PDA

View Full Version : try this for a visual perspective

Lackymacky
07-27-2004, 11:08 AM
i did this once, and it was really cool...this is for those who take the music as an experience. when listening to parabol have it be pitch dark and your eyes close or open, either way, just get adjusted to the dark. then as soon as parabola hits, turn on the lights...it was really cool.

and at night listen to the whole cd in the dark, it adds depth

a little weird, but i just always got visual read when i listen to tool, maybe just me.

post if you tried it, or if you think its a waste of time

^_^

gottagetaway
07-27-2004, 01:26 PM
No, its not a waste of time. for a wee while i came back from drunken nights out and listened to the cd till i dropped off. ha

i have tried schism sober in the dark, its fun because in the daytime theres more external noises too, but at night theres nothing else but that buzz in my ear :S.

gottagetaway
07-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Also i think lots of people will have listened to the album in the dark, to add more mystery to the tool sound. Personally think its great. some nights i dont want to go to sleep without listening to some tool, theyre grip on me. ha. but as for now my f'in cd player aint reading so i aint happy.

As for ur Parabola experience. It must of been an enlightening one, bet ur eyes were sore when u switched the light on with the contrast on dark to bright light.

Lackymacky
07-27-2004, 02:15 PM
As for ur Parabola experience. It must of been an enlightening one, bet ur eyes were sore when u switched the light on with the contrast on dark to bright light.

no not really, it was just really cool....and you know what else was weird, i was singing along, oh and i forgot to mention i did this all with headphones blasted all the way because you hear everything a lot closer, and this only happened once. i was singing along and for like a split second while the lights were off and my eyes were closed it felt as if i was singing...it was VERY weird, and no i wasnt high :)..................anyone know what im talking about?

gottagetaway
07-28-2004, 10:52 AM
The last song on lateralus is very scary in the dark.

Lackymacky
07-28-2004, 11:11 AM
mantra is too

thundergod
07-28-2004, 03:16 PM
i did this once, and it was really cool...this is for those who take the music as an experience. when listening to parabol have it be pitch dark and your eyes close or open, either way, just get adjusted to the dark. then as soon as parabola hits, turn on the lights...it was really cool.

and at night listen to the whole cd in the dark, it adds depth

a little weird, but i just always got visual read when i listen to tool, maybe just me.

post if you tried it, or if you think its a waste of time

^_^

when im going to sleep, i can sometimes keep myself awake just above the sleep level and when im listening to tool during that time, i get the windows media player visual thingy going and it changes and pulsates with the beat, very cool but i can't do it during the day

Lackymacky
07-28-2004, 06:26 PM
my windows media player isnt working, i want to try that, and my winamp's video thing is being GHettooooo =(

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
If you want the ULTIMATE tool experience, try this. Get about 12 candles, make 4 groups, 3 candles in each group (dont need specific amounts, but its just what we did), and place one group at North, South, East and West (this proly doesnt make a difference, but its just what we decided to try, lol), hit the lights, start some incence, and prepare to TRIP THE FUK OUT. Me and my mate tried this a week ago, and it was absolutely fukin insane. All the candles wicks lean towards you, no matter how flattned, or what direction they are in when you light them, EVERY SINGLE CANDLE WICK faces you, some even go in spiral shapes and then by the end of the CD they have unspiralled themselves, you see faces in the flames, eys etc. It is a must do experience, seriously, we tripped out bad, lol. Give it a go.

Oh yeh, listen to the CD no stop, dont skip songs or anything, just hit play and listen.

or take some shrooms

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
07-28-2004, 08:52 PM
You could do that, but when this kinda shit happens and you are still in your normal frame of mind (in a way, hehe), it is crazy, lol. Think about it, that kinda stuff happens without the use of sumthing like shrooms, thats pretty insane if you ask me.

yeah i know i was just being a smart ass lol
ok so hang you guys jsut went in a room did all that with the candells, played all of lateralus and stared at the candells and all that happened? i wanna try that lol is there anything i have to make sure of to make it work or anything?

Lackymacky
07-28-2004, 11:23 PM
yeah im curious too, is it that easy? did you close your eyes? did you talk, chant?

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
07-29-2004, 04:46 PM
bump

Lackymacky
07-29-2004, 09:16 PM
thanks

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
07-30-2004, 01:43 PM
awsome

thundergod
08-08-2004, 10:32 PM
sometimes crazy shit happens when you are about to fall asleep its really cool i suggest someone try it you start seein shit and noticing weird sounds like in H.

-=}krufka{=-
10-19-2004, 06:09 AM
yeah, when u are about to fall asleep you hear more, and notice more details, I love this feeling when music seems different. The only problem is that it's kind of hard to keep yourself awake :P And talking about parabola... I almost always keep my eyes closed during Parabol and open them when parabola comes, I see that I'm not the only one ;)

TheHolyGift
10-21-2004, 08:18 PM
I always listen to Lateralus at night. And Thirteenth Step. They just sound so much better at night, when I'm lying flat on my back, at peace, relaxed, but also attentive. Oh my God is that an amzing experience.

The last song on lateralus is very scary in the dark.

I know what your talkin about. Sadly, I can't stand to listen to this song in the dark anymore.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-22-2004, 08:24 AM
I dont ever listen to it, ever.

Holy Gift, did you change your picture of your mouth??!

Lackymacky
10-22-2004, 03:33 PM
does anyone ever get creeped when that EEEEEEH sound comes between parabol and parabola?

i dont know why, and i know its coming each time, but when i listen to it in the dark with my eyes closed and that part comes on...something about it is just freaky. the part where parabola ends and parabola begins....its so freaky for some reason, when its loud and its PITCH DARK.

try and tell me if anyone else just gets weirded out

Triangular_Vision
10-25-2004, 06:12 PM
my windows media player isnt working, i want to try that, and my winamp's video thing is being GHettooooo =(

download "Milkdrop" vislualization plugin from thw winamp site. It is the BEST visualization i have ever seen. Very very quick responses to beats real time and runs high resolutions with much less processor load than most for some reason. Tons of scenes too.

The second best is R4

IcaLynn
08-28-2006, 08:48 AM
lol, nah. We didnt try do anything, we just thought it might be cool to listen to with candles going, and just thought that putting them at the 4 points of direction couldnt hurt, hehe. eres exactly what we did:

Put a group of 3 candels at North, South East and West.
Lit the candels starting with east, then west, the south, then lastly north.
I read somewhere that you shouldnt use matches, use a lighter, dunno why, but hey, lighters easier anyway.
Then we just lit the incence before we started the cd, sat back, pressed play, and just stared at the candles for ages, closed our eyes aswell, whatever we felt like doing, lol. We didnt try do anything, we just sat down and listned.
At some stage you actualy feel like each candel is another person sitting and listening to tool, its weird, lol.

The best thing i could recommend, is just open up your mind, dont think about whole good of a band they are, dont think about what the candels look like, just listen and let your mind go, thats why it might be easier to close ur eyes so ur not distracted by other things. And also, dont expect extreme out of body type visions. But you do get them, and the feeling you get from the atmosphere is just insane, so yeh, giv it a go, and just be open to anything, dont try and see things, dont hope for anything to happen, just let it happen. And we listned to the whole CD, except that last weird track, we dont normally listen to it, sorta ruins the 'musical' experience of what we just listned to. Good luck, hope sumthing happens, we havent tried it since that first time, so we dont even know if its gonna happen every time or what, just have to see.

anyone try doing this with 10.000days? seems like lateralus would be to well-known by now. i know that im the 1st to respond since 04, but ...someone may reply.

The Tower That Ate People
08-28-2006, 12:05 PM
I think people should whatever they please in order to open up their minds, to bring in love and compassion for the world - as long as they don't hurt anyone by doing it.

oh, sorry, let me get to the point.

Haven't tried any of the above mentioned suggestions. They sound cool I think. So one day when I have the time and opertunity I will give it a go. I have had succesful listening "sessions" when smoking hash or skunk. Marihjuana I wont suggest. Don't wanna have a laughing trip while trying to concentrate on Tool.

Before anyone begins to tell me I'm a loser for smoking hash (on rare occasions I might add), let me clarify that I am not a dopehead. I get tired watching people trashing people in here, I hope you agree on me. :)

May peace be with you...

IcaLynn
09-14-2006, 09:02 AM
I think people should whatever they please in order to open up their minds, to bring in love and compassion for the world - as long as they don't hurt anyone by doing it.

Before anyone begins to tell me I'm a loser for smoking hash (on rare occasions I might add), let me clarify that I am not a dopehead. I get tired watching people trashing people in here, I hope you agree on me. :)

May peace be with you...

people seem to like hating each other here. which is weird because this is a place for tool fans to come together and share ideas. here in plant city, im about the only person who has ever heard tool. this is sad.

justfar1086
09-14-2006, 09:09 AM
take a long drive, at night, and play aenima or lateralus from begining to end, both have different effects but are amazing to do that with, i cant say i can do it so much with 10,000 days, i can skip tracks easily based on what i prefer to listen to, with lateralus or aenima i always feel like i missed out if i skip to a later track, so i just let the albums play on loop in my car

IcaLynn
09-16-2006, 12:30 PM
take a long drive, at night, and play aenima or lateralus from begining to end, both have different effects but are amazing to do that with, i cant say i can do it so much with 10,000 days, i can skip tracks easily based on what i prefer to listen to, with lateralus or aenima i always feel like i missed out if i skip to a later track, so i just let the albums play on loop in my car

ooh, thats fun. i do that with lateralus, but i cant with aenima, i dont like euolgy or message to harry manback.

Loki of Inferno
10-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Allegory of a Cave reference...

10-21-2006, 07:19 PM
When you guys discuss holy concepts surrounding these songs and I'm listening to Lateralus in the dark I feel a force from behind me. It's incredible, and for some reason the Parabola/Schism musical parallel at the end freaked me out when I first discovered it haha.