PDA

View Full Version : LateralIs

TheAbstraction
04-05-2004, 11:32 PM
you guys know that the album is called lateralus coz its all about using the right side of our brains right? the lateral-thinking side. so its lateral-us. so i think the album was meant to say lateral-is. the lateral side IS the best side, its the RIGHT side etc hehe so deep.

TheAbstraction
04-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Female side & male side......interesting
nah dude, im totally not talking about the masculine side and the feminine side. 1 side is for logical thinking etc the other side is the dream world. so if you act like all women are JUST all mathematic, than thats sexist.

neo_taboolie
04-08-2004, 04:09 AM
[...]the lateral side IS the best side, its the RIGHT side
A brain has two halves... The right side cannot exist without the left...

What you are thinking about was a printing error... The album is "lateralus", as is the song...

TheAbstraction
04-15-2004, 05:53 PM
yeah but the album aenima is spelt that way while the song is spelt aenima. how do you know it was a spelling error? did tool tell you this in person? for fuck sake, does this ring a bell?.. "think for yourself, question authority" and "question everything." thats cool mcroggles i dont think i knew that!! i know the brain has to have both sides, didnt i mention that? anyway, i think the right side is way better. its where most of the truth in the world is, at least for me! also man, i think youre wrong.
i saw a documentary awhile ago that said you could cut the brain and 2 and they would be 2 seperate working brains. the only thing is they dont know if it could make 2 different people. how could a printing error happen?? well i know its possible, but thats weak. my thing was just a funny theory anyway, im not totally behind it. i dont know what the truth is.

crow011
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
you guys know that the album is called lateralus coz its all about using the right side of our brains right? the lateral-thinking side. so its lateral-us. so i think the album was meant to say lateral-is. the lateral side IS the best side, its the RIGHT side etc hehe so deep.

shut the fuck up . . .

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-16-2004, 01:51 PM

....... I think............................................. ............................... I don't think anything about that post... good idea, bad supporting evidence... they meant lateralus.

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-16-2004, 01:52 PM
shut the fuck up . . .

that explains my feelings more harshly... haha Crow's back to the flaming... hopefully

crow011
04-18-2004, 05:52 AM
no, i just felt that that needed to be said . . .

theres a time and a place, kids . . .

corps d'allumen
04-19-2004, 09:40 AM
I like your opinion. I think of it like they're saying lateral-us, like "we are lateral." And that view of it, to me, gives a good meaning to the supposed misprint of 'lateral-is' on older copies. (In fact, I bought a new copy 2 years after it came out, and it still said 'is'...) The song has a definite 'instruction' or statement-of-purpose feel to it, esp. the breakdown part with "embrace my desire to..." etc. Being lateral, like US, IS this. Spiral out, keep going on and on to enevitable nothingness and infinity; the reduction of matter to the essence of everything...
"To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human."

corps d'allumen
04-19-2004, 09:47 AM
left side of brain (1) + right side of brain (1) = one entity, one being; an 11.
in numerology, the number eleven is the master number. the name 'jesus' reduces to the number eleven. symbolically, what did jesus have? christ-consciousness; a lack of divison between the logical and the emotional, the male and his anima (the female and her animus); being one within yourself. a connection to all life through unconditional love. that's what this whole album is about. (eleven and SHE was gone... waiting for me to free HIM by...) the logical left side sees division everywhere; black and white, good and evil, god and the 'devil'. the emotional right side knows through feeling that there is one all-encompassing 'god', although it can't explain it. any child will tell you god is there 'because he is.' no deep theological discussions because they are incapable of it; it just is because they feel it. when did we lose that? (a child's rhyme stuck in my head said that life is but a dream. i've spent so many years in question to find i've known this all along.) nobody talks about the inner-child when it was just the child, before we repressed it. it's just become all that cliched crap of "getting in touch w/ your inner-child." this is getting long, so i'll stop here.

tcM_Emperor
04-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Saying all women are mathematical would be down-right insane. They're the exact opposite, no logic, no creativity, invent nothing of importance, fill no significant roles. They're meant to suck my dick, cook me pies and clean my house.

dawn
04-21-2004, 05:55 PM

..and I say again...

...Lateralus is 'of the outside'...

AllforUnity
04-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Man...that's harsh.

corps d'allumen
04-23-2004, 12:17 AM
hmmm.. there's a song on 13 step called "the Outsider"

perhaps both albums were conceived (with the colloboration with all 4 band members) from someone outside the band.. but who?
The Devil, man, the Devil...

corps d'allumen
04-23-2004, 12:26 AM
i think they are definitely tied together, tool and a perfect circle, but with a more personal view of (from) MJK than i think ænima & lateralus are linked together according to his life specifically. i think all songs written by a man will have a flavor of his own life's inspirations, but to focus on the 'personal life' issue of him in the songs' lyrics, puts the two bands in a 'left brain, right brain' relationship, as opposed to two albums by the same aspect. the left brain (tool) is masculine & logical, while the right brain (apc) is emotional and feminine. (also illustrated in: the contrasting lyrical tone and content, the long hair vs. the bald head, intricate complexity vs. beautiful simplicity, etc.)
Yeah, it's an old one. Yeah, I'm lazy. Yeah, I just quoted myself... hehehe

iknowmaynard
04-24-2004, 10:06 PM
maybe this helps (http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/archive/index.php/t-1533)

AllforUnity
04-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Which person? All of it?