PDA

View Full Version : perfection

chewy
11-19-2002, 09:47 PM
this is quite possibly one of the best pieces of art i have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. the theme of this version i consider to be the same as the album version (my review of which can be read at apathetic existence (http://www.apatheticexistence.com) ) only in a much more passionate way. as is obvious when listening to tool, the music, the actual sounds you hear carry all of the emotion and on this song it is passion at its finest, with a great theme as well. once again, not to push my site or anything but you can read my interpretation there.

DeleteYourself
11-20-2002, 03:58 AM
yes...pushit is definetly the standout track on Salival...its such a good version....and i love the intro....everytime i listen to it, i do what maynard suggests without even realizing it....by going into my own little world and just absorb the song, ignoring whatever is around me

and ill agree with you...there is a lot of passion in it.

Cracker
11-20-2002, 05:42 AM
This is the song I use to convert people to tool fans.

My favorite bit is the jam where Maynard isn't singing (9:52). I just love how good the bass and the guitar sound together there. The mix is just perfect there, and there isn't a particular instrument in the spotlight.

evera
11-20-2002, 10:32 AM
this song was very significant to me when i was having problems with my mother. we were living together and trying very hard not to kill each other. it's that remember i will always love you as i claw your throat away. that's excatly how it was. she was pushing me to be the way that she wanted and ignoring that fact that living together had to end. we don't live together anymore and get along great (like i told her we would.)

bdm56
11-20-2002, 11:36 AM
This is one of the most beautifull things I have ever heard. Since this is a live recording I will save my interpretation for the album cut. Everytime I see Tool I pray that they will play this song even though I know that there is no way that they will, they need that bongo player (name?) there. Hearing this in person would be so incredible though, its really just an amazing song.

okkoto
11-20-2002, 12:41 PM
maynard's suggestions at the beginign of this track are my favorite part as well.

maynard is a shaman.

Andy DV
11-20-2002, 01:07 PM
I think the thing I appreciate most about this song is how it relates to the album version. The song itself is probably my favorite TOOL song, but I don't think I can decide which version I like more. The intense guitar riffs of the original are not present in the Salival version, but it is amazing in its own right for obvious reasons, specifically how it gradually increases tempo and concludes the same as the album version. Incredible.

oO pensive Oo
11-20-2002, 09:38 PM
When i listen to Tool, i tend to use them as an actual tool in my gaining of personal insight. So i take each song, and try and compare it with something going on in my life. The last 3 and a half years my greatest struggle has been with religion and staying on one side or another.... yes or no.... Do i believe in God or Darwin? I was raised Southern Baptist and had a "very good relationship" as one might put it with God, but as i aged and begin to think for myself about matters....reality struck me in the ass. Could it be that this entity i have been conversing with all years is nothing more than an imaginary friend as a young child might have? If it's not, are these questions that i have punishable in the end? I put down religion often and being a former Christian it never leaves the back of my mind that i could be wrong in my conversion to Zen. This song reminds me of my struggle, with talking about a gap in between the two sides. Pushing God away, as he begs me to stay. It's just the way i look at it. I'm not saying that this is how Mr. Keenan looks at it.

idiotboy
11-22-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by bdm56
they need that bongo player (name?) there.

aloke dutta.

yes, the salival version of "pushit" is one of the most amazing things i've heard in my life. maynard's vocals soar and sigh over adam's simple guitar riffs and aloke and danny's drumming for the first 6 minutes or so, then the song collapses into itself and arises with phoenix-like tenacity for the 2nd half.

truly a thing of awe and beauty.

mdc244
11-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Yea , they played the salival version of pushit in Philly a year ago, it was great.

Lochreas
11-22-2002, 02:15 PM
They are actually called Tablas. Aloke Dutta is the master of the tabla. They are always mentioning him on the official Tool page.

And yes, they pretty much make the song. That solo is amazing.

scorpioali
11-23-2002, 04:06 PM
i never really liked the album version of this song, but when i heard the version on salival, pushit became one of my favorite songs. it really is sung with a lot of passion and heart and i suddenly found myself really listening to the words and the music for the first time. my favorite part is "if, when i say i may fade like a sigh if i stay, you minimize my movemnet anyway, i must persuade you another way". that part made me realize that this song has some personal meaning to me. i am still very moved and touched whenever i listen to this song.

Sauron
11-24-2002, 06:58 PM
This is my fav Tool song. I mean , the first time I heard it I just went crazy. That line Maynard sais at the begginig is very inspirational: "We need you to find a comfortable space, that's not ony comfortable, but vurnerable...Need you tu shut your eyes and go there, and we'll meet you on the other side.."

I mean, with that intro its impossible to not feel the song go through every single part of your body and soul. This song cleanses me in a way no ritual has ever done...Its just magikal.

Beeker
12-24-2002, 03:16 AM
i cried when i heard the live version of pushit for the first time. it was really hard to listen to, but i played it my friend (who loves tool as much as i do) and she cried too, so i guess the band were doing something right, huh?