PDA

View Full Version : Think about it.

Hurt
11-19-2002, 08:46 PM
I think Tool used this recording simply to make us think. We all know it was a hoax phone call to some radio station; but if we think about this recording, on its own, we can get alot out of it. Government oppression; possibility of life above humans, but-most of all-

The narrator on this recording seemed to be more terrified and angry with the government than he was with these extra-dimensional beings whom intended to wipe out reality. Isn't that frightening? Aliens, monsters, killers, etc. None of them are as directly frightening to many of us as is our own government...

mps
11-21-2002, 06:23 PM
Maybe something's are better left unanalyzed.
Try enjoying the ending for what it is.. just the ending.

If Tool didn't release another album, would you feel full?
The song left me hungry for another album. I can't wait.

(I don't actually eat the albums... just the wrappers)

The Border Line
11-22-2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by mps
(I don't actually eat the albums... just the wrappers)

Heh, that actually made me laugh.

I feel dumb.

damnable
11-22-2002, 01:39 PM
Faaip de Oiad...the voice of god. On some Tool site somewhere, I read that the voice of god was akin to the end of the world. Then again, one who is supremely paranoid and/or egotistical could find that his or her world has been shattered by the realization that there are, yes, others out there. Who are the aliens? Well, to quote Slater of the fine Richard Linklater film, Dazed and Confused, "We're the aliens, man." A realization of the same kind occurred to me the other day, when I was talking to a friend about nervousness in social situations. In large part, everyone around you, even those who seem to have it all together, gets insecure and most find it difficult to break outside of their shells for long enough to take a chance and meet a stranger. "No man is an island," truly. But many people are.

Having personally been through deeply traumatic and psychichally distressing situations, though I am not the only one, I know the feeling. Shit, I know it right now, writing this. To be brutally honest, I have often felt like "others" were trying to contact me and that the voices in my head are not merely representative of a drug-stimulated psychosis. So what? Again, I'm sure I'm not alone. The problem with this is that those who do not feel this way are the status quo and they make the conventions that keep friendly psychotics quiet, at bay, on drugs, in hospitals, whatever. No one talks about it for fear of institutionalization or being labelled as "fucked-up" or "crazy" by the rest of society. Let me tell you, most people really don't care about the voices in your head, if you are otherwise honest with them and you don't act completely irrationally.

Regarding the man in "Faaip de Oiad", it is completely possible that the man on the phone was crazy, but by the same token, he could be completely sane and experiencing something to which many are not privy. Either way, this man did not act irrationally, as long as he could not reason that his action was irrational. The story surrounding the call makes his story more plausible, but so does the story surrounding the bombing of Afghanistan. Not to discredit either side, but a story is a story. Extra-dimensional beings? Why not? If you can rationalize to yourself or if you already believe that an omnipotent force has an effect on your life personally, congratulations, you have just passed physics. Many people believe in gods of all shapes and sizes, which amount in my mind to nearly the same thing as extra-dimensional beings. Two points of advice. 1) Since your reality is mostly based on how you interpret it, try not to see your god as a malevolent, angry one. 2) Don't take my word for it. There are many gods from which to choose or you can create your own - just don't think your god has anything to do with anyone else's life.

This is just my interpretation of the song, so it is by no means authoritative. The members of Tool may very well feel differently than I do about this situation and, considering the tone and theme of their first album, Opiate, I'm guessing that its more than possible. On the other hand, they might agree or they might not think anything of my opinion, because they haven't read it. What Maynard, Danny, Adam, and Justin think is not the point. Tool uses a Timothy Leary quote at the opening of Salival to make clear that they want you to "Think for yourself." So if you think my opinion is bullshit, let me know. And try to come correct, or at least coherent.

paraflux
11-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Has anyone seen the Outer Limits when the kids listen to that transmission from aliens at raves and such, and the sounds help them evolve to be able to withstand the shift to a more ultraviolet sun? At the end when they showed the fully changed kids, they looked like our version of "grey" aliens. Anyway, the call to the Art Bell show may have been a hoax, or it may have been squashed and called a hoax, but the idea of aliens being extradimensional beings go along with the theme of the last 4 songs. If the grid to the next dimension is complete, and we are to start using it, no wonder the government hasn't told us there are aliens. We as Americans wouldnt believe them because we cant imagine, as a race, another dimension. I think it was put on the album for a reason, to further help people understand what is about to happen.

akinoyugure
11-25-2002, 03:50 AM
I had to alter your statement to make it more coherent. I think it is an accurate modification. While semantically it may differ slightly from what you mean, it can be applied to your statements effectively.

You state that “this man did not act irrationally, as long as he could not reason that his action was irrational”. By eliminating double negatives, I assume you mean “this man acted rationally, as long as he could reason that his action was rational”. Altered again, for definition purposes “this man acted rationally, as long as he could rationalize it to himself” (“reasoning something is rational” = rationalizing).

This is a false statement. There is a big difference between something being “rational” and the ability to “rationalize” something.
Rational: 1) Having or exercising the ability to reason. (rooted in logic)
Rationalize: 1) To make rational, 3) To devise self-satisfying but incorrect reasons for one's behavior

Do you mean to say that everyone is rational as long as they can convince themselves of it? Or put your way, they are not irrational as long as they can’t determine they are irrational? I disagree. Truly everyone can “rationalize”, but that is simply delusion. Delusion is not a good thing.

“Extra-dimensional beings? Why not? If you can rationalize to yourself or if you already believe that an omnipotent force has an effect on your life personally, congratulations, you have just passed physics.”

I passed physics without acknowledging any Extra-dimensional “beings”, granted I am not a physics major. The ability to “rationalize to yourself” the existence of something is nothing to congratulate. Once again, I think your definition of being rational is more accurately termed “delusion”.

“Two points of advice. 1) Since your reality is mostly based on how you interpret it, try not to see your god as a malevolent, angry one. 2) Don't take my word for it. There are many gods from which to choose or you can create your own - just don't think your god has anything to do with anyone else's life. “

The second point. If one has this convenient ability to create a god made up of any qualities one desires, imagine the outcome. Your “rational” (I call “rationalizing”) individual has a God to back him up when he commits whatever action his God tells him to - “When he speaks, he speaks through me”. Creating your own God is more like granting yourself infinite power, or at least greater power than you should be allotted. That’s how war gets started. As for the second half of that point, if your god truly has nothing to do with anyone else’s life, then why is it a god at all? Let’s just call it the voice inside our head.

Being “rational” is rooted in logic. Being “rationalizing” is an excuse to satisfy oneself. This seems to be the case with what you are describing. Satisfying oneself with a God one has created. Satisfying oneself with the existence of aliens because one likes the idea. How convenient, but completely irrational.

hateandvaseline
11-30-2002, 10:27 AM
Hurt, you seem to be the only one who knows it's a hoax. And MPS, I think a lot of Tool's music is overanalyzed. It would be fun to overanalyze some N*Sync or Creed.

Chuckhawk
12-02-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by hateandvaseline
It would be fun to overanalyze some N*Sync or Creed.

I don't think so, because then we would have to listen to it, and let me tell you: thats no fun.

hateandvaseline
12-04-2002, 05:45 AM
I was kidding, lol... I was just using those two as an example for how you can overanalyze music.

I would rather throw myself into a large oncoming bus than listen to that shit.

damnable
12-18-2002, 01:25 PM
Wow. It's always good to have hypocrisy pointed out, even when it's my own. I agree with everything you said, akinoyugure. It's a good thing that my definition of thinking for myself allows me to accept others' ideas as having a rational basis, otherwise I'd be crushed. Like a june bug. '

Thank you for so mercilessly pointing out the flaws in my argument; only when we are honest in our appraisal of others can they grow from it. If I were drunk, I'd challenge you to meet me outside. But I'm not and...it just wouldn't work, what with the nature of the internet.

I'll try to keep in mind the difference between rational and rationalization - and you, akinoyugure, may the force be with you.

realitytrip
12-18-2002, 06:07 PM
That call may very well have been a hoax.. but if what the guy said was in fact true.. You know the government has the power to cover it up without question.. they could have called back and said it was a hoax.. and with that thought.. The statement could be true.. and thats a pretty entertaining thought..

exojjl
02-13-2005, 12:32 AM
“Two points of advice. 1) Since your reality is mostly based on how you interpret it, try not to see your god as a malevolent, angry one. 2) Don't take my word for it. There are many gods from which to choose or you can create your own - just don't think your god has anything to do with anyone else's life. “

The second point. If one has this convenient ability to create a god made up of any qualities one desires, imagine the outcome. Your “rational” (I call “rationalizing”) individual has a God to back him up when he commits whatever action his God tells him to - “When he speaks, he speaks through me”. Creating your own God is more like granting yourself infinite power, or at least greater power than you should be allotted. That’s how war gets started. As for the second half of that point, if your god truly has nothing to do with anyone else’s life, then why is it a god at all? Let’s just call it the voice inside our head.

Being “rational” is rooted in logic. Being “rationalizing” is an excuse to satisfy oneself. This seems to be the case with what you are describing. Satisfying oneself with a God one has created. Satisfying oneself with the existence of aliens because one likes the idea. How convenient, but completely irrational.

you just explained the point behind why "GOD" was written in the mans brain in the booklet art for lateralus. Ive been thinking along these lines, but didnt know how to word it.

Fractal
03-07-2005, 01:12 PM
God exists in a state of superposition (come on, physics here...). That's why I thought it was in the brain. The brain can not comprehend itself. As soon as you say what God is, it stops being that specific idea. How can this be? If we are the children of God, we are the only link to the proof of God. The universe was created by it, so whatever is not created is not. You can apply that to anything.... I'm just waiting to be picked on that one, but know I have a background in philosophy and science. I'm just trying to make sense out of the 'facts' presented.
On to the enochian: After that call was placed in to Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM, the satellite for the station went out for one hour. Then, after that, the call was said to be a 'hoax'. Don't rule out truth or lies.
Yes it could be a hoax, but the message is the effect on mankind. The beings are to be ascertained as evil, so in a social commentary: everyone is trying to sell their product. Companies milk things. This really changes our view of reality! What sees is the observer (do your eyes see? that is like saying your hands are the central unit for touch. they are are not, it registers in your brain and a impulse is relayed.). But we don't know where the observer is located in us! So it's hard to say that anything actually is real. It is only real if you believe it is real. We are obsessed with making money and commercialization. That becomes real, and as all fans of dr.leary's magic dots know: what is real is only you. Money is just an idea, just like everything else. Roads are ideas. The ideas then become instituitions and so and so forth. But why would a rock band be trying to say this? That's right, to reiterate the aforementioned: they also started out a cd with 'think for yourself' from "How to Operate Your Brain". It's all up to you. And I believe that Tool makes stuff like this to make us analyze it! Otherwise they would tell us the answers. But if you don't want to, it is really nice to just listen. So, Think for yourself. It's all you really do anyway.