PDA

View Full Version : Ah, Memories...

Andy DV
11-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Although I feel "Part of Me" is rather straight foward in its meaning even though it may have a much deeper meaning for the band, I thought I'd share my personal admiration for the song. "Part of Me" was the first TOOL song I ever consciously listened to, even though I recall a friend of mine having a copy of Aenima and may have heard some of it without realizing it. I can remember everything about that experience. It was on a cassette tape about two years ago that my buddy had. I immediately became borderline obsessed with TOOL and purchased "Opiate" that night, and the rest is history. I can now proudly say I am clinically obsessed. I've seen them twice in concert and hope to see them again soon. If I had one regret, it would be that I didn't hear that song sooner. I'd be interested to see some other fans write about their first TOOL experience, so feel free to respond to this post with yours.

idiotboy
11-21-2002, 11:47 PM
like so many others, i first saw the video for "sober" as soon as it came out, more or less. i was only 10 years old at the time, but i was damn impressed. however, i never got the chance to buy a tool album until aenima, 3 years later.

i bought aenima after seeing the video for "stinkfist" and being reminded just how badass tool's music was. being 13 then, i was a little unnerved by the more experimental tracks "cesaro summability" and "die eier von satan". but i stuck with the album and listened more and more and i guess i got desensitized to it, heh heh. and i never looked back! now i own all 5 major releases and made the moronic mistake of giving my sober cd single to an ex-girlfriend about 6 months before she dumped me. :(

ragna16
11-23-2002, 09:37 AM
It was a school trip to an Island for Biology. Chase said, hey listen to Tool. I remember 46+2, Pushit, and Aenema.

I said, 'Chase, this is good stuff'. And from that moment on I've been listening to Tool.

Vincent
11-28-2002, 11:25 PM
A long time ago, I always heard Sober on the radio. (I was 5 at the time it came out, heh) The first video I remember seeing was Prison Sex. And this was.......in 1996, strangely. We were new to my dad's apartment, and I thought the video was odd.

A few years later, a friend let me use his Lateralus album.....I listened to a few songs, didn't like/understand it much. But when I heard Lateralus.......damn. That's when I really found out what this band was about. I loved them from that point on. I listened through the rest of the album again with a different look on things, and loved it.

Luckily, my dad had all the other CD's (except Salival)....so I just pulled them off the rack and listened. I was obsessed.

And here I am today, downloading two Tool music videos at the same time.

Googadust
12-07-2002, 02:00 AM
I had heard some Tool on the radio every now and then for a long time, and remember liking it. However, the first time I really listened to Tool was with a friend at this one-week summer camp thing, where he had me listen to parts of Aenima. I liked it a lot, and it grew more and more, until they became my favorite band by far. 46&2 was the song that really got me into it the first time.

brector
12-10-2002, 08:20 AM
I guess I am lucky! I first heard them in about '92 or '93 in highschool. A good buddy was always bringing in good new tunes on his disc man. He had Opiate and I listened to it. I remember the phrase "The sun is burning hot again on the hunter and the fisherman" - the music sounded so different from anything I had heard. I really only liked a few songs off the cd at first listen - Sweat, Hush, and Opiate. Then each time I would listen to it - I would like another song or part of a song. The rest is history :)