PDA

View Full Version : Parabola and the spirit

N_I3
11-20-2002, 05:51 AM
I always envisioned the Laturalus album as a story. The Grudge is a fight. The Patient is the hospital after the fight. Schism is the soul leaving the body and Parabol/Parabola is the soul returning (It returns right at the start of Parabola). Now Each song has many more parts within it, messages and so forth, but overall the storyline for those songs can be summed up like that.

So I ask myself what is Maynards message in Parabol/a. Well without really thinking into it my first impression was, we are all eternal. Don't worry about the trivial things that happen in life. You are only in this body for a while, realise that you should be in it, realise that you should be, Alive.

Now if I know Tool, there is never one meaning to a song. Each song has many different interpertaions, so I went to thinking about it in another light. This line stuck out. "This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." So the body is nothing more than a container. We are eternal, destined to leave the body after it serves its purpose. We chose when we leave, we leave when we are ready for what lays ahead. "We are choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside". The realisation that we can do that is a Holy expierance".

So how does Parabol fit in? Well like I said, the man is not in his body. "So familiar and overwhelmingly warm". It is like he is in his natural, unbodied state. "This one, this form I hold now. Embracing you, this reality here" He knows that he is in a different reality. The spiritual uncontousness. Think of the wood panels by Alex Grey, specifically the one found on page 62 of transfigurations. The person is in a higher state of being. Above the world, above reality. "We barely remember what came before this precious moment, Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside... This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion." This ending statement tells of how he remembers his body and longs to return to it. He is not yet ready to leave the material world. This precious moment is the point that he realises that he is eternal, but he knows that he must return to his altered state of mind later.

So then how does the ending of Parabola fit in? "Twirling round with this familiar parable. Spinning, weaving round each new experience. Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing." This parable, he had to decide which is better, physical life or eternal life. He chose physical. He realises that we are here in the material world for only a short time. That we should enjoy each new expierance, try new things. Enjoy life, have fun, make your life good. This holy gift of life is in essence that a gift, a gift that can be taken away. One that we must enjoy until it breaks (death). So in the end the message is we must embrace life. We are eternal, but we are here in this state for only a little bit. Enjoy that bit to the full extent before the gift of life runs out.

Those are my ideas in reference to Parabol/a. I have read some of the other interpertations and I also like them. There are many ways to interperate any Tool song, or any poem for that manner. So take what you will, leave what you must. That is all.