PDA

View Full Version : what you all have failed to realize

timesig.net
01-18-2003, 09:14 AM
The Fibonacci sequence is a infinite sequence of whole numbers which have direct correlation with eachother in all basic mathematical functions.

You asked, so here it goes:

Fibonacci Sequencial formula
A number being equal to (0), then added to one(A), then the sum(b) added to the former number(A). The sum of A + A is equal to the next number in the sequence(1+1=2). Now continue the sequence in this fashion(pre:a+a=b,a+b=c, b+c=d, and so on).

This will result to look like this.(in numerical sequencial order)
1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,377,610,(987).

This is the beggining of the Fibonacci sequence.

The true mathematical value lies in the x and / values.

1/1
2/1
3/2
5/3
8/5
13/8
21/13
34/21
55/34
1.617(647)
89/55
1.6181818 <this number is of higher value than any other numer, sequence, equation know to man. This number is the direct relation of mans physical being into numbers!
It is called the phi ratio. Look it up I have to finish my book

Finally, the relation with lateralus is:
1)987
this is the descending time signature
2)the already noted lateral spiral following the first 6 numbers of fibonacci.
3)the lyrical value of the song clearly is opposed to such thinking. But lets take a look at some of tools past influences:
Alex Grey, Bill Hicks(Einstein did prove it! no, really he did), and lastly TIMOTHY LEARY.
Anyone who knows the work of Leary knows that his writings are extremely inspiring, but mindlessly contradictory!
He was a genius, but seemed to have a deep appreciation for point and counterpoint.
As, this is my opinion, the members of tool do also. They have said not to overanalyze, but we just can't resist. Perhaps this is why this is the most posted on song in this forum?
Perhaps it is coincidence, but there is a chance that all things are linked together.
Now, get off your computer and look at Transfigurations. I will not tell you who it is by because there are two versions, and both meet my needs. But one of the people has been aforementioned. Enjoy your newfound enlightenment. But do not abuse it, for when you have nothing left but yourself you become lonely, one tends to create mere appearences of mere appearences to meet his own needs.

flipmojo
01-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Your post was an interesting read. But what is my new found enlightenment? Another way to manipulate numbers or the part about the thought processes of Tool and their influences (which is posted in many places).

I have already read through Alex Grey's Transfigurations. It was another interesting read. It is full of many new and old theories. But, I found the book, most enjoyed, when looked at strictly as art. That way, it is what it is to each individual reader.

I just don't see how that sequence has anything to do with the feelings within the song Lateralus. I understand that the music follows those patterns, and that the "spiral out" concept comes from that kind of sequenced thinking, but the song has a deeper feel to it than numbers. The song, to me, feels more like an opening of ones heart to their own existence through love. Love is larger than any number.

Metatron's Cube
01-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Overalnalyze can be taken alot of ways, I take it as live in the moment. I don't take it as do not analyze anything, or dont think! I hate it when people quote this lyric this way. Analyzation has led to every great scientific discovery we have. Do you think maynard him self didnt over analyze this song when he wrote it? The sylables are fibbinoci numbers! Read other posts about lateralus for a detailed description of how this works.

The actual value of the goden mean, or its limit is 1.6180339887, not a 181818 on the end.