PDA

View Full Version : Interpret Shmerpret

WarmGlass
06-16-2004, 05:09 PM
I am a new member to the Tool Shed, and this is my first post. Recently a friend of mine suggested, during a discussion about the lyrics to "Pushit," that I read some of the interesting interpretations posted in this forum.
As a student of poetry and the English language, I've enjoyed discovering Tool, their lyrics and themes. As I listened to this CD many times, I gradually began to pick up references to the bible, or as I like to call it, Catholic Mythology. Although, I admit to having no idea whether it was Keenan's intention or not, listening to Pushit, it began to conjure images of being baptised (...this infant here before me, What is this but my reflection) and memories of being forsed into the Catholic mold as so many of us were as children. Finally, the phrase, "There's no love in fear," rang in my mind over and over. This song, in the midst of a "crisis of faith" gave me the courage to not only reject the institution but to realize my rage toward it.
This being said, as a student of literature and an artist myself, I can't help but scoff at those of you who have convinced yourselves that you've "decoded" Maynard's lyrics and are posting your comments in order to enlighten the rest of us. The greatest poets have been analysed long after their deaths, and still those who get the most from their work are those who read it for pleasure and inspiration, not those who analyze and scutinize.

wwwanggg
06-16-2004, 06:59 PM
The greatest poets have been analysed long after their deaths, and still those who get the most from their work are those who read it for pleasure and inspiration, not those who analyze and scutinize.

That is an excellent response. You are absolutely right, but I do feel that a level of analysis should be met, in order to truly enjoy the lyrics and conveyed emotions of the poet. Plus, there is no right answer or interpretation to a song. You may think you have figured it out, but MJK may be thinking something else.