PDA

View Full Version : A simple metaphor

maninwater
01-13-2003, 02:13 AM
I think that Stinkfist has two clear meanings, the first is a metaphor for the second.
On the surface the song is hinting at the obvious, fingering a girl. but as the song goes on, the finger becomes a knuckle and an elbow and then a shoulder, indicating that the recipiant isn't feeling a thing. This is desensitization.
so bearing in mind that the song is a metaphor for being desensitized, who or what is desensitized to who or what?
i think it is speaking about television/media, and how we have all become apathetic for many reasons.
A) references to boredom (what do you do when YOU are bored?) and also it says " constant over stimulation numbs me" this is more toward the desensitization theory.
B) "i can help you change tired moments into pleasure, say the word and we'll be well upon our way." a t.v. helps millions of americans do just that, change tired moments to pleasure.
C) the very icon for the album is a television with some unusual constant stimulus. im reffering to the aenima box thing. weve all seen it.
ive read a lot of posts that think this song is talking about a relationship. i dont exactly think this is wrong, but ask yourself.... a relationship between what? i see the way that much of the lyrics can be about a relationship, but i think that it is in there to show our (as a masses) dependancy toward t.v. and how we have become desensitized to the horrors of everyday life. and all else.
listen to the song with this in mind, and notice the verse that says, "desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?"