PDA

View Full Version : counting

gobbla
01-12-2003, 04:20 PM
as everyone else has (probably too much), i started trying to count the time signatures in this song, and i when i was doing so, i found that at the end of the "chorus", it would end in 8/8 instead of 7/8 as the last of the sequence would go, check this out and let me know if anyone else hears this, i might be wrong but i'm pretty sure it always ends by going 9/8, 8/8, 8/8

46&2
01-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Nope, it definitely ends in 7/8 time. It almost feels cut off. Here's a tip for counting time signatures which may be throwing you off.. intead of saying to youself "sev-en" just say "sev" or something like that. Seven will mix up times because it has two syllables.

Anyway... its 7/8 time, for sure.

Hope this helps.

holy reality
01-13-2003, 05:34 PM
yeah.... i had my guitar teacher help me with the first heavy part of the song, he loves tool but had never listened to that album.... he immediately commented on the strange time signatures and said they were awesome.... and towards the end of the first riff he counted to seven

Unhuman Elactic
01-31-2003, 08:11 PM
the last bit of the chorus is realy 8/8, its either that or you lump an extra semi quaver on to the following verse or what ever

pushthis
03-01-2003, 01:05 AM
^^^ agreed that it is definitely 8/8. Whether the last measure is 8/8 or it's te first beat of the next measure. The guitar and bass stop playing after 8 beats on the last measure of the chorus, for sure.