PDA

View Full Version : Is this song one sided or two?

SmileyGladhands
01-11-2003, 08:25 AM
I've noticed on alot of the posts that many are taking this song as it's two-sided, or going back and forth between the "abuser" and "abusee". While all make sense I have another point of view.

I relate to this song on a personal level and I take it one sided. I think it's entirely the "abuser" speaking. He' is trying to say that, I don't want to hurt you. But you're hurting me and at some point I have to defend myself. You've made this happen to me before, and you're doing it again.

"Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come.

Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
But it will end no other way."

You're hitting me, your getting me to a point where I can't control my actions. I'm afraid of the person I am about to become. If you hurt me enough I will have no choice but to take you down.

"What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?"

Would I be any different then you are by hitting back?

"But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit on me."

you love me but yet you allow me to become the person I hate.

"Put me somewhere I don't wanna be.
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see.
Never wanna see that place again."

I've been here before, I don't want to be that person again.

I have an ex who had a problem controlling her hands when she got mad at me. I defended myself as much as I could, but one time she got me good, I snapped and retaliated. Luckily nothing came out of it, it was a punch in the leg, but for years I couldn't forgive myself. This song helps me cope.

The song has been broken down enough by everyone, I don't think I can add anything interesting to most of the other lines. Does anyone else see the song this way?

madmatt
01-12-2003, 03:38 AM
after listening to the song that way it does make sense, never thought of it like that though.

also:

' i had to push myself away, and you as well '

i have to get away from you before you push me into becoming something i will regret.

but there could be a thousand different meanings to this song. (as with all tool songs).
anyone else think any differently?

forty6n2
01-21-2003, 09:09 PM
in many of those real life situations the abusee loves the abuser but fears them. And doesnt leave the abuser because of fear, instead loves the abuser.

hence, "theres no love in fear"

spiralion
01-27-2003, 03:35 PM
I am reminded of a line out of a Mailyn Manson song:

"We love the abuse because it makes us feel like we are needed"

Sora
02-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Kind of seems to me with this interpretation like someone about to commit suicide. Kind of a life story thing of him dealing with himself and then the actual act at the end of the song. You all know how it goes so I'm not gonna waste time writing it. Also the "I'm alive when your touching me, alive when you shoving me down. But I'd trade it all for just a little piece of mind." kind of seems like a skytsophrenic or someone with some really deep-rooted emotional problems.