PDA

View Full Version : drumming schism

IC
06-26-2004, 03:38 PM
ive practiced this pretty thouroughly, and I nail the whole thing, save for that stupid 16th trips at the VERY end...grr..
at the part when maynard sings "Between supposed lovers/brothers"
I never think im gonna hit those accents, cause i they make the time disguised if you hear it, (signature changed) but i hit it. I must be listening to them too much..
can any one get that double bass thing SOLID at the end?
(this is the drum version of that can you scream like in the grudge haha)

JTCrace
06-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Dude, if you can nail this whole song, kudos to you. As far as the end goes I've heard two theories. The first is that he is doing straight 8th note triplets with the toms accenting. The other is that he is doing the triplets like this: 1.) Baritone Tom, Trip) Right bass drum, Let) Left bass drum, still accenting with the other toms. This is fairly easy to play because the tom accents fall in line with the beginning of each triplet.

If he is using an 18 inch floor tom then the latter theory is probably true because if you beating the hell out of an 18 inch tom it can sound quite a bit like a bass drum (and we all know he beats the fuck out of the drums). I would recommend the latter method because the former would take too much practice (and who the hell has time for practice).

Let me know how it goes!

SadSummerSea
06-27-2004, 02:39 PM
I know for a fact that reading this would make Danny smile.

IC
06-28-2004, 07:12 PM
haha makes me smile
things that make you go ..bleuhgBG...

Parabowl
07-07-2004, 06:00 PM
ive practiced this pretty thouroughly, and I nail the whole thing, save for that stupid 16th trips at the VERY end...grr..
at the part when maynard sings "Between supposed lovers/brothers"
I never think im gonna hit those accents, cause i they make the time disguised if you hear it, (signature changed) but i hit it. I must be listening to them too much..
can any one get that double bass thing SOLID at the end?
(this is the drum version of that can you scream like in the grudge haha)

same problem! and i suck at drums, being able to play up until the last half minute of this song is probly the coolest thing ive learned so far.. besides most of random beats from pushit.. but i cant put em together ;l between supposed lovers/brothers wasnt that tricky. the first part of the ending, where 2xbass kicks in w/ the cymbals.. before the straight bass/toms part.. kicks my ass everytime.. i love the picture in the opiate cover with him fucking the dead body.
also you know whats a BITCHIN song on drums, intolerance..

IC
07-11-2004, 06:53 PM
YES i love intolerance. my band played that live once, and it was too much fun. The problem in schism is they make you think they lost the time but its still there. haha keep practicin

phatslug
11-26-2004, 01:22 AM
To me the end just sounds like hes doin triplets with the double bass, and the tom notes on top.

Isac Khrondor
02-27-2005, 03:42 PM
My freind (who is God-Like on the kit) learnt the whole thing a while back, it's among many of our other songs we cover, he says Ticks & Leeches is the hardest, but he can still play it which is cool.
I'll post us playing Schism some time, I have all our stuff on tape, just need to start going digital.