PDA

View Full Version : A little Taoism to start your day

Ahnijson_films
01-21-2003, 11:00 AM
A Life of Flow; one of the most beautiful things and one of the rarest. A human life like a mountain stream. It's easy to talk about flowing with the big Changer and about harmony, but the truth is, it's easy to get stuck in a pattern where we expect things to conform to us too much.

To be ready, poised; to sit as though ready to stand; to move as if ready to change direction. To turn off the automatic pilot, open your eyes and to be alive.

Moving lightly and easily with life while remaining deep and silent inwardly is to live a life of Flow. It's the natural way to go, the mountain stream way of doing things, and it's really practice in action.

— Maverick Sutras
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Height of Heaven, the Thickness of Earth

The body of heaven is extremely high. Open, round, immeasurable, it is boundlessly vast. Covering everything, containing everything, it produces myriad beings without presuming on its virtue, it bestows blessings on myriad beings without expectation of reward. Whether people are respectful or insincere, supportive or antagonistic, is left up to them. Whether people are good or bad, attractive or repulsive, and whether creatures are violent and stubborn or docile and obedient, they are allowed to be so of themselves, without any contrivance.

The earth is very thick. Lowly, below all else, it bears everything and nurtures all beings. It can bear even the weight of the great mountains, and it can endure even the erosive force of great waters. It tolerates being pierced by plants and trees, and it submits to the tread of bird and beasts.

I realize through this observation the Tao of emulating heaven and earth. If people can be open-minded and magnanimous, be receptive to all, take pity on the old and poor, assist those in peril and rescue those in trouble, give of themselves without seeking reward, never bear grudges, look upon others and self impartially, and realize all as one, then people can be companions of heaven.

If people can be flexible and yielding, humble, with self-control, entirely free of agitation, cleared of all volatility, not angered by criticism, ignoring insult, docilely accepting hardships, illnesses, and natural disasters, utterly without anxiety or resentment when faced with danger or adversity, then people can be companions of earth.

With the nobility of heaven and the humility of earth, one can merge with the attributes of heaven and earth and extends to eternity with them.

- From Awakening to the Tao by Lui I-Ming; translated by Thomas Cleary (1988)

UnderADeadOHSky
01-22-2003, 05:21 AM
your thread is very positive and i am interested to read more by this man. where could i find more work by him? keep posting, never stop expressing yourself.

aeternus0
01-23-2003, 08:15 PM
He who bends to himself a joy,
Does the winged Life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it flies,
Lives in Eternity's sunrise.

~Willaim Blake

Thought that would be appropriate. It is nice to hear another speak of Taoism, an incredible way of thinking that has profoundly influenced my own life.

That flow you speak of, the way of life ... it is so easy to forget, to get caught up in everything else, with one foot in the future and one in the past. This moment is too often overlooked, a crime I am guilty of almost constantly.

It's hard. Hard to remember and hard to forget, if that makes any sense. Thanks for posting :)

UnderADeadOHSky
01-24-2003, 05:31 AM
would either of you give me a source to read more about taoism? i have heard of it and would like to know where is a good place to start learning about it. if you could give a book or other source i would be appreciative. thank you.

aeternus0
01-24-2003, 08:19 AM
Well, right away, I would recommend two books.

The first is the Tao Te Ching, written by Lao Tzu over 2000 years ago. It can be considered to be the Taoist 'Bible' or central text (traditionally, Lao Tzu was the founder of Taoism). Unlike the Bible, however, this book won't take you two years to read - only about an hour. Also, there are somewhere around 80 english translations of it, so it shouldn't be hard to find. I suggest the translation by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English.

There are also numerous books written about Taoism by various contemporary authors - as with all things, some are good, some are bad. The best one I've found is called The Religions of Man by Huston Smith. Although only a single chapter is devoted to Taoism, it is possibly the best introduction you will find anywhere.

Finally, if you want to use the internet to find information (usually a terrible idea), be sure to check this site out:

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/taoism/ttcstan1.htm

It is basically another translation of the Tao Te Ching, this one by Stan Rosenthal, which also includes a rather long introduction containing some important points. Let me warn you that there are very few Taoist internet sites that do Taoism justice - many of them outright butcher the concepts and beauty behind this philosophy.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer. Enjoy!