PDA

View Full Version : Opiate

psilocybe
11-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Opiate obviously deals with religion. The title "Opiate" suggest that religion is the opiate for the masses...something that people will do anything for, at any cost, and how they become weak willed and just do anything they are told. The events of september 11 show us just powerful the "word of god" can be. Maynard writes as if he is the messiah, or the leader of this religion, telling his minions to let him guide them...this song seems pretty straight forward, but who know's with TOOL, this song could have nothing to do with religion at all and we could all be way off...

rewnfloot
11-20-2002, 01:04 AM
I think of Opiate as being from a preacher- particularly the kind that 'heal' people and then ask for money. The whole thing sounds like the outline sermon. First, he points out that we can't do it ourself and need direction, which he will gladly give. And if we listen to what he (God through him) is saying, then we will be healed. After a bit of healing, he then reminds us that we should give back money in gratitude. And while we're looking in our wallets, he finishes with a prayer.

Borris
11-20-2002, 07:53 PM
To me this song is clearly based around religion. If we look at other art by maynard we know he has some interesting views about religion. "To ascend you must die", "Think for yourself, question authority", "Fuck your god, your lord, your christ", so I think what he means by this song is you shouldn't question him because for someone reason he has a more powerful sense of divinity than all the other people around him. And they should all do what he says without question. Which is kind of sad that in the real world it kind of works like that.

a mon avi

Borris

Typx
11-22-2002, 09:56 PM
I just wanted to mention the line "We both want to rape you." On the surface it could just be pointing towards the sexual assaults that men of god have perpetrated. But I think it may point more to the power that these people are able to exact over their followers. Power to the point where even something as violating as rape would be accepted with open arms if it was the desire of their god speaking through a person.

Disasterpeice
11-23-2002, 05:36 PM
The song, to me, deals more with the sexual abuse of the so called "men of god", most because of the line "we both want to rape you". Priests are the peoples voice of god, meaning they're extremely important to these people. It gives them a sense of power, and some of the may abuse that sense of power. And it may not just be sexual - maybe they're dipping into the offering money and keeping a percentage for themselves, or maybe they're drinkin' that holy wine every night. Who knows? But like most have said, it could go both ways. It may be in a spiritual sense, or it could be in the physical sense.