PDA

View Full Version : Is this song on the new live dvd??

3rdeye
01-13-2003, 11:55 AM
i was wondering if this song will be on the new live dvd. hopefully it will. It is great song and it should be

SmileyGladhands
01-13-2003, 01:26 PM
I would say I'd hope so too, because I love the song. But I have a couple of copies of the few times they did it live, and it sounds like crap. Maynard doesn't sing it like he does on the album, I guess his voice can't handle it. He uses this effect for his voice, very similar to the effect he uses on "No Quarter". It just sounds shitty. But then again, the recordings I have may just be shitty.

3rdeye
01-13-2003, 02:17 PM
but i heard they only did that song like once live because of his throat. i also like the voice effect that he used on "Eulogy" it sounds awesome.

Cronos
01-13-2003, 06:12 PM
Yea Maynard's effects with his voice are truly amazing. I sometimes will try and imitate some of them, and I'll sing along.

I can do his APC version 3 Libras, a little of Judith, but it's difficult to do the parts where Billy Howerdel also chimes in with Maynard. Naturally, since I'm trying to imitate both voices.

But I can't really do screams like Maynard. Especially Ticks & Leeches. Eulogy was cool too, I was like how is he doing that? Is he holding the microphone weird? It was like he was muffing he voice by holding his hands over his mouth. I tried it, and it kind of sounds like what he's doing. If you guys know what I'm talking about.

SmileyGladhands
01-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 3rdeye
but i heard they only did that song like once live because of his throat. i also like the voice effect that he used on "Eulogy" it sounds awesome.

I'm sure it probably sounded awesome at the show. But I like it the way it is on the album. If they release it on DVD though, I'm sure it will sound alot better. Maybe I kinda do want it now that I think about it some more. LOL

I agree with both of you, the effect he uses is really cool. Eugoly's is definately awesome.

the reverend
01-13-2003, 07:30 PM
When they came to Australia two years ago Maynard didnt have that effect during Eulogy. Well not that i can remember anyway. I doubt that they played Ticks and Leeches in one of the final six shows. I would know for sure but somehow the reviews got lost or something!!???

Professor Frink
01-13-2003, 07:32 PM
The reviews are back up, but I don't remember seeing T&L. It indeed would be sweet, I've got a video from deadohiosky.net of a performance sometime in 2001. Even though Maynard is nowhere to be seen and is using his voice-thingy, it's still amazing. Allows Danny to steal the show for a while :)

a fire inside
01-13-2003, 08:21 PM
maynard threw out his voice for three weeks after the original recording without any effects, i dont think he'd risk it unless it was the last show...

Ahnijson_films
01-13-2003, 09:43 PM
I'm pretty sure this won't be on the live DVD. I have read that it is of only the last 6 shows, and if you read reviews of the last 6 shows, people said they could see the recording equipment (cameras and such) for the DVD. And since they didn't perform it in the last 6 shows, it's a pretty safe bet Ticks and Leeches will not be on it. I'm pretty indifferent as to whether or not it is on there, whatever songs TooL wants to include are completely up to them, their "artistic" thoughts on the matter, and how much money they want to make off of this thing, not what I want on it. hehe.

And of course, I'll buy 3 of them no matter whats on it.

Timothy
01-14-2003, 01:11 AM
The main reason I'd like to see t&l on the dvd is to hear whatever changes they have made to the song since it was recorded, as I recall reading in on of Blair's newsletters something about Justin writing a new part for the song while they were on tour. Can anyone describe any of the differences to me?

drumaster
01-14-2003, 03:08 PM
this song wont be on the dvd...though it would kick ass. Maynard threw his voice out while recording

twist
01-28-2003, 06:28 AM
But I can't really do screams like Maynard. Especially Ticks & Leeches. Eulogy was cool too, I was like how is he doing that? Is he holding the microphone weird? It was like he was muffing he voice by holding his hands over his mouth. I tried it, and it kind of sounds like what he's doing. If you guys know what I'm talking about. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think he uses a combination of overdrive, distortion and reverb to get that sound, I use these effects on some of my own songs and get the same sort of sound, but then again it is maynard singing which is unique. If you dont know what im talking about try plugging a mic into your overdrive guitar pedal and see how it sounds.

You mite wanna turn the gain down tho =D

Cronos
01-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by twist
I think he uses a combination of overdrive, distortion and reverb to get that sound[/B]

Explain these things, I'm not a big studio guy, and I don't know really how technical or not these things are. Distortion can be many things.

the reverend
01-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Has anyone found out when the DVD is being released?? I havnt been here for a few days so i was wondering if there has been any news in my absence.

Convoy_X
01-29-2003, 12:13 AM
no it will never be live at anywhere. MJK fucked up his voice recording it so the band wont let him sing it any more. it sucks i know....

fibonacci
02-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Convoy_X
no it will never be live at anywhere. MJK fucked up his voice recording it so the band wont let him sing it any more. it sucks i know....

Hey dude, it HAS been played live before, and Maynard said he would not do the song live, not the rest of the band.

Ĉon
02-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Yeah i read that, but the FAQ hasnt been updated since 2001 (I think) but i've got a live version of the song, and MJK is singing, but its through a megaphone type thing, like on the begining of No Quarter.

Convoy_X
02-28-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by fibonacci
Hey dude, it HAS been played live before, and Maynard said he would not do the song live, not the rest of the band.

oh well thats just the info i got fro mthw FAQ i am erong aperantly.

eulogizer
03-06-2003, 09:46 PM
OK from what I understand this song was played ONCE last year. However, I don't believe that was in the last six shows. However, don't get too bummed out Tool did some cool stuff the last few shows. I was at the Reno show which was the one right before the last show and they played Third Eye, which I understand they rarely do or at least rarely did for this tour.

Alat
03-19-2003, 03:07 AM
sorry, thoth and drunvalo

crackerjack
03-31-2003, 04:40 PM
I don't believe M was using his little megaphone(at least not the shows I heard)
there was definitely a phaser and distortion in there though
one of the first reviews of it said that he used an effect that the opening band, Fantomas, was using

swaps
03-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by eulogizer
OK from what I understand this song was played ONCE last year.

From the TDN reviews, looks like T&L was played eight times in 2002.

spyd3r
04-01-2003, 02:47 PM
Im pretty sure MJK sang T&L during the 2002 halloween show that I was at. (Long Island Show)

But I would kill to see thirdeye live once more. :P

crackerjack
04-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by spyd3r
Im pretty sure MJK sang T&L during the 2002 halloween show that I was at. (Long Island Show)

But I would kill to see thirdeye live once more. :P

were you on acid or something?
how can you be pretty sure?

spyd3r
04-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by crackerjack
were you on acid or something?

Hmmm

I think thats pretty obvious. :P
All I think I remeber is that MJK hid himself pretty well on stage with the black body paint, Justin was in PJ's with an orange mask and Adam was a priest. (Danny was in a lakers jersy , pffffft)
Theres nothing like a Tool concert when your frying.