PDA

View Full Version : You can't sing this song

Divine_left
05-22-2004, 06:25 AM
I just thought this was an interesting tid-bit...

I sing. My most favorite things to sing are Tool and APC songs, because they're very melodic and they give me plenty of room to exersize and expand my vocal ability/range. But I've never been able to sing Schism...I just figured out why.

I'm listening to it, and during the first verse (before the yelling starts), there are at least 2...maybe 3...harmonized voices behind the lead. Beyond this, the harmonies seem to be in a different mode than the melody is. It's pretty fucked up, but it's genius.

It also explains why I always sound off-key when I sing along to Schism.

Raev'n
05-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Yeah I'm a singer and I noticed that too. I love singing H. just because of the bit that starts of with: Venomous voice... etc

Liquid Ashes
06-03-2004, 05:18 PM
I cant sing any songs..

Reaver
06-04-2004, 02:45 AM
Funny, I could always sing to that song.....

g-bay-be
06-07-2004, 02:09 PM

could this off key sound lead you to finding beauty in the dissonance!!!!!!!!

MrMcPheezy
06-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I just thought this was an interesting tid-bit...

I sing. My most favorite things to sing are Tool and APC songs, because they're very melodic and they give me plenty of room to exersize and expand my vocal ability/range. But I've never been able to sing Schism...I just figured out why.

I'm listening to it, and during the first verse (before the yelling starts), there are at least 2...maybe 3...harmonized voices behind the lead. Beyond this, the harmonies seem to be in a different mode than the melody is. It's pretty fucked up, but it's genius.

I'd love to hear you sing, doh. You should put something up in tdn records. or send me something. or something.

Triangular_Vision
06-11-2004, 02:31 PM
could this off key sound lead you to finding beauty in the dissonance!!!!!!!!
good one!

Divine_left
06-13-2004, 02:25 PM
I'd love to hear you sing, doh. You should put something up in tdn records. or send me something. or something.

I'm contemplating some piano covers of a few Tool and APC songs. If I ever decide to record them, you bet they'll find their way on these forums.

Mr Omnipotent
06-21-2004, 06:20 PM
H and Forty-six & 2 are the best to sing... jimmy as well

g-bay-be
06-21-2004, 07:45 PM
good one!

I try i try

Raev'n
06-24-2004, 04:07 PM
H and Forty-six & 2 are the best to sing... jimmy as well

Ah jimmy: *creams pants*

g-bay-be
06-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Ah jimmy: *creams pants*

there is a part in pushit when it goes It will end no other WAAAAAAAAY

and my dad doesnt like tool but he thinks that is amazing

Raev'n
06-26-2004, 04:56 AM
there is a part in pushit when it goes It will end no other WAAAAAAAAY

*creams pants again* Man I love Pushit

Cyanide ChrYst
07-22-2004, 10:34 PM
I sang this song live a few times. You just need to know about octaves. There are two voices; both maynard, recorded at separate times. One is his higher octave; such as when he sings "Before we pine away" in Reflection. The other is his lower octave, when he sings "Saturn ascends...choose one or ten..."

I sing the lower octave on everything because I have a much deeper voice than him for whatever reason. Only parts where I rise to his second and sometimes third are the "Cold silence has..." and "Between supposed lovers".

http://www.funtigo.com/thecyanidechryst?b=159761&c=306371&p=start

x7 Lateralus 7x
10-03-2004, 03:08 PM
i knew i wuznt hearing things in the backround =D, i cant sing worth shit, i play guitar but i havent looked up the tab yet, it seems very spaced out with the guitaring...
if anyone has a tab site with an accurate tab of schism, gimmie.

Raev'n
10-03-2004, 04:38 PM
http://powertabs.net

It's brilliant. You download this program called PowerTab (duh lol) and it plays back the tab that you download. It's greata the version of Schism on it is brilliant. It has about 2 I think.

Raev'n
10-03-2004, 04:39 PM
oops it's http://www.powertabs.net

Windir
10-04-2004, 08:07 AM
I can sing along, but I cant sing.

MrMcPheezy
10-04-2004, 08:13 AM
i knew i wuznt hearing things in the backround =D, i cant sing worth shit, i play guitar but i havent looked up the tab yet, it seems very spaced out with the guitaring...
if anyone has a tab site with an accurate tab of schism, gimmie.

Goddammit.

Ashes-TO-Ashes
10-06-2004, 10:10 AM
I enjoy singing along to this one because you can choose which voice to immitate and you already have your backup vocals making the song more rich.

wwwanggg
10-07-2004, 12:01 AM
leave it to maynard. he can sing anything

Triangular_Vision
10-10-2004, 06:58 PM
leave it to maynard. he can sing anything

He does have an amazing voice. I love his melody in the grudge and definately schism. Kind of a machine like tribal chant.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-10-2004, 09:56 PM
You know it sounds kind of dry in tool and nice and meaty in APC. Like he's more charged and angry in tool (given).

I'd give him head.

Triangular_Vision
10-11-2004, 07:20 AM
I think that the voice matches both bands perfectly... apc is definately the more feminine of the two. Tool seems structuralize, penetrate, and calculate while apc seems to run on emotion and motivation while growing like a taproot deeper and deeper.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Penetration rocks.

TheHolyGift
10-14-2004, 07:55 AM
I love singing along to Tool songs. In fact, the only song I sing for my band is when we cover H. I know what you're all saying about the voice difference in Tool and APC. I noticed that recently. And I love that he's done that, it makes the bands so sonically different.

Lackymacky
10-15-2004, 03:43 PM
thats whats sweet about lateralus, not one song does he sound alike...it be kewwwwwwwww

aenima sort of same thing but a few similar voices...

and ive been recently RE-listening to APC, i havent listened to them in so long and when i heard weak and powerless recently...ugh i got hooked again theyre swellllllllllll

Windir
10-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Penetration rocks.

Never heard of that.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Lol...silly nederlander.

I mean 'penetration is really cool.'

ÆNIMA69
04-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah I'm a singer and I noticed that too. I love singing H. just because of the bit that starts of with: Venomous voice... etc

i love that part too.

its pretty fun, me and my sister sing schism, her the high, and me the low, it sounds pretty good. but i like it much better when im alone singing high. i liked that comment about beauty in the dissonance... cool stuff

Raev'n
04-18-2005, 05:54 AM
Lol, you just bumped a thread from last year...

...good...shit...maybe