PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Speech (and how it I've seen it apply to this song)

ExTReMe FrEAk
08-06-2004, 07:34 AM
I am new to this forum... Thank you.

First I will fill you guys in a little bit on what reverse speech is (unless you already know). It's a relatively new study on natural speaking patterns. When we speak to each other, we also talk backwards. If you record a discussion you are having with someone, and then play it backwards, you will hear your subconscious mind speaking to you. It’s usually in metaphors.

For example: I recorded myself talking about my ex girlfriend, I then played it backwards. I had could hear myself saying “I am not a sheep” in many different section. Now this metaphor isn’t that hard to figure out. It simply means I am not a follower.

Now, the strange thing about reverse speech would be that whatever is said in the reversal always deals with what is being said forward. Back to my example, in the forward message of the reversals, I had been expressing the fact that I had known what would happen when I walked into my relationship. However, I did not follow myself with that feeling. Now the metaphor means, I did not follow myself, which to me changes the whole meaning.

Reversals occur in music a lot, most of which are not intentional, at least not consciously. If you would like to learn more about reverse speech, the visit the discoverer of reverse speech’s site, Reverse Speech (http://www.reversespeech.com).

I played this particular song backwards because of the fiery emotion in the song.

Here is what I found; I will list the approximate time of the reversal, and what I heard. The times are recorded starting from the back of the song. Therefore 0:00 would be the end of the song, and 4:56 would be the beginning of the song.

2:50 "Satan I, see your face"
2:58 "losing my lips... help"
3:15 "I am a slave to you"
3:45 "I lose my lips... help"
3:50 "I lose my lips... help
4:04 "I lose myself oh, impressed with his mastery"
4:08 "I'm gonna stop taking my ?homshiu?"
4:12 "Mm incredible voices, I will stop..."
4:17 "If I thought that this, remind me of a narcissistic."

4:04-4:17 all run together as one

Though I heard Satan in there, it does not mean Satan. Remember, according to John Oates’ research, it is a metaphor.

I will write out what the metaphor may mean according to John Oates’ RS Metaphor dictionary.

SATAN (Structural) see Lucifer - Satan is the fallen version; spiritual longing and loneliness; torment, lost and wandering; intense emotions; anger, temper; electric vibes; strong almost unshakeable destructive behavior patterns; a person running a Satan metaphor can easily destroy anyone with a few, quick words or a few strong looks. Trance image; a large powerful figure of the stereotypical Satan character; red with horns and a tail.

The rest is for us all to figure out. As a matter of fact, the whole thing is for us to figure out on our own.

I know I am new, so please be nice to me. This is only what I heard, and my own findings, and in no way reflects the views of anyone else.

Divine_left
08-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Neat, and kind of fun to ponder. You say it's subliminal, which is refreshing. I can't stand people who accuse bands of 'backmasking'...which is a rather ridiculous practice.

The fact that reverse speech is unintentional makes in interesting to me...I'm going to check this out a little further.

Welcome to TDN, get rid of your avatar.

ExTReMe FrEAk
08-06-2004, 11:16 AM
The funniest thing about people ragging on about backward masking is that they don’t know what they are talking about.

Backward masking deals with visual items and short term memory.

Lets say there is a film strip with just a black screen on it. You are watching the black screen, and then, briefly, you see this:

AB.CD.E
FG.H.I.J
KL.MN.O
PQ.R ST
UVWX.Y

Then following that you see this:
(X=solid white boxes)

XX XX
X X X
XXX X
XX X
XXXXX

You would only remember the letter in the gaps of the boxes.
So the subliminal message just traveled *gasp* backwards in time.

What they mean to refer to is Phonetic Reversals, or the even more popular Engineered Phonetic Reversals. They use the term backward masking to sound smart, but in turn, it makes them sound dumb.

I plan to listen to more Tool songs in reverse to try and spot any more RS messages in them.

forth eye
08-07-2004, 05:51 AM
thats interesting. i will now go through my collection reversing all of the songs and listening to them so give me a few days. as divine said its good that they did not purposely make it say all those things backwards cos ye it sucks basically. thanks for the link extreme freak ill check that out and we were all new once and i still am so welcome and ill try to be nice to u :) lol. that backwards masking thing is cool and i didnt know bout that. thanks.

EDIT: uurrgghh my spelling is awfull.

Morbid_Angel
08-18-2004, 06:28 PM
I think thats interesting aswell:) I'll be nice to you too because I am still new I have not posted much on hereyet. But I also research about backward masking I think its so fascinating :)

hailthemaggots
10-21-2004, 01:52 AM
if none of these backwards things are intentional, then surely they are just coincidence?

ExTReMe FrEAk
10-21-2004, 02:17 AM
if none of these backwards things are intentional, then surely they are just coincidence?
Look at the links I put up with the first post. Reverse Speech has been studied for about 20 years so far, surely that site will be more informative than myself.

ExTReMe FrEAk
10-21-2004, 02:38 AM
***DISCLAIMER***
By clicking on the link below you agree that you own a copy of this song and that myself and the server the song is on are not responsible for any legal issues. You also agree that you are half hampster, your skin is purple, and you have six eyes, two of them being placed on your butt cheeks. You agree that you do not work for or represent any form of government official or authority. If you do not meet any of these requirements, you are not legally allowed to click on the link posted below, there by commiting a crime by viewing such materials. This makes any legal action against myself and the server the file is on null and void in a court of law.

This is the song Prison Sex played backwards (http://webserver.neotekpc.com/~andrew/files/reversals/tool/prisonsex.mp3)
This is a revised text file mapping the times and reversals (http://webserver.neotekpc.com/~andrew/files/reversals/tool/prisonsex.txt)