PDA

View Full Version : fight club and eulogy

morgoth's shadow
08-17-2004, 01:40 PM
(if you haven't seen fight club,i suggest you do not read this,as it will spoil the ending completely)

this song could be construed as a sort of internal dialogue by edward norton's character,with the deceased martyr he speaks of being his alter-ego,tyler durden.i know this is impossible,cause the film was released like three years after the album,but if you listen to the song with that movie in mind it definitely fits."he had a lot of nothing to say" is basically jack(not the character's real name,just a provisional one) acknowledging that tyler did inspire him at some point and that all his ambitions and plans for revolution were important to him at first,but he doesn't care about that anymore,or it could also mean that it wasn't really tyler that was saying all these things because he didn't really exist,so it's like he had nothing to say,it was jack saying it the whole time,and they(the members of project mayhem et al)are gonna miss him because he was such an amazing leader.and of course all the "would you die for me?" stuff suits the ending nicely and with tyler's philosophy about self-sacrifice and such for the greater good of humanity.i would do a line-by-line analysis of the song to support this interpretation,but i think you get the idea,just listen to it while thinking about the story and it'll make plenty of sense.

lachrymoIogy
08-23-2004, 09:33 AM
I think you just like three things too much. Tool, Fight Club and weed. You smoked some weed, watched fight club, and thought "Hey, Tyler is kinda like...that song eulogy"...

I'd rather hear the stupid fucking jesus synopsis of the song, i meen they do say martyr, and cross in it so I can understand where morons would pull that from...

>_> smoke as much as you can handle...leave it at that.

morgoth's shadow
08-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I think you just like three things too much. Tool, Fight Club and weed. You smoked some weed, watched fight club, and thought "Hey, Tyler is kinda like...that song eulogy"...

god damn it,why do people always think i'm a pothead????seriously,i've never so much as SEEN pot up close in my entire life.anyway,i was just pointing out that it's applicable to that film's story(which,by the way,i don't even own,i've just rented it a couple times),i know the song obviously wasn't inspired by it because the film came out three or four years AFTER aenima.again,i DON'T smoke weed.

Th1_rhs13
08-24-2004, 01:29 AM
god damn it,why do people always think i'm a pothead????seriously,i've never so much as SEEN pot up close in my entire life.anyway,i was just pointing out that it's applicable to that film's story(which,by the way,i don't even own,i've just rented it a couple times),i know the song obviously wasn't inspired by it because the film came out three or four years AFTER aenima.again,i DON'T smoke weed.

Quite possibly becuase of your vast ineptitude. The simple fact and horrible attempt to draw parralels to a great work from Tool, to that inane piece of trash film is why, we have no other reasonable outcome.. With that said, i would just like to ask you to send all your tool cd's to me, asap.

morgoth's shadow
08-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Quite possibly becuase of your vast ineptitude. The simple fact and horrible attempt to draw parralels to a great work from Tool, to that inane piece of trash film is why, we have no other reasonable outcome.. With that said, i would just like to ask you to send all your tool cd's to me, asap.

fuck you,sir.

Belial_Omega
08-25-2004, 09:34 PM
im not supporting this theory of yours at all, but fight club(great movie) was a book before it was made into a film years later.

the_holy_filament
08-26-2004, 03:57 AM
(if you haven't seen fight club,i suggest you do not read this,as it will spoil the ending completely)

this song could be construed as a sort of internal dialogue by edward norton's character,with the deceased martyr he speaks of being his alter-ego,tyler durden.i know this is impossible,cause the film was released like three years after the album,but if you listen to the song with that movie in mind it definitely fits."he had a lot of nothing to say" is basically jack(not the character's real name,just a provisional one) acknowledging that tyler did inspire him at some point and that all his ambitions and plans for revolution were important to him at first,but he doesn't care about that anymore,or it could also mean that it wasn't really tyler that was saying all these things because he didn't really exist,so it's like he had nothing to say,it was jack saying it the whole time,and they(the members of project mayhem et al)are gonna miss him because he was such an amazing leader.and of course all the "would you die for me?" stuff suits the ending nicely and with tyler's philosophy about self-sacrifice and such for the greater good of humanity.i would do a line-by-line analysis of the song to support this interpretation,but i think you get the idea,just listen to it while thinking about the story and it'll make plenty of sense.
I see what you're saying, and just so you know, there was a book before the movie, so there is a possibility of this. I feel you have explained, fairly well, your reason for drawing the parallels in the song. Nice to see a new interpretation around here.

You're an ignorant piece of shit, who generalizes and tried to make assumptions of people, probably because you could'nt think of something original yourself(though I havent searched your profile for threads yet). Good job, moron.

I'd rather hear the stupid fucking jesus synopsis of the song, i meen they do say martyr, and cross in it so I can understand where morons would pull that from...
You say this as if you know exactly what the song is about, please, enlighten us and tell us what Maynard was thinking when he wrote this song. I'm curious to hear from you, especially with the name "lachrymology". This should be good...

>_> smoke as much as you can handle...leave it at that.
Shut the fuck up.

Quite possibly becuase of your vast ineptitude.
This comming from someone who started off a sentence with the words "Quite possibly".

The simple fact and horrible attempt to draw parralels to a great work from Tool, to that inane piece of trash film is why, we have no other reasonable outcome.. With that said, i would just like to ask you to send all your tool cd's to me, asap.
First of all, if you think this movie is a piece of trash, that is your opinion. I felt he drew the parallels rather well. Maybe you can dissect his theory for us and show us where exactly he's "wrong"

hailthemaggots
10-18-2004, 03:22 AM
one - fight club is a classic film
two - eulogy is a classic song
three - both should not be merged in this fucked up way....stop smoking pot

Raev'n
10-18-2004, 02:13 PM
one - fight club is a classic film
two - eulogy is a classic song
three - both should not be merged in this fucked up way....stop smoking pot

Hear hear. Stick with the Jesus thing. It's almost as dumb but makes more sense. As for me. Why would Maynard write a song about Jesus? If you want to hear songs about Jesus just tun into a christian radio station.

Or listen to Creed

Beautiful Unique Snowflake
10-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Im not one of the "super enlightened souls" that usually post on the meanings of songs, nor am I one to judge whether or not an individual's interpretation of a song is correct or incorrect. I know what I feel, Morgoth knows what he feels, let's let it lie and stop being fuckin' nay-sayers about everything.

Just an idea.

And Fight Club is a great movie

Jayar
01-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Fuck the movie, the book is alot better.

Raev'n
02-02-2005, 05:24 PM
They always are. Except for Harry Potter. Who watches or reads that?

lysegicevolution
02-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Fuck the movie, the book is alot better.

actaully i thought the movie was a pretty damn good representation of the book....
and so did chuck palaniuk the writer of fight club.........he's actually been quoted as saying that the movie put his book to shame...........food for thought slaves..............

ARMZ
02-03-2005, 06:37 AM
His name is Robert Paulson

Jayar
02-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Slaves? Funny.

Raev'n
02-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Most slaves are lucky to get food jusr for thinking. Usually they have to scrabble in the dirt or something of the kind.

Wouldn't you think?

Naga Royal Guard
02-11-2005, 08:10 PM
did somebody say Creed?

i dont think ive ever heard them before, and im assured thats a good thing

waffel
06-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Sounds plausable to me.

bentTOOL23
06-11-2005, 06:41 PM
i havent been here in a long time (i had a different name then) but i literally jus watched fight club before comin down on this website (neither i've seen in like a couple weeks) but, yeah, i agree fully with this..

eulogy always felt schizophriinic to me and i think fight club has the same schizo message to it. (figuring out which voice in your head to believe) I gave up a while ago tryin to figure out what the songs really mean (from Maynards mind) but this song has been one about my past self from my present perspective, tellin it to die for me and stuff...helps deal with change i wanna make. but the past becomes a voice i used to be and shit...can't explain it that good but hopefully someone out there'll get it.

peace (smoke weed everyday)

lachrymoIogy
02-05-2006, 06:38 AM
i havent been here in a long time (i had a different name then) but i literally jus watched fight club before comin down on this website (neither i've seen in like a couple weeks) but, yeah, i agree fully with this..

eulogy always felt schizophriinic to me and i think fight club has the same schizo message to it. (figuring out which voice in your head to believe) I gave up a while ago tryin to figure out what the songs really mean (from Maynards mind) but this song has been one about my past self from my present perspective, tellin it to die for me and stuff...helps deal with change i wanna make. but the past becomes a voice i used to be and shit...can't explain it that good but hopefully someone out there'll get it.

peace (smoke weed everyday)I don't even know why I came back to this. Bill Hicks.... renouncing everything he said on his death bed. That's what Eulogy is about. Maybe I'm just smoking weed, I dunno. Seems logical. Jesus? Wtf..?

snakeeyedhawk
02-23-2006, 10:44 AM
I refuse to believe that the two are somehow connected.