PDA

View Full Version : First real song by TOOL?

povvy
11-19-2002, 09:37 PM
I think that "Maynard's Dick" is possibly the first song TOOL ever composed and performed themselves.

I think this way because:

a) It sounds very "Opiate"-ish.

b) I have seen/heard many times before that the band's name came from them talking about taking Maynard "out to the toolshed." The "toolshed" line is a lyric in the song. If they had just named themselves, it might have been one thing fresh on Maynard's mind.

c) It seemed "important" enough to be put on Salival.

I might be way off here, but it's just a theory.

Patrick.

Chris_Brightwell
11-19-2002, 09:40 PM
It is, indeed, an Opiate-era song.
b) I have seen/heard many times before that the band's name came from them talking about taking Maynard "out to the toolshed." The "toolshed" line is a lyric in the song. If they had just named themselves, it might have been one thing fresh on Maynard's mind.
I'd never thought of that. I knew the old Toolshed references (hence t.d.n's subdomain), but hadn't caught the Toolshed lyrics before. Thanks.
Indeed.
Great post. Thanks.

nyfeh
11-20-2002, 02:08 PM
definately sounds like it may have been the first song they wrote together, probably just to get aquanted with each other... the song is quite generic,... and not even serious,atleast i dont think it is...

Norfleet
11-20-2002, 05:41 PM
distortiononline.com has a great big list of nearly every show tool has done, and most of these have the setlists with them. They've actually played Maynard's Dick live twice, a long long long time ago. Actually, only once; One time was supposedly just a "tease" after Intolerance. At least that's what I remember reading anyways...

roadie
11-22-2002, 12:04 PM
Patrick -

My understanding from certain parties involved with Opiate (who would know) is that Maynard's Dick is indeed an old song, but the recording on Salival is not the version recorded during the Opiate sessions...unless his memory was hazy. But there was definitely a recording of the song done in the very early days. As far as it being the "first song" - no indication was given at the time I talked to him about it that the song was really anything extrordinary.

But it makes for an interesting conversation.

-Roadie

Originally posted by povvy
I think that "Maynard's Dick" is possibly the first song TOOL ever composed and performed themselves.

Patrick.

povvy
11-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by roadie
Patrick -

My understanding from certain parties involved with Opiate (who would know) is that Maynard's Dick is indeed an old song, but the recording on Salival is not the version recorded during the Opiate sessions...unless his memory was hazy. But there was definitely a recording of the song done in the very early days. As far as it being the "first song" - no indication was given at the time I talked to him about it that the song was really anything extrordinary.

But it makes for an interesting conversation.

-Roadie

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Patrick.

noisetherapy
11-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Very good theory... it does seem the style around the opiate era... i realized... it is the only tool song that is very basic simple 4/4 laid back music... maybe .... just MAYBE the first time all four of them got together they said... "hey lets just improvise something... to get things going.. ok lets just do it like this... intro for a couple bars... drums come in... and vocals.... then after a couple bars we'll just go into a chorus.... just follow what i do ..... ok ok ok ??" i did that in my band once... and it sorta turned out the same... all easy and peaceful for the start and then turns beligerent and fuckin cool at the end.

just an idea

povvy
11-23-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by JeffElston
just an idea

Yes, it is very simplistic - another piece of evidence. ;-)

Patrick.

Willaken
11-24-2002, 01:08 PM
I always thought of this song as a parody of Creed. Since they're always making jokes about them. You have your acoustic guitar rhythm, alt rock style bass line, and alt song structure.

Aranedain
11-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Listening to the quality of the recording...it probably wasn't recorded during the years when Paul was in the band....I bet they recorded it recently before Salival.

Artemis
11-25-2002, 03:07 PM
ok, maybe one of the members is really a pop guru and actually hates tool's music and finally got one of 'his' songs in there.

but eriously, i always thought tool did this song kind of as a joke, to show that they can do pop songs if they want to. (and well). maybe they could have been pop stars? (ha!).

but i like your theory of it being one of their earliest tho. makes sense...

AdvancedMerkaba
11-26-2002, 03:13 AM
It does have the overall feel of an Opiate era song, but Maynard uses more of a vocal range on Maynard's Dick than most of the tracks on Opiate. His voice also sounds a bit more refined than on the Opiate tracks.

This may all be in my imagination, but I tend to agree with the statement that it's a very old song re-recorded for Salival. For one, they DID record No Quarter over for the boxed set, so why not Maynard's Dick as well?

ragna16
11-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it sounds like an old song that was re-done for the box-set.

Tokes
11-26-2002, 06:47 PM
Anyone ever noticed the chords in the verse are practically the same as the chorus in "Alive" by Pearl Jam? Just heard that song on the radio recently and thought "hey... that sounds like Maynard's Dick..." But then again they're very simple chords... E G D A... if it were a comment there it would probably be how easy it is to write a song thats catchy yet has no deep-rooted meaning.

Spiral out, keep going.
- Tokes

Jerk off
12-03-2002, 10:55 AM
I have noticed that. Its kinda cool.
I also think this is a re-recording of an older song, it just sounds really simple. Almost like they jammed it out, but that's just my simple opinion from my simple mind. : P

MW

Think for yourself. Question Authority.

criesofcarrots
12-07-2002, 09:09 PM
i would most wholeheartedly agree that while it is opiate-era, it was re-recorded fopr salival like no quarter. don't think it was paul era, nor do i think maynard would have sung like that so long ago. think children of the anachronistic dynasty maynard for something that old.

brilliantname
12-14-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Tokes
Anyone ever noticed the chords in the verse are practically the same as the chorus in "Alive" by Pearl Jam? Just heard that song on the radio recently and thought "hey... that sounds like Maynard's Dick..." But then again they're very simple chords... E G D A... if it were a comment there it would probably be how easy it is to write a song thats catchy yet has no deep-rooted meaning.

Spiral out, keep going.
- Tokes

Yes! The bass near the end of "Alive" is the exact same as the chord progression in "Maynard's Dick". It kind of reminds me of that saying that if you had so many monkeys type randomly at a typewriter for so long that you would get the works of Shakespere (who, by the way, was a anti-semite who married his cousin). I'm not sure if that was their first song, but it's something for the brain to chew on. (mmm... mind gum...)

lateralus1213
01-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by brilliantname
the works of Shakespere (who, by the way, was a anti-semite who married his cousin

Im sorry, but i really hate when people do stuff like this. all humans have faults, the fact that he hated jews and married his cousin doesnt demean him at all. fdr married his cousin. the whole western world hated jews. so what? poe was an extreme alcoholic and drug addict, but he sure wrote some good shit. i really do hate when people try to down talk a famous writer/poet/anything just because of their values. you people are the reason why the national enquierer is still on the shelves

ManiacalClown
01-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Tokes

Spiral out, keep going.
- Tokes

I'm not one to comment much, but I figured I had to register to defend one of my other musical obsessions, Pearl Jam. "Alive" is not a song without a deep-rooted meaning, not at all. It is, in fact, part one of Pearl Jam's "Mamasan Trilogy" (Alive->Once->Footsteps). In "Alive," a young man's father dies when he's quite young, and as he grows older, his mother, who was very much in love with her deceased husband, notices that her son is starting to look just like him. She ends uo molesting him, leading to the boy's questioning of his self-worth and eventual degeneration into insanity. Later in "Once," he is much older and so far gone that he goes on a killing spree. He is eventually caught and, in "Footsteps," reflects on his life and his mother.

As for "Maynard's Dick," it sure is funny, isn't it?

Xanadu
01-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Its in the faq...

Martin
02-23-2003, 04:10 PM
sounds pre-opiate

brilliantname
03-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by lateralus1213
Im sorry, but i really hate when people do stuff like this. all humans have faults, the fact that he hated jews and married his cousin doesnt demean him at all. fdr married his cousin. the whole western world hated jews. so what? poe was an extreme alcoholic and drug addict, but he sure wrote some good shit. i really do hate when people try to down talk a famous writer/poet/anything just because of their values. you people are the reason why the national enquierer is still on the shelves

What's even worse than people trying to talk down a famous poet is someone self-righteously preaching about something that noone honestly gives a fuck about anyway.

sead
01-17-2004, 06:40 AM
sweat, cold and ugly.. then maynard's dick?
right.

and yes, i agree it's definately been re-recorded.
as for it being "opiate-era" .. it just doesn't seem to fit at all.

Chris_Brightwell
01-17-2004, 07:05 AM
[...] as for [Maynard's Dick] being "opiate-era" .. it just doesn't seem to fit at all.Whether it fits or not, it's an Opiate-era song.

They played it July 25, 1992 and they played a teaser of it on January 27, 1993. If that doesn't make it "Opiate-era," I don't know what does.

cfhrevolutioncfh
02-09-2004, 05:08 PM
i have a bootleg video that i aquired from a friend where tool plays at the mason jar in august of 92. and the last song they play which is more of an encore is maynards dick. it sounds just like the salival version. it definetely was one of their first songs.

uncledexterity
02-20-2004, 06:53 PM

Actually, as far as Edgar Allen Poe goes, he wasn't a drug addict....at least not at first. Due to his distaste for the critics of the time period, and the subsequent vocalization of that distaste, the critics wrote things that simply weren't true. Essentially, they made up stories about drug addiction. People simply accepted it as fact, thus, ironically leading Poe to a life of addiction.

Same essentially goes for Jefferson. All those stories you hear about him fathering the children of his slaves was made up by his political adversaries. Just thought that was a relatively interesting tidbit.

ArmtheArmless
02-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Its also the only Tool song that the guitar is played in standard tuning. This could be because Adam only started using primarily heavy drop d powerchords once Tool found its niche a little better (just a guess, I have no idea if this is true at all).

It also has a tiny bit of smashing pumpkins influenced sound to it, which is a style it would make sense for musicians of their type at the time to try and emulate a little bit. Again, I have no idea if this has any truth.

CyberSlave
03-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Maynard's voice did not sound like that in 1992.

I think they wrote it as either a joke or either a sample song of what they were capable of. Then they rerecorded it either for Aenima or before Salival.

I don't think it has any hidden meaning at all whatsoever.

AllforUnity
03-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Maynards voice sounded fine in 1992.

MrMcPheezy
03-25-2004, 06:28 PM

Patrick.

Whoa. I remeber reading this when it was first posted. I didn't realize at the time who povvy was, and I was unaware of his greatness. Damn, this is from hella deep ago.

AllforUnity
03-25-2004, 06:47 PM
You know...TOOL has been a band since 1990, not 1992...they had other gigs before 1992, opening, and little shops and such. This was not the first TOOL song to ever come out, the first song they ever played was Hush, l believe.

povvy
05-15-2004, 09:58 PM
You know...TOOL has been a band since 1990, not 1992...they had other gigs before 1992, opening, and little shops and such. This was not the first TOOL song to ever come out, the first song they ever played was Hush, l believe.

Oh ok... so you were in there when they first rehearsed and wrote a song? You better tell us about that experience. ;-)

Patrick.

Jesus
08-14-2004, 05:23 PM
They had demos before Opiate, from about 1991 I believe.

Wether or not Maynard's Dick was written before that is up in the air...but the oldest existing recordings are of Hush, Jerk-Off, Sober, and Cold and Ugly I believe...

God bless.

Shinji
07-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Maybe it's a private joke about the logo made by Cam De Leon for the demos even before Opiate was made ?

one slip
07-25-2007, 03:15 PM
What logo? Adam Jones I belive came up with the wrench logo if thats the one your talking about.

Ghostwriter
07-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Hhhmmm... I think this song was written after they atleast gained some minor success because it makes me think of "groupies" and "goldiggers" wanting to get a piece of Maynard. You can look the song up on Youtube and they indeed were playing it during the Opiate-era though.

emir7
07-28-2007, 06:14 PM
That's actually a pretty good thought. I didn't think of LAMC/Maynard's Dick of anything other than a funny filler for the cd portion of Salival.

Esurient4Truth
08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't believe C.A.D. was Maynard's fist band he was in, I believe the TexA.N.S were. Then again, I'm not really sure, nor do I care.

Esurient4Truth
08-22-2007, 04:38 PM
TexA.N.S. was formed in 1985, but Maynard didn't sing at all (not even backup), but he played bass guitar. C.A.D. was formed in 1986, and three members from TexA.N.S. joined him, along with a new bassist. So yeah, you're right. I never said it was his first band though...

I believe he was also responsible for the drum synths in both bands - though I don't think he was "spiritually influenced" at this time.

I don't think Maynard took a spiritual direction in his music until Justin came along. That's just my opinion though.

He had an interesting beginning.

Eulogy33
08-26-2007, 10:19 AM
it probably is TOOL's 1st song...either way, its kickass. Its currently my mypsace profile song.

slamminsalmon
08-26-2007, 10:52 AM
i think this song shows they can play the forumlaic radio friendly songs, and kick ass doing so. i think its tools way of saying "bend over", to the plethora of nirvana like bands that came out of no where around that time.

its a good listen but seems more of a joke song more than anything.

Eulogy33
08-26-2007, 04:30 PM
yea, it probably was ment to be a joke....just like tool was originally meant to be a joke band. Theres a good article about them in the April issue of Revolver magazine.