PDA

View Full Version : Lateralus and the "Golden Mean"

KCh
01-23-2003, 01:53 PM
I have yet to see someone who has posted about this, but there has been many books and articles written about the use of the Fibonacci Sequence and the golden mean in music.

The golden mean is supposed to be the most pleasing image ever concieved. It was used in architecture of the greeks and egyptians, but also in the music of such masters as Beethoven and Mozart. It would only seem plausable that the only real 'secret' to this album is the fact that Tool used this 'Golden Mean' to construct the album in the most beautiful of all forms, or they just used it to 'experiment' with it's properties and see what wonders are created.

The album certainly has that 'sympathetic' feel everytime I hear it which compels me to envelope myself in its beauty.

schismgrudge200
01-23-2003, 10:52 PM
damn dude, good thinking, im sure it do with teh fibonacci sequence, i havent heard of the golden mean yet, but im going to find out now, thanks man

Timothy
01-24-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by KCh
I have yet to see someone who has posted about this, but there has been many books and articles written about the use of the Fibonacci Sequence and the golden mean in music.

Look a bit harder ;)

paraflux
01-29-2003, 02:57 PM
yeah those posts are actually everywhere, especially in 46&2 and Lateralus (the song) categories

KCh
01-31-2003, 10:38 PM
In your quote I think you fail to realize that I said that 'I' didn't know of any other posts, not that no one else did.

I would have rather liked responses that indulged further on the matter at hand and not some petty misgivings about my knowledge of the forums.

But hey who am I to point the finger...maybe everyone would rather focus on faults.

I've looked through the forums and yet I do not see anything whatsoever on 'The Golden Mean' or 'The Divine Measure' or any such likeness. Yes there is much on Fibonacci sequence, but that is only a part of what I spoke of and hardly the foundation of it's implication.

jpmanson
02-01-2003, 01:42 AM
http://ulcar.uml.edu/~iag/CS/Fibonacci.html

it is interesting to note that the golden mean is equal to phi.. which is the basis of the fibonacci sequence