PDA

View Full Version : Favourite line(s) in the song

Dorepoll
01-21-2003, 05:50 PM
I mean that song is so freakin powerful but evreything written has its own effect and seems to be very... strong,

So yea what is evreyone's favourite line in the song?

Mine is

-=There is no love in fear=-

I PACIFY HER
01-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
But it will end no other way.

now that shows the most disturbing look at the situation the narrator is in.

AnemicRoyalty
01-24-2003, 10:18 AM
"bang my head on the faultline" is the most creative, that's brilliant way of subtly talking about sex, but my favorite line is "Saw that gap again today", because it can represent so many things to different situtuations. I think of it as something's missing in your life or something just isn't right. when you go to sleep you try and forget all about the bad things in your life, but when you wake and are fully conscious it's still going to be there and everyday you'll see that gap until you do whatever it is you have to do to make yourself complete again

drum_dood
01-24-2003, 10:30 AM
the most impactful part of this song is when mjk says "i must persuade you another way!" and that note just stands you on end! at least that's the way it makes me feel. i also like the part on the live version on the last time mjk says "it will end no other way!" and goes to the higher note! that part is cool if you're just baked out of your gourd and you're listening to tool.

flipmojo
01-24-2003, 10:51 AM
"you better take enough to make me enter, if I do we both may disappear."

Throughout the chaos of the relationship, he still maintains insight enough to be watchful of the exchanges taking place.

I find myself seeing this stuff happen right before my eyes and knowing that its gonna change everything about the people involved. When it gets really negative, and no one cares, you can watch people sink into the turmoil and either cut away or go down as well.

chafro
01-24-2003, 12:05 PM
mine would have to be definitly "Remember i will always love you, even as i tear your fucking throat away"

its the pure truth and its in your face

Aeturnus
01-26-2003, 12:12 AM
A true song starts in its first words.

"You'll have to make me choke until I swallow. Choke this infant here before me."

Very profound, although this is a song of many good quotes.

pushit_kirsty
01-26-2003, 06:09 PM
its not so much the wording that i love in this song, but the way it is spoken, nd complimented by the music.
But my favourite part is simply
"but your pushing and shoving me. You still love me and you pushit it on me"
Maynards voice just sounds like he is on the verge of breaking, and the music just reinforces the pain of it all. It makes me feel like i am in his position... Pushit is so well done, Tool communicate with their audience so well, that the line gets a little blurred sometimes.

C20H25N3O
01-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Mine would definetly have to be:
"I'm alive when you're touching me, alive when you're shoving me down, But I'd trade it all for just a little piece of mind"

Digital Dreamer
01-28-2003, 12:12 PM
My favorite used to be:
"Remember i'll always love you,
as I claw your fucking throat away."

But now it's:
"If when I say I might fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way."

Johnny Truant
01-28-2003, 05:59 PM
I really like the "What is this but my reflection? Who am I to judge or strike you down?" It really reminds me that I should go around saying that something has no value, because everything has beauty in it somewhere.

thirdeye013
01-30-2003, 06:29 PM
"If when I say I might fade like a sigh if I stay,

no doubt the greatest lyrics in any tool songs. just listen to the way that mjk hold that "way" part. unbelievable

piajartist
02-06-2003, 11:02 PM
There is no love in fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holy reality
02-07-2003, 09:29 PM
for the sheer aweomeness of it, i like "I must persuade you another WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" it is just such an amazing note, it blows my mind sometimes.... it kidn of dissapoints me on the salival how he does it so short and lets the sustainer hold it out longer, but it's still great nonetheless....

I'd have to say my favorite line for the meaning of it is "i'm alive when you're touching me, alive when you're shoving me down"

Sora
02-09-2003, 07:11 PM
"Staring down the hole again. Hands are on my back again. Survival is my only friend. I'm terrified of what may come. Remember I'll always love you, as I claw your fucking throat away."
There seems to be a big conflict in these lines. At first he seems to be the victim with his hands on his back and what not, and then it completely flips with him threatening something else. Unless it's meant to be from two different people.

dawn
02-13-2003, 09:43 PM
i have to agree that the way maynard sings ..."i must pursuade you another wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"...is unparalleled in pitch: however, my favorite line would have to be:

..."recalling all of the times ,i have died,iwill die, i don't mind"...

warren
02-17-2003, 11:45 PM
"Staring down the hole again. Hands are on my back again"

when i hear this or read this i see me staring down the hole which is the toilet when i want to throw up and isnt it funny that a friend will sometimes be there to put there hands on your back, to comfort.
the hands on your back are the closest people to you they there when the shit hits the fan!!!!

Nirvana
02-18-2003, 01:41 AM
well i will put it in a top 3...

1. Just remember I will always love you,

2. Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear.

3. But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.

i know its not 1 line... but yeah... this are my fave parts...

lil_kitty
02-18-2003, 04:07 AM
"when i hear this or read this i see me staring down the hole which is the toilet when i want to throw up and isnt it funny that a friend will sometimes be there to put there hands on your back, to comfort."

That is hilarious! I never thought about it that way before but I know exactly what you mean. tho sometimes I'd rather puke in solitude....
hmmm.. my favorite line in the song would have to be " when I say I might fade like a sigh if I stay, you minimize my movement anyway..."

Merkaba
02-28-2003, 08:01 PM
my favorite line isnt because of the lyrics. i just think that the lyrics between 11:55 and 12:10 are the best because its just pure emotion "and you as well, my dear. if when i say i may fade like a sigh if i stay" its perfect. the way maynard sings it and the way the music itself is giving of raw emotion makes it to me the most beautiful part of this song. and possibly, the most beautiful part of any song tool has done. close to prison sex and stinkfist.

jmstoryteller
02-28-2003, 08:09 PM
"I will choke until i swallow, choke this infant here before me"

This song strike my heart where I face the angst of on one hand facing all problems of a relationship, no matter how trivial and damaging ; and on the other hand is the defeat you admit when you hide from a problem.

A relationship is an infant, a tender, pure, fragile, helpless thing. i t is what it is, and it is very easily destroyed...

abhorring love
03-02-2003, 09:50 AM
"take care not to make me enter. if i do we both may dissapear"

"remember i will always love you, even as i tear your fucking throat away"

just amazing

Sphase
03-02-2003, 10:50 AM
"You minimize my movement anyway."

Smokin joe
03-03-2003, 09:05 AM
haha, it's fuckin hard to choose a line from this song. All are SOOO good. I really think that both versions are absolutely excellent and amazing to listen to. With their excellent lyrics.

"Rest your trigger on my finger"

"If when I say I may fade like a sigh if i stay"

And it's not really just one line, but I love the section where the guy starts to rationalize, "What is this but my reflection", "who am I to judge or strike you down."

powerful stuff

joe

adbirdnas
03-04-2003, 06:47 PM
For me it def has to be

Put me somewhere I don't wanna be.
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see.
Never wanna see that place again.

i don't know why, but these lines always strike me in a way no other lines do.

Killer Of God
03-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by grrrl

When they did this song live on the last tour they cut the sound just as "I Don't Mind" came to, and you could hear the entire crowd sing " I Dont Mind, I Dont Mind, I Dont MIIIIIIIIIIIIND. It had to of been the most beautiful thing i have ever, or will ever hear. Jebus was defenitely crying that night.

pryedopen
03-07-2003, 01:33 AM
If when I say I might fade like a sigh if I stay,

It's all about the way maynard holds the Stay... oh yeah that shit's nice, especially in the studio version...if ya doubt me give it another listen...please

I must say though that another favorite is...
"But I'd trade it all for just a little, piece of mind"

Keep writing fellow fans, you're a good droup to be heard by...

Jerk off
03-08-2003, 07:23 AM
If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
I must persuade you another way.

There's no love in fear.

Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come.

But it will end no other way."

~ok, I know it's the Last half of the song, but it really makes me have my memories. I love these lines. They made me connect to the song emotionally.

"I'm alive when you're touching me, alive when you're shoving me down, But I'd trade it all for just a little piece of mind"
~ this one i like because I really feel alive when I'm around that someone, but afterwards I really feel used.~

"recalling all of the times, i have died, I will die, i don't mind"

~this is just so powerful, I don't mind that you're killing me along as you are around. That's so Fucking profound.

But I'll end with how the fuck can you not love this entire song?

choking
03-15-2003, 01:13 PM
There's no love in fear.

-Just a reminder of a relationship with someone-

canable friends
03-20-2003, 06:28 PM
"Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear.
But your pushin and shovin me.
push it on me."

This is actually 2 parts, or paragraphs but when you read them as one it sounds like it's saying that your pushing me twords death, and you want us to die, though it also highly sapports my theory that it's about drugs.

By the way I belive that pushit is tool's greatest peice of art Danny Carry does such a great job!!!

FlamingEye
03-21-2003, 01:37 PM
YOU STILL LOVE ME YOU STILL LOVE ME PUSHIT ON ME PUSHIT ON ME

the blue man
03-24-2003, 02:18 AM
at 9.54 on salival, it goes into the instrumental. this part starts a spark in my stomach, almost like vomit, but at 11.04 it hits my head and explodes into a big well of emotion.
now that i'm officially a dorkus suprimus for noting all that, lets leave with the subject:
choke this infant here before me
what is it but my reflection
who am i to judge of strike you down.
Blue Man.

take it all in
03-31-2003, 05:24 PM
"i'm alive when you're touching me, alive when you're shoving me down."

glyphed
04-01-2003, 11:56 AM
I like the Salvial version of Pushit much more than the Aenima version.. it just seems to have more emotion to it, and it gives me goosebumps every time.

"Slipping back into.... the gap again... I feel alive when you touch me... I feel alive when you hold me.. down."

Synethesia
04-03-2003, 09:28 PM
"Im in love with you touching me, In love with you shoving me down. But I'd trade it all for just a little piece of mind."

To me that says it right there. I'm pretty sure this is Maynard's way of saying "love is pain." Sometimes the comfort of some one else can feel so good but they drive you mad. Sometimes no matter how much you try to love someone they keep pushing you away. It's amazing poetry. It's not flowery language or anything, just eloquent and sung with a beautiful phrase. This song just breaks me to pieces. And then the resolution "I must persuade you another waaaaaay" I just fall apart every time.

munkyman
04-08-2003, 11:02 AM
My favorite I think is the beginning

"I will choke until I swallow
choke this infant here before me
what are you by my reflection
who am I do judge or strike you down?"

it's an amazing way to say what he wants... Maynard has quite a way with words... by far the best love song I've ever heard

cainecrawford
04-23-2003, 06:50 PM
This song is about and AGE old score. Somethings never die sad to say.

paciifist
05-06-2003, 02:15 PM
'if when i say i might fade like a sigh if i stay'

i think this line really gets across how insignificant the person in the song feels.I just think a sigh fading is a beautiful simile.

passenger#44213
05-07-2003, 12:28 AM

I love this line to bits, the way maynard sings it....
I've always imagined what it would sound like without the music(this line) like stop the music then he yells it.
I think it would work

Pierre-Paul
05-07-2003, 05:25 PM
"But I'd trade it all. For just a little. Peace of Mind!"

Hawk
05-19-2003, 09:14 PM
"staring down that hole again, hands are on my back again, survival is my only friend, and i'm terrified of what may come"

i think this is the pivotal line of the song, it sums up the mood of the piece beautifully. it's in keeping with maynard's "comfortable but vunerable" speech on the salival version. he then sings that he'll "always love you" even as he tears the throat out of who/what he is singing about. the paradox of this song to me is so typical of tool because that's the way humans are, love/hate black/white, the yin and yan philosophy. it's one of the things i adore about tool, they're a band that at first seem so alien but are really so very very human.

twistedinsanity
05-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Pushed you away my dear
and..
Theres no love in fear

Since i heard Pushit the day my relationship really ended, I think these lines sum up what I did to him and myself.

Marius
05-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Remember i will always love you
If i claw your fucking throat away
It will end no other way
It will end no other way

I love the way he sings that part, especially the last "way", on the Salival version.

newmoon2112
08-31-2003, 09:03 PM
I like the line ...slipping back into the gap again,I'm in love with you touching me,etc.Not sure the correct lyrics.Anyway,while Maynard is holding that long note on "way",you can hear his stool move in the studio he was probably leaning or sitting on,listen!

newmoon2112
08-31-2003, 09:04 PM
I like the line ...slipping back into the gap again,I'm in love with you touching me,etc.Not sure the correct lyrics.Anyway,while Maynard is holding that long note on "way",you can hear his stool move in the studio he was probably leaning or sitting on,listen!
...persuade you another way...listen for the stool,use headphones

adrian870621345
09-01-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm alive when you're touching me, alive when you're shoving me down, But I'd trade it all for just a little piece of mind... but the part of Pushit on me, pushit on me... its fucking great too...

supersonic2006
09-07-2003, 04:12 PM
my favorite lines musically would be in the beginning during the weird music "saw the gap again today, while you were beggin' me to stay, take care not to make me enter, if i do we both may dissappear"
and during the slower quieter part: "i am somewhere i don't wanna be... push me somewhere i don't wanna be.... Put me somewhere I don't wanna be... seeing some place I don't wanna see... never wanna see that place again..."
and also musically AND lyrically: "I must persuade you another WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyy.......!"

incredible song, incredible lyrics, and an incredible meaning, doesn't matter who you are or what you think, the meaning's gonna be just as incredible.

SurvivalIsMyOnlyFriend
09-29-2003, 08:21 PM
i'd have to say my favorite line from that song is when he sings "Im staring down the hole again, my hands are on my back again, SURVIVAL IS MY ONLY FRIEND, im terrified of what may come. Remember I'll always love you, as I claw your fucking throat away. - they have so much power. Maynards lyrics are so amazing.

dissonance51765
09-29-2003, 08:34 PM
My favorite lyric is definately "There's no love in fear." I really agree with that and I like to use that point against religious people who think is good to be "God-fearing." Seriously, if you have to fear God, he is not worthy of worship. Fear-based following is what dictators and tyrants get.

RXQueen
10-13-2003, 09:16 AM
There are so many but I will choose "If when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay"

AllforUnity
10-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Yes...l will have to choose that as well...

"And if l say l will fade like a sigh if l stay
You minimize my movement anyway
l must persuade you another way...

There's no love in fear."

Luna Galapogos
10-14-2003, 10:33 PM
My favorite lyric is definately "There's no love in fear." I really agree with that and I like to use that point against religious people who think is good to be "God-fearing." Seriously, if you have to fear God, he is not worthy of worship. Fear-based following is what dictators and tyrants get.

I agree that the line "There's no love in fear" is a wonderful line, but I disagree with your stance on God-fearing. It doesn't mean that you should cower before Him. It means more or less that you realize that he has the power, not that he will force it upon you, you have the freedom of choice. To realize and accept that he has the power is what God-fearing means. Tyrants and dictators force themselves upon their servants/serfs.

All of the lines in this song are my favorite, there is no possible way to choose between them. This song is my favorite TOOL song. No other song ever can compare.

Kapoo
08-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Pushit is, like just a few other songs(4 deegrees-tool, eulogy-tool, the irresponsible hate anthem-Marilyn Manson and the spooky kids, Prison sex-tool) a quote in itself. while it may be a exorbitantly long quote, it's hard top separate any part from another. but I've always like the "If when I say I might fade like a sigh if I stay", myself I always seem to find myself rewinding the song to the "never wanna see that place again" line to take that section in again.

newmoon2112
08-17-2004, 04:13 PM
i have to agree that the way maynard sings ..."i must pursuade you another wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"...is unparalleled in pitch: however, my favorite line would have to be:

That is H,not Pushit,but great lines none- the -less.

newmoon2112
08-17-2004, 04:17 PM
When they did this song live on the last tour they cut the sound just as "I Don't Mind" came to, and you could hear the entire crowd sing " I Dont Mind, I Dont Mind, I Dont MIIIIIIIIIIIIND. It had to of been the most beautiful thing i have ever, or will ever hear. Jebus was defenitely crying that night.
H, my friend,H.We are discussing Pushit.Great song though.

newmoon2112
08-17-2004, 04:19 PM
If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
I must persuade you another way.

There's no love in fear.

Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come.

But it will end no other way."

~ok, I know it's the Last half of the song, but it really makes me have my memories. I love these lines. They made me connect to the song emotionally.

~ this one i like because I really feel alive when I'm around that someone, but afterwards I really feel used.~

"recalling all of the times, i have died, I will die, i don't mind"

~this is just so powerful, I don't mind that you're killing me along as you are around. That's so Fucking profound.

But I'll end with how the fuck can you not love this entire song?

newmoon2112
08-17-2004, 04:22 PM
I read lyrics to H a few times on this post.To all the people saying the best line is "I don't mind",that is H,not Pushit.Thank you!

LP|Stang
08-18-2004, 10:29 AM
I read lyrics to H a few times on this post.To all the people saying the best line is "I don't mind",that is H,not Pushit.Thank you!

Shut up.

layersbeyondimagination
09-19-2004, 12:40 PM
theres no love in fear.