PDA

View Full Version : Well, I think at the least....

John Holland
07-26-2004, 10:36 PM
The figure told of in Tool's "Eulogy" is NOT Jesus Christ. Here I make my case :

One must first analyze previous and present lyrical forrays into the topic of Christianity from Maynard, not just Tool but A Perfect Circle as well.

In "Opiate", Maynard has prefaced live versions of this song with "Ever heard of Buddha? Jesus? Krishna? all these guys had good ideas, but we've got agents running around trying to make a buck off them. This song is about those agents."
This song actually mentions Jesus in the lyrics. So does "Sober", but of course this can be interpreted, at the most, as faith failing the believer to relieve oneself of strive and affliction, if we are to interpret the song on faith-based premises. "Judith" also mentioned Christ, but Maynard had established that "When I mean, 'fuck your god', I don't mean THE God".

And also, Maynard strikes me as far too intelligent to simply resort to a "Fuck you!" attitude regarding the life of Jesus. Especially after being pegged, inappropriately, after two albums (Opiate and Undertow ) as being one of Christ's detractors within the rock arena. Not to say he would cave into any kind of pressure ( he certainly has'nt ), but he is'nt one to incessantly and needlessly repeat himself.

"He had a lot of nothing to say" would imply that Jesus's philosophy ( as much as we can argue that love for your fellow man was not a new idea ) , from Maynard's point of view was completely empty. Which, given Maynard's intelligence, I'm sure he's equipped to arrive at a better opinion.

I can't say who the song is actually about. Danney Carey said in one interview it was about L. Ron Hubbard, but this may be as true as Adam Jones saying Tool is about lachrymology ( and we all know that's a prank ).

I'm new to the TDN message board, so if this point of view has been expressed previously, then give me my requisite tounge lashing. I hope it was fruitful.

Glass Onion
07-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Welcome and read:

http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=2700

John Holland
07-29-2004, 12:54 AM
hmmmmm.....

I still hold to my thesis that Eulogy is about people with messianic complexes who ultimately fail to deliver on their claims of deitiship, and were unaware the whole time during their masquerade that there were those who did not take them seriously.

Yes, Jesus could have run off with Mary Magdalene, or he could have essentially martyred himself to "see divinity"... but both instances are historical accounts written on paper, and just because Jesus going to France is a much easier pill to swallow than the New Testament's depiction of a resurrected saviour does not make it a more plausible scenario ( or maybe it does.... ).

Metaphor could play a bigger role in this particular song than some Tool listeners asign it, as Maynard did grow up in a baptist church, and I can tell you, having grown up in a pentecostal church, the inculcated notion of the cross representing mortal deification will probably never leave. And the cross will always evoke an irrevocably powerful image in Maynard's mind, I am sure, and what lyricist could resist such powerful yet common imagery?

Then again.....Aenema, being the seemingly definitive Psychology rock album, "Eulogy" could very well be the anonymous asseveration of the 'heretical' conviction of the psyche formerly distraught by occidental theology, having found very good reason at one time or another to leave the bounds of Christianity.

Interpreting Tool lyrics could very well be a college ellective course if the right strings were pulled in the education system.

forth eye
08-06-2004, 09:59 AM
i also don't think it is about jesus but is using phrases that imply that it is refering to him. Tool are too intelligent to simply make it about jesus and make it a 'fuck you' type song as John Holand said. However, it could be referring to jesus and other people or as JH also said, about the 'agents' so people connected to him. i dunno, just my thoughts