PDA

View Full Version : A thought. *for dan and mods*

Lithium
04-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi,

I know I'm a noob and all. But forgive me. This banning of members, and then posting the post that got them banned, is fucking absurd.

Knock it off.

And if your excuse is for this to be a warning to the rest of us, that's bullshit too. Just warn the offender and if they mouth off, ban em. Then delete/edit the post. What's the big deal? That takes about as much time as creating a new thread and stating the reason, posting the link to the other thread, and then spending hours/days/weeks replying to people who think you're stupid.

Also, I know that if I don't like TDN I can leave anytime. No need to point that out. I'm just trying to lighten up a point of view that may not have been considered. And if it has been, enlighten the rest of us as to why your amusement is exalted before ours.

Windir
04-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Ditto.

Pantient Mental
04-11-2004, 12:10 AM
I agree

Fatman
04-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Yes, definately, I would be waiting for the warning in my PM box in my account, but doh! i can't access it...

Windir
04-11-2004, 12:24 AM
I feel unsave here... just when you're off your guard one of the mods/admins sneak behind your back and stab a knife in it... make you kneel and kill you softly...

I'm so scared.

Lithium
04-11-2004, 12:43 AM
". . . And I get no answers. And I don't get no change . . ."

Thanks for plunking my thread down here! I was unaware we had a suggestion box! Does anyone read these?! :: turns on light and files through old suggestions ::

Jebus
04-11-2004, 02:26 AM
seriously, when posting, think about what you're posting. don't push it, and you won't get banned. i don't get where the problem is, it seems like a pretty simple policy.

Chris_Brightwell
04-11-2004, 02:40 AM
[...] [B]anning of members, and then posting the post that got them banned, is fucking absurd.

Knock it off.

And if your excuse is for this to be a warning to the rest of us, that's bullshit too. Just warn the offender and if they mouth off, ban em. Then delete/edit the post. What's the big deal? [...]
The idea, basically, is to develop a pattern.

People can come here, look at what's gotten other folks banned, read our fairly liberal (by most standards) ruleset, and decide whether this is a sandbox they want to play in or not.

Ignorance is no excuse, and we make an effort to allow other people to see what's gotten folks banned in the past. You may not necessarily agree with this, and that's fine, but that's why we do it.

We may not be 100% as far as consistency and such, but that's to be expected, really. We all do this as a hobby. I don't know about the other mods, but I sure as hell don't read every message in this place. I mouse-over most of the threads in the, "Get New Posts," listings -- but I skip over a lot of them.

seriously, when posting, think about what you're posting. don't push it, and you won't get banned.
Exactly. It's not even, "Don't push it," as much as it is, "Don't keep pushing it when you've been told to back off."

Then there are the blatantly stupid things that people do to get themselves banned.

*shrug*

Thanks for the suggestion, Lithium, but there's a method to our madness.

Windir
04-11-2004, 04:17 AM
A method for your madness?
Oh Chris... you sure know how to put it in words...

seriously, when posting, think about what you're posting. don't push it, and you won't get banned. i don't get where the problem is, it seems like a pretty simple policy.

Easy for you to say...
I would've said the same if everyone got banned who you don't like.

Some really cool people are fucking banned for lame reasons without any warnings (as far as I know)

Of course we can say that we saw it coming, but I also saw it coming that the Mods/Admins will form some kind of wall... defending their precious Mod/Admin status...

It's so stupid...
I mean.

I think I made my point in that other Thread too.
Stop fucking ban everyone, cause you'll only make it worse...
Seriously... you guys say it's a 'warning' for the rest... but it's more like an inventation for others to push the limits of you.

But whatthehell... you just have to find that out yourselves.

Sisyphos
04-11-2004, 04:32 AM
I can understand both sides, but the people who have been recently banned (I'm speaking of Neochrist and those who participated in the TDN-flood, as it seems to be called) were no good addition to TDN, they distracted rather by flaming and filling the forum with crap - and it don't tell me it wasn't obvious.

Now, in a democratic system, banning a person for those reasons wouldn't work. But it's a private message board, and therefore they have the right (read: power) to ban everyone they want: to name the reasons is a nice thing to do. I'm not visiting this board as often as others obviously do, but the people who were banned knew that their behaviour could piss of the Mods. They took the risk - and now they're gone. I think this place is better off without the majority of them.

Lithium
04-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Ok, Chris. I gotcha. But can we do something about the stickys please?

Why not state your reasoning of banning a member inside of the thread that was the problem?

Or what about some sort of time limit for the stickys? Why do they have to be permanent?

In any case, thanks for the reply Chris. I thought this was just gonna pass by. Happy easter, go eat ham and stuff. Shalaom, Y'all.

dan
04-11-2004, 08:47 AM
The reason we make a post containing a link to the post/thread that got a user banned is, that we don't want people (like you, who feel like we should be nice to everyone instead of banning them for being assholes) to think that we ban people for no reason.

even though sometimes i do it for kicks.

Windir
04-11-2004, 10:16 AM
I knew it dan... you are so mean-y...

alset
04-11-2004, 11:44 AM
And you all called P.A.B. a stupid idea.

reedc33
04-11-2004, 11:49 AM
I sense that many of your panties are bunched up.

alset
04-11-2004, 11:56 AM
He's got all our panties in a bunch...talking about himself...

He was banned, so why are your panties still in a bunch?

Lithium
04-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Yeah... I got that dan. I was saying that maybe we could do without the stickys. Also, I don't see why you have to have a discussion with people arguing with you, about banned members, if you have no intentions of changing your minds. I don't question who or why you ban whom you do. Just, why the stickys.

crow011
04-11-2004, 08:59 PM
whats the deal with warnings, anyway? . . . do you get ONE warning no matter what you do? . . .

Chris_Brightwell
04-11-2004, 09:09 PM
whats the deal with warnings, anyway? . . . do you get ONE warning no matter what you do? . . .
For the most part, yeah.

Floods and pr0n and such will get immedi-bans.

crow011
04-11-2004, 09:18 PM
so, neochrist was informed he was being a dick before he got banned, right? . . .

crow011
04-11-2004, 09:21 PM
also, what i want to know is, why isnt there a place where i can find out how many warnings i get, why i would get banned, and so many other questions, available? . . .

i just checked the faq, and it was as useless as tits on a bull . . .

Chris_Brightwell
04-11-2004, 10:20 PM
so, neochrist was informed he was being a dick before he got banned, right? . . .
I dunno. I didn't do the banning.

Lithium
04-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Immediban. Boom. Tough actin' Tanactin!

Very catchy Chris. ;]

Scroter
05-01-2004, 07:00 AM
For the most part, yeah.

Floods and pr0n and such will get immedi-bans.
and saying "fuck dan" i guess...

crow011
05-03-2004, 06:53 PM
people say "fuck crow011" all the time, and no one gets banned . . .

Lithium
05-04-2004, 04:38 AM
Did you know, that if you even JOKE about killing the president, it's a felony?

Maybe Dan has a big head? o,O

Thrakandor
05-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Maybe Dan has a big head? o,O
Maybe he's sick of people giving him unwarranted bullshit despite all the work and time he's put into making this board for us.

Lithium
05-04-2004, 07:30 PM
I was kidding Thrak. I appreciate this board and the work Dan and all the mods do for it. Really. <3 dan <3

Thrakandor
05-04-2004, 07:51 PM
I was kidding Thrak. I appreciate this board and the work Dan and all the mods do for it. Really. <3 dan <3
*Narrows eyes in contemplation*

Lithium
05-04-2004, 08:34 PM
I wasn't being sarcastic...