PDA

View Full Version : gap... label

numb...
01-18-2003, 02:10 AM
I came across something in the song "pushit," the recurring reference to "the gap." I thought that the gap may be not a physical gap, but the popular american clouthing label gap. And how Maynard may express views in anti-globilization (gap being the worst). Just a thought, he use's religion and sex in song theme's, why not politics. It goes through the story about a slave labour victom "Choke this infant here before me," obviously a child. Maynard then begin's to contradict himself "What is this but my reflection?" Well i were label's (he says) so who am i to sing about this. And then how he would trade all his gap clouths for a piece of mind that the slave labour victom will be okay. And then sings how he wants to be in there shoes "Put me somewhere I don't wanna be.Seeing someplace I don't wanna see. Never wanna see that place again." These are just some of the referece's in pushit that support this theory... just an idea out of meny.

Divine_left
01-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Whoa....I never knew I didn't think to realize that one. Thats definitely stretching the boundaries there, kiddo.

I kind of see "the gap" as being a metaphorical thing, like the space between the 2 characters in the song.

I don't believe it, but the evidence is there if you interpret it that way. More power to ya.

Hooray for thinking for youself

spiralion
01-27-2003, 03:54 PM
For some reason I've always thought of the gap as the san andreas fault in Aenima. "Bang my head upon the faultline" Different types of boundaries seem to be mentioned in this album. For example "Finger deep within the borderline", crossing over in 46&2, this song, Aenima, and metaphorically prying open the third eye, if you get what I am getting at.

pushit_kirsty
01-28-2003, 03:57 AM
thast a pretty interesting idea, but im not sure how much i think you are correct (but who am i to say?)
anyway i was just wondering if you have read "No Logo" by Naomi Klein? in this book she talks alot about the evolution of the logo, and how the logo has bacome its own entity. I guess if you are interested in learning more about your theory it would be good for you to read this, and find out if Maynard has also.

good luck...

chafro
01-28-2003, 06:51 PM
makes sense, just not in this song, in AEnima hes says: "fuck l ron hubbard and fuck all his clothes" so you are on the correct thinking just in the wrong song imo

spiralion
01-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Fuck L Ron Hubbard and all his clones CLONES CLONESCLONES CLONES CLONES CLONES CLONES CLONES GODAMNIT

Convoy_X
02-04-2003, 01:42 AM
that seems a bit far feched to me

ObviousParadox
02-09-2003, 12:34 AM
seems to me his reference to the gap is very sexual in nature...saw the gap (Again) while you were begging me to stay?