PDA

View Full Version : "As Below, So Above" In reference to the following

zacharyv
08-17-2004, 01:14 AM
I've read some mention of the Emerald Tablet and Hermes Mercurius Trimegistus in reference to the quote "as above, so below."
Let it also be known that French occultist named Eliphas Levi expanded on this idea in several of his books. Here it is:

"There is only one dogma in Magic, and it is this: The visible is the manifestation of the invisible, or in other terms, the perfect word, in things appreciable and visible, bears and exact proportion to the things which are inappreciable by our senses and unseen by our eyes. The Magus raises one hand towards heaven and points down with the other to [E]arth, saying: 'Above, immensity: Below, immensity still! Immensity equals immensity.'-This is true in things seen, as in things unseen."

This is quoted from Eliphas Levi's Transcendental Magic. It is in reference to the "Third Law" of magic; "The law of corresondence." According to Chic Cicero and Sandra Tabatha Cicero's book "The Essential Golden Dawn: An Introduction to High Magic," the law of correspondence is based on older medieval theories concerning the "magical virtues" of different substances. It states further that everything in the "Greater Universe" has a corresponding part in the "Lesser Universe."
"Man, the Microcosm, is a smaller reflection and extension of the Greater Universe, the Macrocosm. To effect a change in one is to effect a change in the other."
"As above, so below" is most often a reference to the relationship between the ego and that universal consciousness that we all tap into. It implies that there is a direct connection between the micro (single man) and macro (Universe in it's entirety).

ALSO, the "Law of Correspondences" recognizes that some things have a connection to different energies through vibration, character or COLOR.

There is a lot more to all this. It's all related back to High Magic and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.
I recommend "The Essential Golden Dawn: An Introduction to High Magic" if you're interested in learning more.
I noticed the similarities between this song and these 3 Laws after I began reading this book, and to me the similarities between the two are undeniable. To me, it means that spending all this time thinking and interpreting life in a cold, cerebral, scientific way drags us away from the truth; that we are indeed spiritual beings. We all began within the pool of spirits, resting at God's feet. Our bodies are cups retaining our souls, our anchor into this physical reality (micro). Somewhere within us lies the circular opening that leads us back to that pool of universal consciousness (macro). Keep your body busy with exercise, meditation, and masturbation (or sex, if you have someone). But always be aware that there is more to "life" than touch, smell, sight, hearing and the other one. lol.
Thanks for reading this long rant.
-zach-

Thrakandor
08-17-2004, 02:33 AM
I've read some mention of the Emerald Tablet and Hermes Mercurius Trimegistus in reference to the quote "as above, so below."
Let it also be known that French occultist named Eliphas Levi expanded on this idea in several of his books. Here it is:

"There is only one dogma in Magic, and it is this: The visible is the manifestation of the invisible, or in other terms, the perfect word, in things appreciable and visible, bears and exact proportion to the things which are inappreciable by our senses and unseen by our eyes. The Magus raises one hand towards heaven and points down with the other to [E]arth, saying: 'Above, immensity: Below, immensity still! Immensity equals immensity.'-This is true in things seen, as in things unseen."

This is quoted from Eliphas Levi's Transcendental Magic. It is in reference to the "Third Law" of magic; "The law of corresondence." According to Chic Cicero and Sandra Tabatha Cicero's book "The Essential Golden Dawn: An Introduction to High Magic," the law of correspondence is based on older medieval theories concerning the "magical virtues" of different substances. It states further that everything in the "Greater Universe" has a corresponding part in the "Lesser Universe."
"Man, the Microcosm, is a smaller reflection and extension of the Greater Universe, the Macrocosm. To effect a change in one is to effect a change in the other."
"As above, so below" is most often a reference to the relationship between the ego and that universal consciousness that we all tap into. It implies that there is a direct connection between the micro (single man) and macro (Universe in it's entirety).

ALSO, the "Law of Correspondences" recognizes that some things have a connection to different energies through vibration, character or COLOR.

There is a lot more to all this. It's all related back to High Magic and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.
I recommend "The Essential Golden Dawn: An Introduction to High Magic" if you're interested in learning more.
I noticed the similarities between this song and these 3 Laws after I began reading this book, and to me the similarities between the two are undeniable. To me, it means that spending all this time thinking and interpreting life in a cold, cerebral, scientific way drags us away from the truth; that we are indeed spiritual beings. We all began within the pool of spirits, resting at God's feet. Our bodies are cups retaining our souls, our anchor into this physical reality (micro). Somewhere within us lies the circular opening that leads us back to that pool of universal consciousness (macro). Keep your body busy with exercise, meditation, and masturbation (or sex, if you have someone). But always be aware that there is more to "life" than touch, smell, sight, hearing and the other one. lol.
Thanks for reading this long rant.
-zach-
Your coherence is appreciated. I'm starting to see more talk of magick on this boards that is understandable by the magickal n00b, such as myself, and as a skeptic, this pleases me.

Circe
08-17-2004, 05:19 AM
Impressive first post. Welcome to the boards.

Also, I agree with you completely and I'm glad to see discussion like this.

zacharyv
08-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. My brain usually starts firing on all synapses in the wee hours. So I'll probably mostly be posting my most ummm... "insightful" stuff, if you will, after midnight. hehe.

And Thrakandor, if you'd like to learn some more about High Magic, I really do recommend that book on the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. After I began reading it, I realized how much my own thoughts paralleled those millenia-old theories. They just put different names on them. It's really some fascinating stuff. I do enjoy a bit of occult reading.
Anyway, there you have it. Thanks.
-zach-

Beholder
02-04-2005, 08:53 PM
The greek philosopher Heraclites gave us something that is often translated thus:
"The way up is the way down" or "The way up and the way down are one and the same" It is like a koan. It is a paradox until you allow your mind to be broken and expanded to a place in where it makes sense. References to teh same idea can also be found in TS Eliot's poem, The Four Quartets.

Cyanide ChrYst
02-04-2005, 11:10 PM
God DAMN. This thread is the all-time winner.

FOUR FUCKING WORDS and you douchebags are writing fucking novels.

rand()%0
02-05-2005, 03:41 PM
err, this being a more active thread than my other post, can anybody confirm or deny whether anybody has noticed before that the 9-8-7 spiral does in fact continue through 6-5-4-3 etc?
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=24480

Cyanide ChrYst
02-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh shit, tool should get an air force too. Then we could just start bombing countries.

paraflux
02-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Hey, Zach, this is CyanideChryst, our resident "guy who is in a pretty bad APC/Tool cover band." He is too bitter to really say anything important, for some reason.

paraflux
02-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Hey, Zach, this is CyanideChryst, our resident "guy who is in a pretty bad APC/Tool cover band." He is too bitter to really say anything important, for some reason.