PDA

View Full Version : Black, White, Red, and Yellow

saut
05-17-2004, 05:42 PM
This is taken from a thread in the general Lateralus discussion board. I'm posting it here so that more people can be aware of it.

It has been theorized that the significance of the colors black, white, red, and yellow is that those are the first colors to be seen by new-born children. I, however, pose a different theory -- one that is backed by Maynard himself in this interview: http://cdicarlo.com/paper_04maynard.htm

The following excerpt from the above interview is where I derived my theory:

In the song "Lateralus" you refer to the origins of perceptual observation i.e. "Black then white are all I see in my infancy", "red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see". Again, is this more of a metaphor or are you being literal? The reason I ask is because human developmental reasoning is one of my areas of research. That is, to what degree are we born with human propensities for perception, speech, responses, etc., and to what extent are these learned behaviours?

MK: "I use the archetype stories of North American aboriginals and the themes or colours which appear over and over again in the oral stories handed down through generations. Black, white, red, and yellow play very heavily in aboriginal stories of creation."

Here, Maynard shoots down the idea of the colors being symbolic of human development. He instead refers to Native American mythology as the source.

What significance do these colors have in NA mythology?

Black symbolizes: introspection and reflection
White symbolizes: wisdom and knowledge
Red symbolizes: passion and emotions
Yellow symbolizes: the dawning of a new day and inspiration

(I knew taking that course in American mythology would come in handy one day!)

Applying these symbolic meanings to the lyrics of Lateralus, I have come to the following conclusions:

At first "black and white is all I see" -- perhaps introspection and reflection through meditation, which in turn leads to a gain in wisdom and knowledge of oneself.

After this new knowledge is acheived, "red and yellow come to be" -- the coming of emotion, passion, and the dawning of a new day. "Embrace the desire to feel the rhythm...to feel inspired... to witness the beauty... " These lines in particular heavily reflect emotion. It is finally through emotion and passion that the breakthrough occurs -- perhaps a higher state of conciousness achieved. The dawning of a new day and inspiration.

I apologize that my thoughts are a little jumbled toward the end, but I hope I'm getting my point across. I'm not 100% sure that this is what Tool intended, but it seems extremely plausable, especially in light of the above interview excerpt. Please share your thoughts.

saut
05-18-2004, 06:18 AM
You're the only one that ever replies to my threads. Thanks lol

saut
05-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Think of it however you like, but this is probably what Tool intended.

saut
05-19-2004, 04:56 AM
I reply when I want to reply and I reply if I think it is necessary. Whossa!

And I thank you for that! If it wasn't for you I'd be feeling wholly neglected.

Neptune[Out]
05-23-2004, 04:58 AM
Good interview and your thoughts make good sense.. :)

rafael
05-23-2004, 05:58 AM
I always thought of the whole 'black, white, red and yellow' as a spectrum of colours, rather than symbols at first.

I mean. The 'first' colour that we know, which also could be connected to the whole galaxy and the beginning of the world is black. This is what existed in the first place.

Then came white, or light, as one might interpet. This is the electro magnetic spectrum of colours, combined. Everything.

Then comes red and yellow, which I really can't interpet to mean anything special, scientifically. Red is in the very end or in between the middle and the end. While yellow is the middle.

Maybe Tool's trying to say how you evolve as a person and balance yourself. At first you know nada. Then you come to think that you know all / everything (?). As you develop yourself you come to the very dark 'right' (red) end, and finally end up balanced in between of everything (yellow).

To be honest I don't know shit. I don't even have any arguments to support my thoughts, neither to I look for them. This is just what I come up with, my own thoughts reflecting on the information I've been given.

I've to say that saut's theory is quite good and well thought of. Good work, keep that mind sweating ;)

PRNinja23
05-23-2004, 06:28 PM
For me, they meant the good/bad emotional states of infancy, then the next emotions we learn are anger (red) and yellow (fear).

¿Calin?
06-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Well you might kick me for gettin technical but i think it makes a difference here.

In the whole colour scheme that rafael referred to, black and white are not colours, they are shades. Therefore, in maynards words, in his infancy all he saw were shades. Shades to me fall in somewhat with shadows, which symbolizes perception without depth. Conciousness, without passion. Now that state of mind pretty much explains a baby. They are concious, but can't realy feel any real depth or passion towards the world due to their extreme innocence. As they get older the colour (red & Yellow) comes in to their lives (as innocence fades), and they not only see shadow alone but colour with it, thus completing the body and mind to be one.

Triangular_Vision
06-18-2004, 09:36 AM
it has been my experiance that when waking into a lucid dream or going out of body there is only black to begin with, then white fades into view, red then yellow come as the world materializes around you. This is supported by him saying that red and yellow are reaching out to him letting him see through to these infinate possibilities. He makes many referances to out of body experiances, meditation and such.

drawn beyond the lines of reason, push the envelope watch it bend.... then he clearly says "overthinking overanalyzing, SEPERATE THE BODY FROM THE MIND. withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind...
here he is saying that taking too much signifigance in things and missing the bigger picture by digging through every litle clue. We must remeber our purpose.

Triangular_Vision
06-18-2004, 09:42 AM
i think a few too many of you are thinking a little too physical to catch the real meanings behind tool. VERY VERY FEW of tools songs even have anything to do with anything that you can touch taste smell hear or see with your physical eyes. It is all on a metaphysical level and to do with the spirit in the astral planes. If you havn't noticed... tool is more of a guideline on how to operate your brain and wake into the collective consciouse.

Triangular_Vision
06-20-2004, 12:09 AM
I like to think of it as more as metaphors...

at night: the moon = black and white

at day: the sun = red and yellow

i like that layer of meaning... nice angle.

Windir
06-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Red - stimulates the mind and nervous system. Will stimulate appetite. Bright red can be an irritant if used over large areas. Makes objects seem closer and larger. Its opposite color is green.

Yellow - stimulates the nervous system as well as the mind. Makes objects seem closer and larger. Good choice if you want a room to appear brighter and more spring-like. Captivates the eye, but can be an irritant if over-used. Great choice for a bathroom that doesn't get much sunlight. Its opposite color is violet.

Black - depending on how it is used, it can create an elegant and sophisticated look in a room or it can depress. Just to be on the safe side, do not use over a wide area. Opposite color is white.

White - creates a stark atmosphere. Great as an accent or background color because it makes other colors seem more vivid and bold. Opposite color is black.

Aegisthus
06-29-2004, 02:54 PM
I don't know how many of you have seen it; but this line reminds me of a scene in Donnie Darko: The bitchy teacher tries to get him to rate a situation on a love/fear scale, meaning how good or evil is it (Black and White). Donnie (who i think would be a Tool fan if he were real) points out that everything can't be divided in two and that we must take into account "the whole spectrum of human emotion" (red and yellow). I know this is niether poignant or opinionated but, oh well.

berkough
06-30-2004, 04:20 AM
I don't know how many of you have seen it; but this line reminds me of a scene in Donnie Darko: The bitchy teacher tries to get him to rate a situation on a love/fear scale, meaning how good or evil is it (Black and White). Donnie (who i think would be a Tool fan if he were real) points out that everything can't be divided in two and that we must take into account "the whole spectrum of human emotion" (red and yellow). I know this is niether poignant or opinionated but, oh well.

Nah, it's cool. Thanks for sharing.

Triangular_Vision
07-03-2004, 10:36 AM
it sucks that we are stuck sharing these ideas on a web forum... its hard enough to speak them, let alone type them with lack of emotion...

Shinji
08-26-2007, 09:48 PM
The 4 colors are the ones seen in alchemy along transmutation, from the material (basic condition) to gold (Spirit).

imonlysleeping
11-05-2007, 08:16 PM
i think it has to do with evolution. seeing as our ancestors could only see in black and white, then in colors. fits nicely with the theme of evolving and embracing the unknown.