PDA

View Full Version : Euology is about...

Kapoo
08-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Euology Is in fact about jesus, but it isnt mocking him, Its' talking of how no one really pays attention to what he says, and always put words in his mouth. It really shows in the last section, but can be seen throughout the entire song. in the first verse they talk about how no one really appreciates his efforts, "well then so long." It can also be about mussolini, stalin, and the like, at which point it is mocking.

paraflux
08-13-2004, 07:11 AM
This is the most over-analyzed and regurgitated Tool song ever.

Ertai
08-13-2004, 09:30 AM
its about maynard not jesus......

well at least to me its about maynard

Morbid_Angel
08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Why do u think its about maynard? just curious...

mjbed
08-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Always thought it was about cobain etc prob wrong.

lachrymoIogy
08-23-2004, 09:03 AM
The song is about Bill Hicks. It's not really hard to figure this out, this happens to be one of their songs that doesn't require a deep-analysis of it's meening. I'll quote some of the song, and thinking about BIll...whom else could this be about? (Especially fucking Jesus...cmon)

"He had alot to say.
He had alot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him.

So long.
We wish you well.
You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long.
Don't cry.
Or feel too down.
Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried."

So loud.
You sure could yell.
You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud.

"Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me."

I don't think Jesus had a habit of raising his voice, and certainly wouldn't possese a fecade, that he was so eager to identify with. Bill made jokes about smoking, and pointed that his fear was coming back in three years, and doing comedy through a trache(sp?). this songs not shrouded in mystery...it's a pretty simple deduction.

lachrymoIogy
08-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Amen.

Venomous voice
10-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Hicks died for him?? The simplicity is obviousley what confused me

Triangular_Vision
10-11-2004, 07:42 AM
well i agree it is about jesus... but more directed to the people that use their "knowledge" of jesus to control others. The third party priests that confine people into organized cells of belief. He isn't really saying fuck jesus. hes saying fuck you for telling me what to think. ya know "who am i to judge or strike you down" And why label something that cannot be labeled?

Kapoo
12-26-2004, 06:59 AM
well i agree it is about jesus... but more directed to the people that use their "knowledge" of jesus to control others. The third party priests that confine people into organized cells of belief. He isn't really saying fuck jesus. hes saying fuck you for telling me what to think. ya know "who am i to judge or strike you down" And why label something that cannot be labeled?

I almost agree. except one who has true knowledge of jesus would never, in their right mind, use it in a manner that isn't good. I think people who control with jesus in mind have a certain level of anti-knowledge about him. For, instance I'm not saying that I know this for sure 'cause the hippie died 2000 years in the past, but from all I've heard of this jesus fella {whose real name was jeshua, by the way} I sincerely doubt he really gave a fuck about homosexuality being wrong.

Hogpile
01-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Euology Is in fact about jesus.

It's also about Kurt Cobain, Maynard himself, Bill Gates, Henry Rollins, L. Ron Hubbard, Paul D'Amour, and Volcano records.

paraflux
01-23-2005, 07:42 PM
And my ass, after I ate strawberry honeycombs. It had a lot to say about that.

IC
01-24-2005, 05:18 PM
It's also about Kurt Cobain, Maynard himself, Bill Gates, Henry Rollins, L. Ron Hubbard, Paul D'Amour, and Volcano records.
and you and dirty sanchez if im remembering correctly

jbp703
01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
All's I know is that I like the song

peace out

Hogpile
01-25-2005, 07:04 AM
and you and dirty sanchez if im remembering correctly

What do you mean? I forget.

paraflux
01-26-2005, 10:40 AM
He means you and Sandoz.

Hogpile
01-26-2005, 11:08 AM
He means you and Sandoz. Referring to the embarrasing thread that one who shall remain nameless started, saying that you were actually Danny Carey and not a guy from cali who is into cattle feed production.

Ah yes, now I get it. The fact that anyone would think I'm Danny Carey is fucking hilarious to me.

Mesiah?
03-03-2005, 04:53 AM
its about maynard not jesus......

well at least to me its about maynard

I was just listning to that a couple of days ago and I just realized that

i put up a post to see what people think about it

tommorow
03-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I don't think it's about Jesus. I can see Maynard, but IMO that's kinda stretching it a little.

In my opinion it's targeted at those who are outspoken with their opinions, but aren't willing to act on what they say. It's an ego trip for the person, trying to "see divinity," or be bigger than Jesus, to quote Lennon. Jesus stands as what this guy wants to be, but he's a fake, unwilling to die for what he's willing to rant about. Maynard is confronting him and saying "you wanna be like Jesus? You gotta die." But the guy isn't willing to ("you claimed all this time that you would die for me//why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy?" Kinda Malcolm Xish in a way...

"If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary." - X

Not nessecarily freedom here, but it's the same basic concept; be willing to die for what you believe in. The target of the song isn't though.

Reminds me of a few people I know, actually.

UtUmNo1
03-04-2005, 09:18 PM
The song is about Bill Hicks.

Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried."

Why was Bill Hicks a martyr?

tommorow
03-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Wasn't Eulogy written while Paul was still part of the band?

G13. Wait, Paul's not listed in the liner notes!

True. Surprising, considering he was with them when they wrote "Pushit," "Stinkfist," "Eulogy," and "Ænema." (Paul's omission makes me feel better that I wasn't listed either... hehe.)

Latitudinarian
03-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Why was Bill Hicks a martyr?
Why was he not?

downward_spiral
03-11-2005, 09:40 PM
I think it's about cobain,all that he had,all that he did for music and how much off a fool he was to throw it away.

paraflux
03-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Why it has to be about someone in particular I will never understand.

Hogpile
03-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Why it has to be about someone in particular I will never understand.

paraflux, stop trying to ruin everyone's fun, and pick who the fucking the song is about. You damn hippies and your open interpretations.

UtUmNo1
03-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Why was Cobain a martyr? What cause did he die for? Music? You're shittin me....

PseudoSX
03-21-2005, 11:19 AM
It's been said, but I'm pretty sure this is, indeed, about Hicks. I know Eulogy seems negative, but it's not. It's a true Eulogy worthy of Hicks, it's an angry Eulogy, a cry out of desperation, really. Hicks was a controversial man and deserved a controversial Eulogy. And considering he often made jokes about dying from various cancers, it was rather ironic that he did.

lachrymoIogy
02-05-2006, 06:46 AM
It is negative. Hicks took back everything he said whle he was on his death bed. Wouldn't you be upset of your messiah said that everything he said was a lie, to make money off of you? pokechristianspoke... :)

bluefire
02-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Its about anal sex. All of tool's songs are about anal sex.

ArizonaBay
02-06-2006, 07:20 PM
"It is negative. Hicks took back everything he said whle he was on his death bed. Wouldn't you be upset of your messiah said that everything he said was a lie, to make money off of you?"
Is that true? Wasnt mentioned in the biography ive got, but then i suppose it wouldnt be would it.

snakeeyedhawk
02-23-2006, 09:54 AM
I wish people would stop saying things like they know everything about Tool and their songs. "It's about Bill Hicks. It's about Kurt Cobain." Yada-yada-fuckin'-yada. You don't know that for sure. No one knows anything about the song's subject for sure. To me it's about Jesus. To someone else it's about Bill Hicks. Whatever. It doesn't matter. Different folks, different strokes.

Hogpile
02-23-2006, 10:10 AM
I wish people would stop saying things like they know everything about Tool and their songs. "It's about Bill Hicks. It's about Kurt Cobain." Yada-yada-fuckin'-yada. You don't know that for sure. No one knows anything about the song's subject for sure. To me it's about Jesus. To someone else it's about Bill Hicks. Whatever. It doesn't matter. Different folks, different strokes.

Well man, you are on a Opinion forum. So, to let people giving their opinions on an opinion forum annoy you is pretty pointless, and kind of stupid.

It does matter. That's one of the best things about Tool in my eyes. Everybody thinks everything they say, do, or sing about means something different. Some take it all at surface value for the most part, and some analyze the shit out of it. That's what makes this forum thrive. Go to Toolshed.down.net and read what the disclaimer for this forum says. Which is:

In these forums, you will find fans' observations about Tool songs, videos, and more. They may be "wrong" (not what Tool intended), but this section is not about "what it means" -- it is about "what it means to me."

snakeeyedhawk
02-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Well man, you are on a Opinion forum. So, to let people giving their opinions on an opinion forum annoy you is pretty pointless, and kind of stupid.

It does matter. That's one of the best things about Tool in my eyes. Everybody thinks everything they say, do, or sing about means something different. Some take it all at surface value for the most part, and some analyze the shit out of it. That's what makes this forum thrive. Go to Toolshed.down.net and read what the disclaimer for this forum says. Which is:

No, you've read me wrong. I'm not annoyed with the opinions. I've come here to GIVE my opinions. And I'm not annoyed about the analyzation. I spend a good amount of time analyzing songs myself.

I'm annoyed when people act like 'I have the right answer, you're wrong, etc. etc.' That just pisses me off.

Sorry if I haven't been very clear.

Hogpile
02-23-2006, 10:22 AM
No, you've read me wrong. I'm not annoyed with the opinions. I've come here to GIVE my opinions. And I'm not annoyed about the analyzation. I spend a good amount of time analyzing songs myself.

I'm annoyed when people act like 'I have the right answer, you're wrong, etc. etc.' That just pisses me off.

Sorry if I haven't been very clear.

Oh ok, I got you. Most people on here are pretty civil man, but prepare yourself for a healthy dose of that self righteousness that annoys you. Heh.

Welcome to TDN man, by the way. Hope you enjoy yourself, look forward to reading some of your opinions in the future. Need any help with the forum regulations, rules, or just general shit, the mods are really cool(usually) about helping you out, so just ask em. Or ask most folks in general, most will be glad to help.

snakeeyedhawk
02-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Oh ok, I got you. Most people on here are pretty civil man, but prepare yourself for a healthy dose of that self righteousness that annoys you. Heh.

Welcome to TDN man, by the way. Hope you enjoy yourself, look forward to reading some of your opinions in the future. Need any help with the forum regulations, rules, or just general shit, the mods are really cool(usually) about helping you out, so just ask em. Or ask most folks in general, most will be glad to help.

Thanks a lot. Glad to be here. :)