PDA

View Full Version : My opinoin on "Prison Sex"

Pitts
04-20-2004, 08:41 AM
This song may or may not have its truth behind it with rape and forced religion. Your all right in your own way but this song I have come to believe is for this reason and this reason only,discussion, Maynard is all about mind fucking us and making us form our own opinoins, its about making us use our heads for a change instead of pissing it all away on trippin' out on these kick ass songs(which are awesome to trip to) anyways Maynard has a plan for each one of his songs, but this is only my opinoin. The man is a genuis!

g-bay-be
04-20-2004, 08:29 PM
uhh dude, maybe its about child abuse

Pitts
04-21-2004, 07:16 PM
uhhh dude, maybe it's not.

AllforUnity
04-22-2004, 06:34 AM
Maynard isn't about mind fucking us. lt's just up to you to be intelligent enough to interpret his songs. This song is about self-abuse.

BSTOOL
04-23-2004, 03:48 AM
you even said yourself that he wants us to have our own opinions so why would he mind fuck us to make us think like him? ever think about that.

The song itself is self explanitory

AllforUnity
04-26-2004, 11:20 AM
As the whole album is pretty self-explanitory. Most of the songs on this album, and Opiate, aren't as "deep", l suppose, as Ænima and Lateralus.

Undertolerance
05-17-2004, 09:19 AM
I feel that all the songs on Undertow are pretty deep but then again I am one for getting more out of a little than most people. So it could just be me. And I have never been quite sure how exactly to take this song, though I quite enjoy it. Its among my favorite to read at open poetry nights and local coffee houise's. This song can be taken so many different ways and I have not decided on just one, but for the sake of not making a wicked long post I will leave for yet another day when I not so tired and have more time to express them! take thee care, all.

hunter
05-18-2004, 08:27 PM
i always thought it was about being forced to do somthing and haveing to do it all your life but realy it has such a positive sound to it,the music isnt dark,but the words are every time i listen to it,i picture someone in a dark place,at some brainwashing camp being forced into beliving somthing they dont want, being told to do things in spite of themselvs so they wont get hurt.but realy they are well thats what i think...

munted_soul
05-20-2004, 03:26 AM
And having shit, blood an cum on your hands? I don't want to know what you get told to do.

hunter
05-25-2004, 07:37 PM
well it could be like a reward system,if the prisoner or someone does things to someone else than the gard or whoevers in charge will give them a reward,and then given time like 10 minutes to wank hence the "cum on my hands" but the blood could be from being beaten and the shit maybe some kind of torture......who knows??

rockfan7
05-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Who cares.. Prison Sex is the best fuckin song on the album BY FAR

NOeggs23
06-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Who cares.. Prison Sex is the best fuckin song on the album BY FAR

It is good, but u can't beat undertow, 4 degrees, and flood those songs are so much better.

rockfan7
06-01-2004, 02:10 PM
IMO Prison Sex is really underrated. Lots of people have it in the middle or low on their lists (as far as the Undertow album goes). Personally, I think it's a masterpiece.

But that's just my opinion. Which means... nothing

hunter
06-14-2004, 01:01 AM
yep yep those three songs are the best on the album!!!!!

Harold
06-14-2004, 12:24 PM
And having shit, blood an cum on your hands? I don't want to know what you get told to do.

my very same opinion there... sometimes we seem to be forced to look beyond the small picture, when the answer is just right there.

Nirvanoid68
06-17-2004, 11:14 PM
*shakes his head*

Can you guys ever take anything metaphorically?

Just think of it that way for a second. Using one thing to convey something else.

And then it might make sense in more ways than just the simple meaning of the title.

Triangular_Vision
06-19-2004, 09:16 PM
As the whole album is pretty self-explanitory. Most of the songs on this album, and Opiate, aren't as "deep", l suppose, as Ænima and Lateralus.

in my opinion, most songs from tool are about as "deep..."

TheIronRaven
10-22-2004, 11:05 PM
mind fucking haha i think your right he is mind fucking us cuz it got me thinking thats for sure. I wish i could mind fuck people. O well.

laters
tir

lou
02-26-2005, 11:09 PM
well it could be like a reward system,if the prisoner or someone does things to someone else than the gard or whoevers in charge will give them a reward,and then given time like 10 minutes to wank hence the "cum on my hands" but the blood could be from being beaten and the shit maybe some kind of torture......who knows??

haha i like to generally grab a quote from the board that catches its excessities...
think about it hunter? the shit came from someones ass, maybe the guy was like the expression ''beat the shit out of'' j/k maybe someone found temporary sanity
in it, whether its the agressor or victim, the shit blood and cum can be on both hands because it can or is repetive like a circle to do unto others whats been done,
psychologically this can mean maynard thinks something done to others is most likely our upbringing, genetic factors as a whole, i make the claim for myself if im raped or was i wouldnt do it to others but can it really be proven or disproven
we dont continue a full circle such as the sexual abuse paradigm seems to display evidence of?

smk4813
02-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Let's not too specific here or otherwise we're going to end up disagreeing on everything.

Yes, its probably about some form of forced experience (i.e. abuse, sexual or drug or otherwise, or forced religion, or hell, maybe just being forced to come to terms with something.) Maybe you were forced out of your parents house after 18 years of lighting the furniture on fire. Maybe you were raped by a donkey during your trip to Mexico. Maybe a southern Baptist or a mormon or a witchdoctor or whatever pissed on your new car and said, "Believe or I'll keep going."

Who knows but I think the one thing we can all agree on is that its about a forced experience of some sort.

Left_Standing
02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Allright here comes my opinion and if your going to read it... well thanks.
Prison Sex is absolutely one of my favorite tool songs. It does have a deep meaning like almost all Tool songs, and definitely has a rawness to it that is typical of Tool. What I think you all are missing is that some read into to hard and forget that you have to feel it as well, others just don't read into it at all.
Prison Sex, in my opinion, is about human interaction on the level of someone taking from another on a beyond physical level. When someone takes from you your dignity and heart and rob your emotions and a piece of who you are they take it for your life. 'You know it hurt me but I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive even if signs seem to tell me otherwise' Maynard is focusing on acts where someone takes that part of you on purpose to benifit their life and their needs. It leaves a hole. Any one who has had something of that level occur to them has to find an action that allows them to feel like they have taken that aspect of their life back though it never really can happen 'temporary sanity'. The problem is: does this make you any better than the person that robbed you of that? That is where the 'I have come full circle' comes from. The reason Maynard uses terms in the song like 'Shit Blood and Cum on my hands' is because it is a destructive force the person feels when he/she wants to try and regain that part of their life. Essentialy it is on the level of a person's selfish actions to hurt you causes you to become no better then they... isn't that a continuance of what they have done to you? Or in the terms of the song. 'Do unto others what has been done to you, do unto you now what has been done to me''I have come full circle'. Hey that is just my opinion I guess. Thanks for giving it your respect and reading it.

bluefire
03-01-2005, 04:41 PM
I think that Left Standing has a good point. I think i have read maynard saying that this song was definantly about the cycles of abuse. I think he also said it was about sexual abuse. I think sometimes people read to much into the lyrics, because he writes them very abstractly. I think the genius of his writing is that he focuses on the emotion he feels, not the actual circumstance. In that sense you can relate to this song and the emotions without actually ever being sexually abused.