PDA

View Full Version : spiritual symbolism in the liner notes

cfhrevolutioncfh
05-07-2004, 07:43 PM
the first thing i wan't to bring up is the tattoo on maynards back.
for those who don't know it is a personalized kundalini. (if you've never heard of that goto this link

http://www.crystalinks.com/kundalini.html

1st page. downward spiral- outer energy enters the body during meditation passing through the head and diriectly into the kundalini.

flaming eyes- representing the chakras, notice that the enegy connects to the heart chakras located over the sternum. right at the point of the kundalini.

2nd page. the physical body-

3rd page. the glowing around the body is the aura. the energy given off by the body.
the crown/halo/geometry- not quite sure which they are trying to portray but either way the significance is the sacred geometric symbol. though i'm not very familiar with all of the symbols i do know that symbols made of straight lines are male symbols and curved are female. maybe symbolizing the masculine being encompassed by the feminine

the ring of eyes- i think this represents the outside spirits watching over him, possibly the collective unconcious?

4th page. orb in throat- i think that the orb in the throat represents the voice of the album or the voice of tool. with the first look you see the pentacle which to a witch or magician the pentacle is symbolic of the mysteries of creation and spirit.
but the pentagram or upside-down five pointed star also known as the goat of mendez is a symbol of the occult/black magic/satanism. so in the sense it is the duality of the of good and evil within the person and within the album.

5th page. GOD- the significance of god in the brain ties with reflection in that you will come to find that we are all one mind capable of all that is imagined and all concieveable.

6th page. fibbonacci spirals and cross/flower- i think this is the symbol of pure energy or the spirit spiraling outward never ending echoing through eternity.

i think this is by far the greatest cover for the greatest most in depth album of all time.

cfhrevolutioncfh
06-05-2004, 11:33 PM
"There's a lot of Sacred Geometry in the artbook. Notice the flaming eyes? These are called Chakaras, energy vortexes on the body. Next is the circle of eyes. I think this is a representation of the "Golden Mean Spiral" aka "The Spiral of love". The Fibonacci Sequence can help you to better understand it and also sacred geometry. The vertical tube is called the prana channel. Our soul breaths a substance called "prana". The channel meets in one of the chakras. The chakra in which the prana meets depends on where you are mentally, emotionally, and dimensionally "tuned." The Prana then connects with the cystalline grid around the body (the star tetrahedron inscribed in a sphere behind the man). He is also glowing. This could be the Merkaba, The vehicle of ascension. It could also be some kind of aura.
There is also an image that resembles a cross on the backside of the cover. This is called a Dorje. Symbolically a dorje represents the "thunderbolt of enlightenment", that abrupt change in human consciousness which is recognised by all the great religions as a pivotal episode in the lives of mystics and saints. I also find it interesting that on the one before last page there is the word GOD written in the dissected man's brain. Is this a message? Possibly that god is just something we tell ourselves is real to attain a grasp on life, or that god is inside of us all, but we just need to "wake up" and find him/her."

All of the above information was taken from AEstheticTruth.com, an excellent site on Sacred Geometry and other TooL related mysticism.