PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Antidrug

The_Librarian
05-14-2004, 05:27 PM
On The surface, this song seems to be a classical "Antidrug"-song. The Monkey on one's shoulder seems to cry out in every verse, "just enough to let you down".
But it's actually the opposite. Sure, drugs can ruin you life. But it is possible, and many - the most - people deny that, to life _with_ drugs. Drugs _can_ enhance your creativity, drugs _can_ enhance your life - and you don't necesarilly suffer from that. Did you hear about those projects in switzerland, where they give Heroin (not Methadone) to junkies? They live a normal live, do their jobs, and sometimes even raise "normal" famillies, without being "abnormal" in a way the Anti-Drug opponents might think they would.
Sober relates to that. In my eyes, it tells a story of some guy who is just at his best when he's intoxicatd, and can't understand his surroundings, always pushing him to get clean, to lead a "normal" life. The truth is, "normality" is defined by every single personality, and is not the same for any different persons.

Undertolerance
05-22-2004, 01:35 AM
Aso! Quite the different light to shine upon this song, I very much like your take on it. Thought I retain my own meaning for the song yours is quite strong and very interesting. I applaud your thoughts and being bold to share them be them so different. Thus is the way that humans are, truly unique. Though far too many seem to forget that fact, I have been using a "normal" tirrate for quite some time and I like that someone that I dont even know has similar ideas as me, gives me hope that one day other people too will open there eyes and minds the rampit bullshit that the media and holywood pettle upon us. =) Three cheers and pats on the back!

Nirvanoid68
06-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Yes. That's what I've always thought about it.

And I think somewhere MJK said that too.

And I also think that it makes the best sense out of anything. He's telling himself all of the vocal abuse that drug users get from some people who think that they are bad, or wrong. Just listen one more time. Don't they all sound like stereotypes of users from anti-drug campaigns and idiots who have never tried a drug in their life and have no reason to be saying that to people? ...Says it like he himself believes it.

And then there's that one line that's undeniable.

Why can't we NOT be sober?

That double negative can't be anything but Anti-Antidrug.

Raev'n
06-24-2004, 03:47 PM
That's exactly what I thought when I first heard this song. I was like: Ha Ha, this is the hell anti-anti drug person song. I love this song cause it has so much feeling, especially in the chorus when he goes into it the second and third time. I can play it on the bass and it's so great =). I love your view on it Librarian, it's great... Can Undertolerance post his/hers or is it somewhere?