PDA

View Full Version : 3D art for my band

Matteran
01-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Here's a scene that I made, I decided to post it, because most of the images I saw here we two dimensional, and I thought you guys would appreciate something like this... well I would. This is entitled HollowCrist, but that was just a quick little name. This is probably going to be the cover for my band's demo (well, not MY band)... our band's demo. The band name is neuroleptic, and a website should be coming soon. Tell me what you think, and if you want, I can show you guys more.

http://www.morphedmedia.com/tdn/view.php?id=063302PM.jpg

Paladin
01-09-2003, 11:51 AM
its a very good 3-d rendering, but as a demo cover, it looks kinda cheesy :S, just my thaughts.

Chuckhawk
01-09-2003, 02:05 PM
I think its very cool, but I agree with Paladin that it wouldn't look too good as a demo cover. Perhaps you could do what tool did with the cow licking itself in undertow?

Matteran
01-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Well thanks for the thoughts about that. I have a few ideas about some other covers. I'm not sure about just copying Tool, umm... while we are greatly influenced by them, musically, we have our own ideas of life, art, and how we put our thoughts to lyrics.

This is an example of something else. It would be different, but I don't have any really good examples right now.

http://www.morphedmedia.com/tdn/view.php?id=110718PM.jpg

I get what you mean about the render being a little weird, but what do you mean "cheesy?" Like I'm trying too hard to use 3d stuff, or it's too religiously suggestive (I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there). I really would like some ideas about what the public would be more interested in.

Crap, I just remembered, that the Original render you guys saw was for a music video. Instead, the following image is the actual idea for a Demo Cover (it's not really different, but has a different mood about it completely). sorry about that, but thanks for the comments on the render itself

http://www.morphedmedia.com/tdn/view.php?id=111221PM.jpg

Well, that's my post, tell me what you think, about everything in this post. Thanks.

alexS
01-10-2003, 05:12 AM
here it is:
1. Its not realistic
2. Colours dont match
3. The 3d textures aren't all too good

Try rendering something closer, with more detail. Also, play around with the lighting and colours. good luck

Matteran
01-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Thanks a lot. I'll work on more realism next time around.

dan
01-10-2003, 10:17 AM
i thought they were pretty good. nice :)

mike tyson
01-10-2003, 12:03 PM
pretty nice, they look good, just as some others said, they can use slight modifications. i was curious as to what program you used to edit the art? did you download it off the net or buy it? thanks! : )

Matteran
01-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks again for the comments. About the programs, I have 3ds max 5 (i got it from a college), and Photoshop 7. Also the hand with the eye in them (the inverted image, with the reflections) was a real painting. So I didn't make that texture.

alexS
01-10-2003, 05:33 PM
i might sponsor you with a flash website, email me.
[email protected]

Paladin
01-10-2003, 05:43 PM
when i say cheesy i mean it looks 1) not really like an album cover, it looks like maybe something that woudl go on the inside, cover art just has a differnt feel, and 2) it looks like it was rendered straight from the 80's.

Pro_Art
01-11-2003, 12:26 PM
I think the artwork is excellent! I'm not one to judge what would look catchy on an album cover. My tastes in art differ too much from the mainstream to be able to give suggestions on how to improve your art to catch the sheep's eye.

Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)

Matteran
01-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Yeah, that's kinda how our band felt about the whole art thing. We just decided to use art that we felt expressed our views. Thanks for helping bring that up Pro_Art.

Chuckhawk
01-11-2003, 05:54 PM
I really like the one with the hands that see, nice work on that one.

psilomind
01-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Good... though you should try subdividing some of the polygons to make the rendered image smoother. I'd like to submit some work like this soon, but I just switched over to Maya (PLE) and am still getting used to it. Keep up the good work.

Jebus
01-16-2003, 02:38 AM
Those pics are real cool. I myself like the hand/eye one better, but hey, that's just me.

Sigh... I wish I had something substantial to say...

Matteran
01-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Here's a band picture that we are using for a flyer that will advertise our next show.

It's not really 3d art, but hey, it's art...photography

http://www.morphedmedia.com/tdn/view.php?id=071708PM.jpg

Tell me what you think.

Limo
02-01-2003, 05:34 AM
Your photo is cool, the tree almost looks like a japanese ink drawing. I love it.

I also love the 3d hands with the eye inside, i would develop this some more for your cd artwork.

Now the other ones, I think your concept is sound (i like the title "hollowchrist") but you really need to look around and check out some other bands cd art, believe me this really helps.

:)

Matteran
02-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks for your suggestions