PDA

View Full Version : Inhibited Actions

glucose
08-19-2004, 12:21 PM
This is my take on the meaning of this song, if someone else has already expressed similar views, I guess you should be happy someone agreed with you.
Haaa!

When I say "HE" in the following- im just refering to the character not Maynard.

There's a shadow just behind me, ( This is his conscience )

shrouding every breath I take, ( His conscience filters his thoughts and makes them socially acceptable)

making every promise empty, (It tells him that if he does what he is told to do in life, that his life will have meaning- he realizes this is untrue and lacks fufillmet within himself, causing intern a chance to question-- Religion, Life Meaning etc.)

pointing every finger at me. (Judging himself with with the weaknesses implimented upon him through life expiriences.)

Waiting like a stalking butler
who upon the finger rests. ( The shadow- his conscience is costantly putting its two cents in, which inhibits his actions and choices

Murder now the path called "must we"
just before the son has come. ( Wants to truely live as we are capable of doing- before a day of reckoning (our enevitable deaths)- and to do so, as Maynard says in 46&2-we gotta "shed our skin" chip away at our restricting egos)

Jesus, won't you fucking whistle
something but the past and done? ( Religion is simply control- and has been etched in us to hinder our thoughts- to give us anwers so that we do not ask questions-and he's tired of being molded in this unrealistic, unfair human image.)

Why can't we not be sober?
I just want to start this over. ( He wants a clean slate- He would rather abosorb the beauty which we are most blind to see and alow his emotions and instincts to play the role in which they were created to play, and not be guided like sheep on the basis of entertainment an consumption, in which we all are to comfortable accepting as a good life.

Why can't we drink forever.
I just want to start things over. ( I guess this means we all in a way crave escape from our own minds captivitey, things like drugs and boose help us to slip out of our protective shells and live a little more freely, if only briefly.)

I am just a worthless liar. (Dosent know what the truth is, how can he be honest with himself)

I am just an imbecile.( Blind to the real world around him- inserted beliefs and feelings over consuming his ambitions.)

I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you.
I will chew it up and leave,
I will work to elevate you
just enough to bring you down. ( These false beliefs will only work you up, never actually leaving you fulfilled- if you buy into the bullshit you are fed you will choke on it, it will leave you empty.)

Trust me.

Mother Mary won't you whisper
something but what's past and done.

Trust me.

I want what I want. ( Trust yourself your true self- and give in to feeling and life-what your really want).

Peace.