PDA

View Full Version : Cold and Ugly and 4 Degrees connection

Mr Omnipotent
06-21-2004, 01:39 PM
heres my thoughts... cold and ugly is simular to 4 degrees because they are both to me about becoming completely passive and doing what you wanna do and not be held back by modern day indescresion lables. like in cold and ugly it says

"trembling at the thought of feeling
wide awake and keeping distance
nothing seems to penetrate her
cause shes scared as hell"

compare these lyrics to...

"you wont feel what youd like to feel
lay back and let me show you another way"

and...

"lifes too short for pushing away"

to me its about someone whos always held back because of countless reasons. and that we need to slip into that sin and after the first time it stings less and less... so kinda like stinkfist in a way as well...

Et in Arcadia Ego
06-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Yes, perhaps... There's some interesting thoughts there...

But if you take the three songs you mentioned - Cold & Ugly, 4 Degrees and Stinkfist - I like to think of them moving forward into new concepts... As if the person is evolving and changing, while opening themselves up...

Cold & Ugly is the opitomy of fear and uncertainty with a first sexual encounter... Or the first signs of caring and passion that are lost between the uncertainty of what is happening...

Trembling at the thought of feeling.
Wide awake and keeping distance.

I am frightened to.
Wide awake
and keeping distance from my soul.
I am scared like you.

The speaker hasn't yet become comfortable with what lies ahead of them and are unable to show a large degree of emotion, whereas this changing in 4 Degrees... 4 Degrees seems more about opening yourself up to new ideas and new way to feel loved, to feel complete and whole...

Get up and free yourself from yourself.

You won't do what you'd like to do.
Lay back and let me show you another way.
Instead of always consuming, just lying back and feeling something different could take passion one step further...

It brings us closer than
dying and cancer and crying.

Stinkfist seems to be more about over indulging in such things... To become desensitised to any feeling and passion that was once there... It could be metaphorically about drugs or life or anything... But whatever it's about, the message that you take away from it seems clearly a step above 4 Degrees...

Constant over stimu-lation numbs me
and I wouldn't have
It any other way.

It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive.

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
How can it mean anything to me
If I really don't feel anything at all?
I'll keep digging till
I feel something.
Elbow deep inside the borderline.

I guess it's easy to keep going, but those are just a few thoughts that I have on it all... I mean I've only briefly gone over them and you can almost just as easily manipulate the message in a different way...

This is just how I thought the three songs relate best to each other...

Those three steps that just keep going one step further...

IC
07-12-2004, 08:38 AM
quiet possible. Cold and Ugly and 4degrees where written during the same time period.

jaggermeister
06-28-2007, 10:16 AM
i don't believe this theory of "coincidence" at all (see my sweat post regarding smoking pot).

IMPO, Cold and Ugly is about an encounter with a physically stunning creature who's soul and personality is "Cold and Ugly". I.e, we attribute lust and primordial attraction with heat, sexuality and beauty. So, MJK is asking, why is this fan-fucking-tastic woman such a bitch? She should be having the time of her life, getting high on orgasms and shit; he is looking for some rationale fore why she is the way she is ("Trembling at the thought of feeling; wide awake and keeping distance; nothing seems to penetrate and she's scared as hell..";). He's also probably a little more than distressed about this because he wants to bang this chick in the worst way.

This woman isn't dumb but she makes herself that way; ("Wide awake and keeping distance from her soul"); ***, this gal is a precursor to some of the bitches we meet in Aenima ("fuck these dysfunctional, insecure actresses")

why do i think this you may ask (i.e. how'd you get it so right?). Well, let me tell you, i ascribed this song to a cutie little pot head girl i had a crush on for way too long. she knew what was going on. she hated her boyfriend and wanted (in my opinion anyway ) a good dicking and basically was unhappy with who she was. However, she was too afraid to change. she was stoned ALL the time and that eventually became her own prison; keeping her away from what she truly wanted (i.e. a good dicking)

What is impressive with this song is that not only does MJK diagnose her condition (why? because he wants to fuck her) but he reaches out as well ("I am frightened too"); he wants to help this woman; this, in all reality, idiot, who is ignoring her own soul for the sake of "being safe".

Thank you and good night.

Carny_Handles
05-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I told my ex-girlfriend that this song reminds me of her every time I play it. lol

ghostfire58
11-02-2011, 10:50 PM
The speaker hasn't yet become comfortable with what lies ahead of them and are unable to show a large degree of emotion, whereas this changing in 4 Degrees... 4 Degrees seems more about opening yourself up to new ideas and new way to feel loved, to feel complete and whole...

Get up and free yourself from yourself.

You won't do what you'd like to do.
Lay back and let me show you another way.
Instead of always consuming, just lying back and feeling something different could take passion one step further...

It brings us closer than
dying and cancer and crying.

Stinkfist seems to be more about over indulging in such things... To become desensitised to any feeling and passion that was once there... It could be metaphorically about drugs or life or anything... But whatever it's about, the message that you take away from it seems clearly a step above 4 Degrees...

called out."The woman who loves you the most in the world just cleaned your headlights and windshield."
My husband looked up and said, "Mom's here?"
Diablo 3 Gold (http://www.mydiablo3items.com/)