PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Meaning

TheHollowMan
01-20-2003, 10:15 AM
I think the undertow might refer to the pull of psychological detachment and the desire to go to a deep state of mind where you are unaffected and emotionally unattached to the troubles of the world. I've always had this anology of swimming underwater when it comes to the experiance of seeing the world as an observer and not as a participator. Think of laying on the bottom of a pool in that silent underwater world and looking at the surface. you are powerless to do anything about your environment (weak and numb and insignificant) It's a comforting mindset to be in because you feel empty and unaffected by anything It is also incredibly profound becuse without any outside influences you can be you and empty yourself of all the shit that the world fills you up with. So to sum it up I think the undertow is your true self calling you to go swimming in your own personality and take a third person view of things
but, the drug comparison still applies, it may just be a simpler reference for the same type of experience that people can more relate to

feedback?

extentions
03-23-2003, 11:47 AM
I enjoyed your opinion very much. I can certainly relate to the water imagery. It is a very comfortable place to be, but I'm afraid of being comfortable. I'm afraid of what my obsessions and addictions will do to me if I give them a chance, which I interpret the song saying to me.

I know that the world fills you up with shit. The question is how do you find a place where you can't see or feel that shit. As if it didn't exist.....I guess the key is to let go, the right way, whatever that is.

To me the best place is in a woman's arms and p*$%^.

And then 4 degrees comes pounding in.

thirdilied
03-28-2003, 11:15 AM
I liked your view of the song/meaning, it may very well be relating to an addiction, of what who knows, many things can burden a man inside from drugs, to family, to love life, to world surroundings, in a deeper perspective, I see it as all of it, things you cant let go of, things that are swallowing you, making you believe you are lost in the water below, finding it hard to swallow, to breathe, to cope in other words.

IC
04-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Actually, I have another spin on the song. I convinsed my teacher to interpret it in my class, and I think that it is a love song. This may be all romantic and such or whatever, but He is pulled back by a woman he cant shrug off. No matter what, he keeps comming back. On his knees...read through it and you'll see what I mean

ThreeDeviations
04-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Hollow- neat perspective on the song-

Extensions- 4 degrees comes soothing in next, not "pounding."

As for the song Undertow... I just wanted to add one thing, when people think he says "sat-ur-ating me!"
He actually says.... "Shut-up... SENSE-YOUR-ENEMY."

"Enemy" = own mental weakness = own self. Meaning, he's his own worst enemy.

Euphoric vices.
Euphoric beckoning...
Guilty Euphoria.

cradled
04-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by ThreeDeviations
As for the song Undertow... I just wanted to add one thing, when people think he says "sat-ur-ating me!"
He actually says.... "Shut-up... SENSE-YOUR-ENEMY."

That's speculatory at best. If you can find a source, then I'd be more likely to believe you. (other than the song itself)

I like HollowMan's opinion. I think the song reflects (to a certain point) how we're afraid of change, even though sometimes it's necessary and is actually the best thing for us. The best thing to do at those times is to just jump head first into the water.

ThreeDeviations
04-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Listen to the words closely... it's not blind "speculation."

Similar to prison sex when he says "close enough so I can DROWN you" the 2nd time through that verse.

The source? Ears. Brain.

If you can't hear it, then yes, you can consider it speculation for your sake.

According to my ears, it's not subjective.
Another source? There is no other source needed other than the song. (It's the only credible one there is-)

Sense Your Enemy