PDA

View Full Version : what i think

LyingRealist
11-20-2002, 05:58 AM
Pushit is to me like schism in the way that perhaps it is actually about what is being said and there is no super mega mindbending meaning.
the only thing i actually find mindbending is how good this song is musically and lyrically.

The meaning i get from pushit is that hes in a relationship with someone whom he no longer wishes to remain with.
but the other person wont let go.
and he is trapped within the ralationship and must get out.

pretty simple yet there is alot of emotion in it.

i have had an experience like this and i found that this song was perfect to how i felt.

just a thought...

kette
12-04-2002, 11:46 PM
yea, i agree with the analysis that there is a relationship between the speaker and a lover that is all kinds of unhealthy. but i think the thing that most people miss is that the speaker (here, Maynard) still cares very much for the other person in the relationship, but finds himself playing the role of the stronger individual, and therefore the one who has the responsibility to both of them to call it quits. two quotes to back this up...

"Take care not to make me enter. 'cause if I do we both may disappear." -- meaning that we will both lose our individual selves and become a two-headed monster bent on self-destruction

-- and --

"Just remember I will always love you, even as I tear your fucking throat away." -- meaning that i'm sorry this has to end this way, but we both know we need out. even as i am hurting you i am doing this (i.e. getting out of this relationship) because i have to be strong enough for both of us to realise it is time.

Binah3
12-11-2002, 06:13 AM
i agree with both posts here...in general i think this song could be put towards any aspect of life or anything that someone has a love for but needs to let go of it...it could be put towards religion, sports, relationships, jobs, etc. I think this song could be interpreted in any way in which the listener wants...it could be put to personal terms just as almost every tool song could. this song could impact every listener in a different but yet a same way as another.

ThreeDeviations
12-11-2002, 03:54 PM
LyingRealist... That's my perspective, too.

I was going to make a new thread on the page talking about it, fortunately I saw you had already written it... but I will give some brief insight on my perception.

I perceive Pushit as the "Rated R" and Schism as the "PG" explanation of the same relationship.
Pushit representing his impulsive, raw feelings...
Schism being more reflective, rational thought.

Pushit is a more emotional and intense because I don't think he was that far removed from the relationship when he wrote it.
(Maybe he was even still involved when it was written.)

Schism is definitely emotional and intense but on a different level than Pushit. I don't feel any of the pure frustraton in Schism that I detect in Pushit.

"I know the pieces fit because I watched them fall away..." This should tell the listener that the situation he's referring to is in his past... which is another reason I think Schism is Pushit - recreated.

In Pushit he says "Saw the GAP again today..." I think the word "gap" in the context of that sentence has confused a lot of people, self included. However, if you think about the word schism... it is basically a synonym for "gap."
(Saw the gap again today..)
So in my mind, when he says "I saw the gap again today..."
He's not talking about literally seeing something with his eyes. He's saying that he has once again come to realize in his own mind that there are too many faults (schisms/gaps) in their relationship to conintue on with it... he wants out... even though his lover is "begging me (him) to stay."

Then notice he says "managed to push myself away...and you, as well my dear." This line, at least to me... is "Maynard" acknowledging that he shares responsiblity for the relationship not working. He's basically explaining that he's saving both of them from one another... (even though his lover doesn't want to be apart)

Ok, I got a little sidetracked... didn't plan on saying this much-

Lyingrealist- You should read my thread on 4 degrees...You're one person who might appreciate/understand it.
I think Reflection has some similarities to 4 degrees. Somewhat similar to how Schism relates w Pushit.