PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think this song is unnecessary?

DeleteYourself
11-20-2002, 04:06 AM
i personally don't...i love parabol....i think its the perfect intro and lead in to Parabola....Parabola wouldnt be the same without it. But a friend of mine thinks that its just filler....that Parabola would be more intense and more powerful if it werent for Parabol. i totally disagreed with him. Parabol is the perfect lead up to the powerful song that Parabola is. without it, Parabola would just sound odd...with its loud and sudden start.

john
11-20-2002, 10:19 PM
everyone is allowed their opinion, of course, but....

i cant imagine parabola without parabol. well, i can, but it would blow. (note: a tool song blowing is still better than almost every other band, ever)

parabol is essential to parabola, and honestly i would suggest your friend goes back and listens again and again until he figures out the importance of that "filler" song.

just my thoughts.

-john

Schwarze Katz
11-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by DeleteYourself
Parabola would be more intense and more powerful if it werent for Parabol.

I think most of us would agree that Parabola is celebratory. The sound and feel of it is jubilant. Parabol introduces just what we're celebrating. Sure you could get it just listening to Parabola, and bang your head around to the hard music. But when you have the gentle, melodic introduction, it makes the celebration more complete.

Fresh from last night's Phoenix show, I can tell you from experience it's better with the introdutory Parabol first. When Tool came through last year, we heard Parabola alone. It stands well on it's own, but together, they dance ecstatically.

Tywi
11-21-2002, 12:52 PM
I agree, i see Parabol and Parabola as one and the same piece and I never even considered the latter being without the former. It's a complete matter of opinion, as a friend of mine who doesn't understand subtlety on any level also claimed that the introduction was 'shit' and nothing but 2.30 of silence. He only likes heavy metal music, and isn't prepared to search for anything other than heavy riffs and shouting in the music he hears. These things always have their places, but they need variety to compliment them too.

ragna16
11-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Parabola is a celebration of strength, and the parabol shows us the moment when we are 'wide eyed and hopeful' of what is to come.

Misoanthropos
11-28-2002, 01:47 AM
its not a song...tracks 6 and 7 are a song together...

alone they are simply...a part of a song

hateandvaseline
11-28-2002, 01:55 PM
I just think of it as one song, it seems more significant that way. I also think that Parabol is a shorter, softer 'version' of Parabola. Parabol isn't in an American dictionary either. The word is shorter than 'parabola'. So is the song.

KILLIAN
11-28-2002, 03:27 PM
I think "Parabol" sets us up for whats about to happen in "Parabola", sure it might be more intense without "parabol", but you would also miss out on the leadup story. You wouldn't know about the expectation leading up to the happy moments in "Parabola" which would leave you unsure of what to make of the entire song. Sure people are entitled to their opinions but i think "Parabol" is essential to make "Parabola" what it is. And also the way these two different songs blend together to make one also fits in well with the theme of "Parabol/a"

ninetynine
11-28-2002, 06:43 PM
I've always felt one of my favorite things about tool songs is the journey. Your favorite part of the song could be the last verse but if someone started the song right before the last verse it's not as enjoyable as listening to the whole experience. Parabol and parabola are a perfect example of this.

Jerk off
11-30-2002, 09:35 PM
I also consider them one song, two separate parts but one song. Also, I think of this song as kind of a "love song"< and I use that term loosely.> It's more about loosing yourself in a moment, but if you take the love theme and run with it you find that I takes 2 people to love. They are both separate and fine on there own but put them together and you have something 10000x better than when they are apart. That also can be applied to these two "songs" thats just my opinion and i could be wrong. ;)

MW

Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is that it is vibrating, and since all vibrations are theoretically sound. Then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such

Misoanthropos
12-01-2002, 11:18 PM
the technical musical term is...."movement".... ooooh aaah

16 Degrees
12-02-2002, 02:05 PM
Not only is Parbol a great song, it shows how well tool knows there music. The way the clmax of Parbol fades into the heaviness of Parbola. It sets a mood. The whole album has a mood to it, Parbol makes you rest for a while than it throws you write back into Parbola. It's like a rollercoaster it starts off fast than it calms down in the middle to let you catch your breat. But as soon as you catch it slams you write back into the ride Parbol fading into Parbola...Actually it isnt really a fade its a buildup to a kick ass song.

mjkane14
12-02-2002, 10:35 PM
Listening to these two songs together as one gives me more inspiration than I can even try to explain. When I listen to Parabol and Parabola one after another my mind begins to go on a journey. The journey begins during Parabol where I view myself sitting quitly, thinking about whatever I am about ready to do. The last second of Parabol and the first few seconds of Parabola are the best transitition from one song to another I have ever heard. I imagine myself suddenly getting up during these few seconds and getting the energy to do whatever I want to do. Finally during Parabola I feel myself being able to put forward all the energy I have to be able to do whatever I would like. First songs I listen to everyday.

gulroth
12-30-2002, 11:24 AM
I also think that Parabol is necessary. As an english major... I compare everything to writing. When you write (music, essays, stories... anything), an introduction is usually a good thing. It introduces the reader/listener to the topic. And, since this this is such an "unusual" topic for tool to be writing about (love, internal contentment...), I think that the longer intro works very well.

Note that the world "Parabol" is also a play off of the word "Parable," as in a story that is supposed to teach something. Something that shows a religious or moral principle or set of principles. Parables can also seem like a dream, much like this song or true love or anything else of that nature can.

I think that the "part of Parabola" idea that was posted earlier also holds some solid ground, but there is always more than one meaning. Especially with Tool.

"Don't stop a'rockin..."
~ Gulroth, aka Dave

stalkingbutler
04-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Its all one piece of music really,i think this is a stunning intro and the difference from going to peace to fucking hard riffs in a manner of seconds is startling,and without this song we would never hear maynard sing "all this pain is an illusion" and haer him hold the note,my favourite part of the album.

Matter Specter
04-20-2003, 07:04 PM
i allways saw parabol as the suffering part before the conquoring listen to the lyrics .. all this pain is an illusion ..then paabola kicks in and hes strong again ..