PDA

View Full Version : nascency vs. mortality

Sacred_Nipple
01-18-2003, 11:06 PM
I haven't read through all of the posts, so forgive me if this has been stated already.

Throughout the song, Maynard suggests to me that he is speaking of how he is being born. Maybe not him, but humans in general, like the spawning of a new species. I believe that he speaks of how we will forever search for the meaning to our existance, and we will never find it.

Also, as I read through the lyrics, it tells me that it is describing the birth of a child. I will give a synopsis of each verse on what it means to me:

Verse 1: A child in womb as it is pushed out of it's hole where it has so selfishly been feeding off it's mother for nine months. The child realizes that it can't fight to stay in it's residence, and gives up it's fighting efforts, thinking how the new world may be better, yet it may be meaningless. ("It's calling me"-the voice of mother nature calling the child into the world?)

Verse2: The child is exiting the mother, as it looks around, it realizes the difference. The light around him is not what he is used to, the glare reflecting off of his blood covered body. Without our mothers strength, we are all but beings that will never live, but constantly dream. Now that the child is born, it is amazed at the discovery of his own body, realizing what wonders we, humans, have been blessed by nature with, but he must get rid of this ego, before he can begin to support himself, and before he dies from his lack of comprehension.

Verse3: Get rid of the ego, before you are removed from this world which is so selfish and ignorant. All humans are synchronized as a species. We all posses the same basic instincts, and what other people think, should never matter to anyone.

That's my synopsis...
If you have anything to add, or find something that is just stupid... I'm open to reasoning.