PDA

View Full Version : The Third Eye Theory

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
04-27-2004, 04:38 PM
I know there is a theory, (or maybe its fact?) that there is a third eye between your two eyes, and its like in your head or something? i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this theory/fact or where i could find information on it.

Ming
04-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Not literally. The idea is the "vision" that comes from elsewhere aside from light entering the pupils, etc. Basically, the "third eye" is a metaphor, but there are plenty who would probably argue.

mrman
04-27-2004, 07:24 PM
That is a pretty good theory but i will have to kind of disagree. From my interpration i believe that song is about firstly taking drugs to unlock your third eye and then finally reaching it with out drugs. It also directly relates to the bill hicks quotes that are in the beginning.

Ming
04-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I wasn't referring to the song, but rather the poster's question of whether there was a third eyeball buried somewhere in our foreheads.

3rd Æye
04-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Actually I remember hearing somewhere that a part of the brain like points out at precisely where a "third eye" would be and the part of the brain deals with stimulation or something and also animals don't have it only people. If anyone knows what i am talking about say something about it too.

Metamorphosis
05-06-2004, 07:09 PM
I agree with Ming that the third eye is a metaphor... think of it like this, your 2 eyes are used for light-awareness (vision). your third eye is for spiritual awareness, the more spiritually aware you are the more your 'third eye' is "open". if your third eye is closed then its inactive and you arent spiritually aware at all, whereas if it is 'open' you are spiritually aware to a certain extent, your level of perception increased. the third eye is actaully a chakra, which is in relation to spiritual perception and understanding.

crow011
05-06-2004, 07:11 PM
its called the pineal gland, and was regarded by descartes as the solution to the mind-body problem . . .

pushit_on_me
05-13-2004, 04:16 PM
I know there is a theory, (or maybe its fact?) that there is a third eye between your two eyes, and its like in your head or something? i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this theory/fact or where i could find information on it.

Actually, there is a part of our brain called the pineal body (a tiny gland in the brain stem) which is nicknamed our "Third Eye", which is theorized to be extremely sensitive to light, and may be linked to Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Neptune[Out]
05-15-2004, 02:17 AM
The third eye is the "eye" of our spiritual self.
Ie if one has an active third eye they are spiritual aware and in contact with their feelings and emotions.

Orph8998
05-15-2004, 07:35 AM
its called the pineal gland, and was regarded by descartes as the solution to the mind-body problem . . .

yup, you got it...

it is also is linked to psychedelics

PRNinja23
05-23-2004, 06:20 PM
']The third eye is the "eye" of our spiritual self.
Ie if one has an active third eye they are spiritual aware and in contact with their feelings and emotions.

Exactly. The Third Eye is not literally an eye on your face. The first eye is the eye of the flesh, that sees the physical world, the second eye is the eye of the mind, that sees the conceptual world, and the third eye is the eye of the spirit/soul/Self/God that sees the reality beyond mere appearances.

fingolfin_314
05-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Exactly. The Third Eye is not literally an eye on your face. The first eye is the eye of the flesh, that sees the physical world, the second eye is the eye of the mind, that sees the conceptual world, and the third eye is the eye of the spirit/soul/Self/God that sees the reality beyond mere appearances.

I really like the perspective you put this into... nicely done.

Ming
05-27-2004, 09:59 AM
And the fourth eye is the brown? And the fifth eye is beer goggles. And the sixth eye is a partridge in a pear tree ... and the thirteenth eye is -oh let us not speak of the fabled 13th eye. It's mere mention is said to invoke....

EvolutionOfMind
05-29-2004, 09:36 AM
I agree with all the people that have said the third eye is a way to explain the third (so far the final) line of sight. The third eye is the eye that looks out from the center of your being and puts you where you are. this eye is almost the other side to overthinking and analyzing.... your third eye connects the body to the mind.

dagger_root
05-29-2004, 11:35 PM
I agree with Ming that the third eye is a metaphor... think of it like this, your 2 eyes are used for light-awareness (vision). your third eye is for spiritual awareness, the more spiritually aware you are the more your 'third eye' is "open". if your third eye is closed then its inactive and you arent spiritually aware at all, whereas if it is 'open' you are spiritually aware to a certain extent, your level of perception increased. the third eye is actaully a chakra, which is in relation to spiritual perception and understanding.

I completly agree with you. Although i find most anilyze too in-depth in these theories the possibility of 'third eye linking to spiritual awareness is very true. Dont ask me why i believe this. after years of repeatedly listening tothird eye' you begin to understand the meaning of the song. the meaning hit me one day as i was sitting there, i realized your third eye' was not your naked eye, or the image that seeped through it, but rather your views and how you deciphered life, wether it be spiritual or not.

Triangular_Vision
06-13-2004, 07:31 PM

The third eye is the brains only sense beyond the bio-electrical signals that are created by the sensory organs. While it is located at the crown center chakra, it itself is not a chakra. The actual eye resides in the whole mind, or the nature of the mind. There is no specific place. It is only oriented to the center of the forhead for visual aspects such as art. And the only reason it is in the center of the forhead, is because it should be painted in the center of the brain, but you have to be able to see it. The third eye allows you to see, feel, and percieve things beyond our physical perceptions and actually experiance the spirit and the source (supreme consciousness). The consciouse is another part of the third eye, along with the ability to dream. In our dreams lie the key, keep swimming...

g-bay-be
06-16-2004, 08:03 PM
MY FRIENDS! the third eye theory or thought originates in hindu thoughts. the third eye points inward and see's our spirtual body. Its not an actual eye ball. but more of a spirtual body part. Kiinda like your soul and consience

Machiavelli70
07-10-2004, 04:38 PM
The Third Eye Theory (or at least my interpretation of "THE" Third Eye Theory; what Third Eye means to me) was developed by the Indian (that's Asiatic) spiritual philosopher Sri Aurobindo. To be vague in favor of length [and to encourage you all to research it on your own], I believe the "Third Eye" is one's connection to the universal subconscious, and by "opening" it, you are opening yourself to whatever it may contain.

Apocalypse_ænima
07-18-2004, 02:36 PM
The Third eye is located in your brain, It is also called the Pineal gland, The pineal glnd in humans is unknown for its use, Since it is the shape of an eye, It is called the third eye. Many people have beliefs on the third eye, but dont be so skeptical about it

shi wei hsi ming
07-23-2004, 06:13 AM
The Third eye is located in your brain, It is also called the Pineal gland, The pineal glnd in humans is unknown for its use, Since it is the shape of an eye, It is called the third eye. Many people have beliefs on the third eye, but dont be so skeptical about it

First of all, something to think on. The pineal gland is responsible for dumping a large quantity of DMT into your system right before you die. If I remember correctly, it dumps a heavy coctail of psychedelics. ('DMT: The Spirit Molecule' by Dr. Rick Strassman). That's why DMT experiences are so often drenched with afterlife archetypes.

As for opening your third eye, I think that Alex Grey does a good job of describing what can be seen if you look through you third eye. If you would like to read more about how the realm that the third eye perceives operates, I would recommend checking out http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos648.htm.

Can I post links here? If not, I apologize. Anyway, I hope this sparks something somewhere...

(-)Phosphorescence(-)
07-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Third eye between the eyes... nah i doubt thats what maynard meant.
someone once told me, how our own language limits us from understanding very few, vital things. we dont have words for everything, therefore no understanding.
i THINK maynard is trying to find acceptance between him and his son in this song, talking about his drug problems, about his childhood, how he's changed etc... he yells out "prying open my third eye" i think of it as him trying to see something others dont, a quick answer to recover the relationship between him and his son, to get rid of his ignorance and make him a better role model for such a child. "wiping the web and the dew from my withered eye" probably indicates how he's become so drawn into this thing we call "realtiy" which he later changed to his own little world. the third eye could represent an eyeball on our forehead between the eyes, that would be interesting, it can represent an invisible intelligence we may pick up somewhere as well. if he is talking about his son, he did miss him alot at one point, maybe maynards trying to tell us to open our own "third eye" to see through situations with ease, and take in all the history and knowledge through each experience to use for the next.

-just thoughts.

dawn
07-24-2004, 08:21 PM

Presactly...located in the diencephalon...close relation to olfactory glands...

primal...

...it is also is linked to psychedelics

It's the seratonin...The norepinephrine is directly related to how your body reacts to Methamphetamines...

It is also the gland that regulates sleep patterns...

Lots of good stuff...

(-)Phosphorescence(-)
07-25-2004, 04:49 PM
i just noticed, my user name on the boards looks like a penis...haha

x7 Lateralus 7x
10-01-2004, 05:40 AM

x7 Lateralus 7x
10-01-2004, 05:48 AM
oops, i made a blank one =\

anyways, i think this song has something to do with buddism.
in buddism they have that fat buddah guy with a red dot in the center of his forehead.
in buddism, this represents their "third eye." buddism is all about living in the present, and having no worries of whatever that has happend in the past that depresses you. its also about having no worries in the future. personally in this song, i think maynard is not only trying to find such a careless state of mind, but also he is trying to search for who he was before he became what he is today. i think he's singing about his son, being a role model. and of course children would run away from those who dont seem so "holy" or safe. i think maynard is trying to find what innocence was, and what it meant to him, to be a better father to his son. and when it comes to the third eye idea i have, i think he wants that careless state of mind for both him and his son, to just leave the ignorance in his parenting with his son, in the past; so that the future wouldnt hold the history of his failures.

this song also links to drugs, since they make us careless, and happy =)
WEEEEED \m/

Mutilated Lips
10-13-2004, 06:40 AM
oops, i made a blank one =\

anyways, i think this song has something to do with buddism.
in buddism they have that fat buddah guy with a red dot in the center of his forehead.
in buddism, this represents their "third eye." buddism is all about living in the present, and having no worries of whatever that has happend in the past that depresses you. its also about having no worries in the future.

Buddhism is mostly about attaining enlightenment, but I won't disagree with the "no worries" part. Buddha never had a red dot on his forehead, either. You're thinking of Hinduism. What the dot is called, I can't remember or even find anything about it online, I didn't look very hard though. I thought it was called a Bendhi or something like that.

x7 Lateralus 7x
10-25-2004, 05:59 AM
then i guess i have misheard what my jewish friend had said lol

MentalSanityOff
10-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Upon hearing it for the first time, my friend immediately said that the "third eye" obviously refers to your asshole
Prying open my third eye? Goatse
(sick...)

But then again, I do think he's full of shit (no pun intended), and id hafta say ill stick to my lewis carrol interpretation for the moment

Also, the red dot that hindu women (i dont believe men will ever wear them) is a representation of something to do with marriage, perhaps it means that they're married, as to ward off others? kind of like a wedding ring. I'm not sure though, learned about that stuff 4 years ago, and I don't think it has any relation to the song, so I won't bother looking it up

Machiavelli70
10-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Yeah, it's in regards to marriage traditionally, though it's become a fashion statement now.