PDA

View Full Version : About the lyrics

Abstract
07-24-2004, 02:07 AM
The lyrics for "Lateralus" (the album, that is) are pretty different from the ones in Tool's precedent albums. From "Opiate" to "Aenima" lyrics are filled with profanity and graphic violence, in "Lateralus" they got more poetic and philosophical: in your opinion, why such a radical change?

Cyanide ChrYst
07-24-2004, 09:44 PM
The musicians evolved either as they themselves evolved in character or music itself evolved (though I doubt the latter would make much difference to TOOL).

Maynard wrote the lyrics after the songs were completed. I cant imagine he'd write stuff like "fuck your god" to Disposition, so.

Queerest of the Queer
07-25-2004, 09:01 AM
I can't imagine Tool's lyrics bringing up similar themes over and over again. It's a radical change because they are exploring a lot of different themes and sounds.

I'll have to agree with this opinion......

pushing the envelope
07-25-2004, 05:59 PM
i attribute the change in lyrics to the fact that they probably wanted lateralus to have a bit more of an uplifting message to show the world how we can change. In AEnima, they address that there is a problem and that we need to change, as for Lateralus, its going throughout the process of getting in touch with your spirit and changing, most notably in D/R/T.

Queerest of the Queer
07-25-2004, 11:21 PM
i attribute the change in lyrics to the fact that they probably wanted lateralus to have a bit more of an uplifting message to show the world how we can change. In AEnima, they address that there is a problem and that we need to change, as for Lateralus, its going throughout the process of getting in touch with your spirit and changing, most notably in D/R/T.

aww thats so sweet....and well thought out, but i doubt it is true. Maynard isnt uplifting.

Cyanide ChrYst
07-26-2004, 05:31 PM
That was the dumbest shit I ever heard in my life. Maynard himself even quotes theres "A lot of light at the end of the tunnel (in tool's music). You have to purge yourself through the muck to get there."

Dont talk like you're old pals with Maynard. Jesus christ.

MindAsh
08-02-2004, 12:14 PM
its about letting go of something that pisses you off or scares you so you can help to balance yourself out. im not exactly sure on this aspect but also saturn acending is mentioned and i know once every couple years of my life i go through a "schizophrenic" frenzy trying to figure out what the visions i get internally are other than what jung called a collective subconcious. all in all i believe TOOL to be "modern shaman's" they do the music for themselves first and foremost because ti helps them with life possibly and also to understand themselves and once that is achieved they can move on to more personal matters with a better understanding of how to help the ones close to them but hell this is all just George theory as my associates would call it and its my own so filter out what you do not yet need from this message look past the words and find a true meaning or just call me crazy, makes no difference <wink> believe in nothing but your conciousness and question everything "Ash aka George coggins"