PDA

View Full Version : Ever notice Maynard lies about the lyrics

once
07-21-2004, 11:34 AM
In jimmy (as well as a ton of other songs) Maynard seems to lie intentionally about the lyrics. In jimmy there are a few minor lines that seem to be wrong, but one that is way off.
It is supposed to be "It took so long to realize, you hold the light thats been leading me back home."
The actual line is, "he was too stoned to realize, you are the voice thats been calling me back home." ("specific" is said in the background during this part as well)
I find it fascinating that noone has posted the real lyrics to their songs anywhere on the internet. Eulogy has a lot wrong too, as well as Prison Sex, Sober etc. Like on Sober. Its supposed to be "waiting like a stalking butler who upon the finger rests, murder now the path is must be just before the son has come." He says "just because the son has come" They are obvious differences in the songs and it changes the meaning a ton on some of the songs.

lachrymoIogy
08-23-2004, 09:10 AM
this is the second time I've heard this idiocy...
usually I don't bash people for pot or drugs (doing plenty of both myself)...but fuck man lay off.
You've burnt out so bad, you are trying to find these things in the songs. Argueably a mental condition.

Dr.GonZo
08-23-2004, 09:17 AM
shut up .

The Outlaw
08-30-2004, 09:20 PM
i believe he says "he was too *scarred* to realize that you are the voice..."

Seph's Dialated Aperture
09-10-2004, 04:49 PM
I gotta agree with a lot of this.

Sober: "Waiting like a stalking butler, who upon teh finger rests. Murder now the path called must we... just before the son has come"

And I agree in jimmy that it's "you were the voice that's been callin me back... hoooooome"

Raev'n
09-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Yeah it's true. But then again Tool does tell us to think for ourselves so of course he wouldn't make all the lyrics right. Now I'm waiting for "pops" to get here so he can try to p3wn "once"

Serex
06-06-2005, 03:00 PM
if u listen closely hes says "he was to scarred to realize"

Ming
06-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Maynard is a great guy, gifted, witty, great vocalist and lyricist... but he isn't the second coming. He's just a dude. Sometimes he sings it one way.. sometimes another. End of story. Songs evolve. Imagine if you had to sing the same damn song 458,045 times. Don't you think you might ad lib a little here and there? Saying he lied (not that he isn't 110% in it with the secret cereal consortium to overthrow ethiopia and will ultimately screw us all over) about the lyrics is going overboard.

waffel
06-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Like in Lateralus where he says "Sing on a spiral" then the rest of the time he says "Swing on a spirial"

Or in Ticks and Leeches where he says "My fruit is bruised and borrowed" but on lyrics sites it says "My blood is bruised and borrowed"

Goldfoot
06-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Im willing to bet Maynard didnt put those lyrics on the Tool website, considering:

So crucify the ego before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
(*)
Just let the light touch you and let the words spill thorough
Just let them pass right through, bringing out our hope and reason.

(*) waiting for confirmation

I think hed at least have an idea of what hes saying.

And if youre going by The Tool Page here, you should take this into account:

These are the lyrics straight from the source.
They form a blueprint for each performance of each song.
They may vary at times, but the above words were typed
by the guy who sings them. Let them be your starting point.

FRANK THE TANK
11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
It is not impossible for Maynard to lie, and I do agree with the fact that he wants us to "think for ourselves" maybe that;s why he put a spin, but guess wut, We will probably never know....deal with it...find something a little more productive to do with your time than to sit and TRY to find mistakes or anything....the song is what it is to "us" based on what we hear, what one person hears may be different than what Joe Shmoe hears, find the meaning of the song that you believe in and go with it, ex. only the people who wrote the bible know if what they wrote or not is true, we don't, it is up to us on how we decide to use that information, how we absorb it....if one line or two or three may be wrong....so be it...move on with your lives and find something else, instead of trying to find a wrong line why don't you try to put yourself in is shoes, from his point-of-view and try to see what he is talking about, granted that the chances of you getting it right are slim - to - none (unless you know him personally and closely), but keep one thing in mind.....right and wrong are just opinions, What is right to us may be wrong to someone else...and vice versa

cold and faded anger
11-09-2005, 10:32 AM
It is not impossible for Maynard to lie, and I do agree with the fact that he wants us to "think for ourselves" maybe that;s why he put a spin, but guess wut, We will probably never know....deal with it...find something a little more productive to do with your time than to sit and TRY to find mistakes or anything....the song is what it is to "us" based on what we hear, what one person hears may be different than what Joe Shmoe hears, find the meaning of the song that you believe in and go with it, ex. only the people who wrote the bible know if what they wrote or not is true, we don't, it is up to us on how we decide to use that information, how we absorb it....if one line or two or three may be wrong....so be it...move on with your lives and find something else, instead of trying to find a wrong line why don't you try to put yourself in is shoes, from his point-of-view and try to see what he is talking about, granted that the chances of you getting it right are slim - to - none (unless you know him personally and closely), but keep one thing in mind.....right and wrong are just opinions, What is right to us may be wrong to someone else...and vice versa

Frank the Tank, you just got the entire meaning of Tool.

exojjl
11-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Remember, the band changes songs around live to. and maynard especially changes lyrics live as well. I read they do this every third concert. There is also a reason for it being every third concert. Why keep playing the same damn thing all the time? wouldnt that get old?

the_milkman
04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
lol i always heard "too stoned to realize" too...

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
more and more i listen to this song...the more and more its becoming my favorite on this album...i mean you cant really have a fav because they are all excellent but i have been finding myself listening to this song alot in recent times.