, you all should be familiar with that sound.

To satisfy all, I hope:

As can be deduced from the latest FAQs, the sound in "Sober" is indeterminate, though originally thought to be "turn that shit down." To me it sounds like "Hey!" or "Oh!" or indeterminate vocal noise, and by my CDplayer, it occurs at 4:00 and 4:03 (which may change, based on CD and player.)

The ringing phone occurs twice in "Opiate," around 4:46 and 4:53 (again, times may vary by CD and player). As for "Sweat," I hear no modem-like noise, but depending on which speakers it's playing, I do catch varying levels of reverb.

Other sounds/vocals include the following (as can be seen in the FAQs):

In "Crawl Away," at about 4:24-4:39, "Got you in a stranglehold, baby. Get up, get up, get up, now," with the first half repeated twice (once in very garbled form, and the "now" possibly "whoa" or other bizarre sound.

At the beginning of "Flood," the words "Here comes the water."

In "Stinkfist," at about 2:45, "Chupa minha pica pichu; chupa minha pica pinto."

And some guesses but largely clueless-fulness for the whispery parts in "Eulogy," "46+2," "Hooker with a Penis," and "No Quarter."

Dead string, I hope.

New new-bie me.

WitheringMyIntuition
08-10-2004, 09:09 PM
lol. Everyone has heard this, you just dont know it. You usually think its your dad or mom yelling at your brother, or the neighbors talking to their kids. So they forget about it. But listen closely... lol. Its just TooL humor trying to make a simple thing analyzed over and over by their fans ;)