PDA

View Full Version : This Is Necessary?

blue/shimmering
07-16-2004, 08:06 AM
i had a really interesting interperetation of this part of the song... (admittedly i was high).

i see it as two people (maybe one, im not sure). who, for some reason have to kill someone else to survive. at first, one of them doesnt want to do it, and he psychs himself up "this IS necessary... life feeds on life". and then the second voice (or just the 1 persons other voice) starts shouting (like in the song, when a second Maynard comes in shouting), saying to get on with "this is necessary".

i dunno.

i was really high.

Mesiah?
02-16-2005, 03:52 PM
huh? thats a damn good idea i would hav never thought of that

FinalMinuet
03-07-2005, 08:45 AM
After listening to that section a couple of times, I started to come up with my own interpretation of it. It seems to me that the industrial/mechanical background combined with the animal screams gives of the impression that sometimes life must be ended for new life to begin. Destruction breeds creation as it were. It even ties back into the first section about the carrots. Even though the carrots are alive, humans must devour them in order to survive. It's survival of the fittest, and if you can't defend yourself, then you'll never make it. This is necessary.

FinalMinuet
03-07-2005, 08:53 AM
that is, unless your Masters (the ones who are the fittest) take compassion on you (the one who isn't).

Very true... any greater being can bestow mercy, or even a pledge of defense, upon a lesser being (greater or lesser refering to the ability to survive). However, generally, this relationship must be beneficial to both parties, especially the superior one, for it to be formed. There are always exceptions.

Very good point. Thumbs up.

eonbluekarma
03-07-2005, 03:26 PM
i had a really interesting interperetation of this part of the song... (admittedly i was high).

i see it as two people (maybe one, im not sure). who, for some reason have to kill someone else to survive. at first, one of them doesnt want to do it, and he psychs himself up "this IS necessary... life feeds on life". and then the second voice (or just the 1 persons other voice) starts shouting (like in the song, when a second Maynard comes in shouting), saying to get on with "this is necessary".

i dunno.

i was really high.

I think that there are a infinite amount of ways to interpet a song. my take on the song is that it is forcing people to think about death in that process and how "life feeds on life" is a cycle in the evolutionary process. Being high does open up another world of intepretation sometimes.

5th Eye
03-07-2005, 06:14 PM
My take on it is that...living things eat other things to survive, and if they don't, they die, so it's necessary.

There you go.

TheInfidel
03-08-2005, 02:35 AM
the way i see it is that it may be more directed towards life in the abstract. i see it more as just one persons inner struggle with trying to kill the off part of them selves in order to evolve personally. 'life feeds on life'. in order to survive you have to continually feed on your own life force to bring about new ways of thought.

Cryotechnics
06-21-2005, 12:58 PM

Remember that maynard was in the army for some time before starting on music, so it can also be about psychology of war, or perhaps the brain wash in the army.. "those little people out there were yours too..." "you killed them" can it mean?

quite good interpretation. cong..

IcaLynn
08-25-2006, 08:07 AM

i dunno.

i was really high.

never thought of that one, its really a good idea. i had the second part as kind of the rising action to a story. i love to write and i cant tell you how many stories ive started that ended up like this. i imagine a beautiful field and the sunlight shining through different spots in the woods and a few cows eating the grass. its a peaceful scene, but it ends in blood and tears. good times. the first part was probably like a vision in which he saw all of this happening. he talked to the angel while he was drunk and the angel said that these two people had killed many others and they must be stopped. then again, in the basic ideals of tool's philosophy, we are all one, so he would really be killing himself.

...ranting again...

i'll be back when i get my thoughts straight...maybe.

ladushky
11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
This song is so significant for number of things. One of the things is the sound of the animal in the background with the shouting of the people, saying hallelujah, who are supporting their leader. The sound of sheep comes out of the crowd; it suggests that people ARE sheep. This is a comparison of sheep to people. What is so significant about this animal? well, sheep tends to follow its leader as soon as it finds one. It follows the path whether or not the path leads it to what it really wants. It is a follower, just like the majority of the people who tend to follow without any thinking. Therefore it would create a fantastic situation for the leader. Here is the most sweet part: by the end of the song, you would end up repeating the same sentence " This is necessary... this is necessary" AND this is the conversion of U to a sheep!:)

Inner_Eulogy
11-06-2011, 11:28 PM
This song is so significant for number of things. One of the things is the sound of the animal in the background with the shouting of the people, saying hallelujah, who are supporting their leader. The sound of sheep comes out of the crowd; it suggests that people ARE sheep. This is a comparison of sheep to people. What is so significant about this animal? well, sheep tends to follow its leader as soon as it finds one. It follows the path whether or not the path leads it to what it really wants. It is a follower, just like the majority of the people who tend to follow without any thinking. Therefore it would create a fantastic situation for the leader. Here is the most sweet part: by the end of the song, you would end up repeating the same sentence " This is necessary... this is necessary" AND this is the conversion of U to a sheep!:)

That was rather obvious...but thanks for your input

computersrevil
11-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Silly little sheeple.