PDA

View Full Version : Meaning

3dglver
07-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Does anyone really know what the word Lateralus means? I have tried all day to figure it out, but I didn't get very far, at all.

GuÜg7
07-19-2004, 05:29 PM
I think the word is made up, a play on words. I think it had to do with lateral thinking, thinking out of the box, or just seeing things different. The chorus fits the idea: "overthinking, overanalizing separates the body from the mind..."

Thats just my two cents

3dglver
07-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Thank you. The more I thought about it. The more that made sense to me. That will help me boyfriend out. Thanks again.

thundergod
07-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Thank you. The more I thought about it. The more that made sense to me. That will help me boyfriend out. Thanks again.

actually what i have found is that the lateralus is a muscle, i dunno if that helps but that what i found

Circe
07-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Thats not the proper name of a muscle. I know that one of the quadracepts (sp?) name is the vastus lateralis.

Lateral is an anatomical term relating to the side, so it is used often.

Notice the difference in spelling? I believe this album is not named after a muscle, but is a play on words, with the intention of making us actually think- instead of posting questions on the internet and expecting to be spoon-fed the answer.

Besides that, hasn't this been discussed before?

thundergod
07-28-2004, 03:54 PM
probably i did miss the sp. though oops

3dglver
08-16-2004, 11:16 AM
actually what i have found is that the lateralus is a muscle, i dunno if that helps but that what i found

A muscle??

3dglver
08-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Thats not the proper name of a muscle. I know that one of the quadracepts (sp?) name is the vastus lateralis.

Lateral is an anatomical term relating to the side, so it is used often.

Notice the difference in spelling? I believe this album is not named after a muscle, but is a play on words, with the intention of making us actually think- instead of posting questions on the internet and expecting to be spoon-fed the answer.

Besides that, hasn't this been discussed before?

It probably has been disscussed before. But guess what, I am , well, was new here when I posted this so, how is that? Is that allright with you?!

Leon5465
08-18-2004, 03:39 PM
The muscle does have something to do with the meaning of Lateralus. It was ages ago when I was researching this so I don't remember the specifics... but it is physically impossible to stand upright without that muscle. For me this fit along with the message.

Circe
08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
For me this fit along with the message.

Which would be what?

Jayar
08-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Yes, but other words are misspelt also like Parabol(Parable)

Lateralis I think relates to muscle memory(46 & 2), but also what the otehr member stated Lateral thinking. Combine the two, they fit.

Forty-Six & 2
08-18-2004, 11:36 PM
hmm...odd how the muscle is spelled "Lateralis" as is the mis-print on the earlier releases of the album